Page 161 of 668 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261661 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 10008

Quote Originally Posted by GrampaGen View Post
    His appearances were sporadic, but he did have quite a bit of interaction and a couple story arcs revolving around his character. But he was rather unique in his position as a corporate silent parter in the SHR2 world at large and one of two scientific geniuses exclusive to the Titans' faction as they were on the run, so he had something particular to offer that was uniquely his.

Not sure if putting corpses on ice will be as useful to a group as the ability to manufacture and reverse engineer technology, say.
    Correct, really. Jason was a great asset, he just sucked. Edan actually kind of had a point in not kicking him off the team, as he did wipe out the Legion possessed Solarians and such. He was considerably less useful before the Titans were lost arc, but still...

Also, a few things:

In my searching of old SHR threads...

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...=1#post7234357

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...ct#post8260456

1. Mara's mistake was curious.
    2. OMG Grinthorn vs Dragon Dorm was cooler than the Titans vs The Queen of the Black Moon. Just, wow. The scale of that fight.

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

courtney love gen?

its a wonder your guy is still kickin
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Starting the operation! GrampaGen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    courtney love gen?

its a wonder your guy is still kickin
    He's very resilient, but is also jaded as all hell now.

Ladies, damaged goods for sale over here XD

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Torment View Post
    Okay, here is the possible substitute. Comments would be appreciated.

NAME: Marisa Raine

HERITAGE/RACE: Caucasian

WEAPON TYPE/MARTIAL SKILL: Nunchucks, and an improvised kickboxing style

APPEARANCE: Marisa is a rather large girl (6'3 and 165 pounds). She wears a cowboy hat (with a stylized dragon design) and a poncho, along with a wool shirt and wool chaps that reach down to her leather boots. She can be described as cute, although her fearsome personality and her scar blunts that descriptor more often than not. She has short red hair and bright green eyes, along with a rather prominent scar across her face from the bridge of her nose down to her lips.

CHARACTER HISTORY & PERSONALITY: Marisa came from a middle class family, growing up rather normally for the most part. Well, aside from her overactive imagination. What caught her attention were old picture books that described what people thought to be accurate representations of the past. Unfortunately, they were romanticized notions of a bygone era that Marisa would call 'The Age of the Cowboys and Priests'. Drawn in by these stories, she dreamt up her own version of events. How close her ideas are to the true history of the world depend on what people think the true history is.

Given the banning of firearms, Marisa had to make-do with her imagination until the day her powers manifested. When that happened.... Well, Marisa the Lawbringer was what she started calling herself. As she would say, "I'm no desperado". She went on a little powertrip, only coming back down when she had a chance encounter with a true monster, the butcher that called himself the Snowblower. Although she was scarred by her experience, she didn't give up her dreams of bringing order to the city. She was just more realistic about it afterwards. What she needed was an education in the usage of her powers. She had to be responsible with them, after all. Only afterwards could she be a real keeper of the peace, or so she thinks.

Marisa is both serious and energetic, a real oddball that wants to protect and serve the public. She's not the kind that worries about her teammates, preferring independence most of the time. Belief is an important part of her life, and her principles cannot be shaken easily. One should not consider her to be a kind person, though. She's harsh in her honesty, giving out compliments very rarely. Her personal code is not one that allows for much friendliness, although she is not always so inclined towards hostility.

PERSONAL SKILLS: Sewing and Baseball

POWER TYPE: Elemancer

Speed: 5

Air: 5

- Lasso
    "I'm pretty good with the real thing. This version should be a lot easier to handle, though."

This is her most basic power. She can create an invisible lash of air that extends up to 5 meters, and can do everything an ordinary lasso can. From tying people up to snagging objects from afar, this versatile ability should not be underestimated.

Lasso durability: Equal to Air
    Lasso strength: A number of kilograms equal to Air x 5

- Colt
    "Oh, this? Just the gun Cowboy initiates get. Maybe one day, I'll find a real model instead of having to make-do with my powers."

This is her first attack power. Holding up her hand in the shape of a gun, Marisa can fire air bullets. A very simple attack, with moderate strength. Her bullets travel without losing speed or strength, disappearing abruptly when they impact an object and come to a complete halt or when they reach their maximum range. She does not have to account for other factors such as gravity or bullet drop, it merely travels in a straight line.

Firing rate: As fast as she can move her thumb
    Projectile Speed: Equal to Air (to a maximum of 25)
    Projectile Strength: Equal to Air (to a maximum of 25)
    Range: A number of meters equal to Air x 2
    Honestly, she sounds like Cowboy Tabitha. She just happens to aim for 'serve the public' rather than 'personal power'.

(ET's Esper Shift RPG character, for those not in the know)

The cowboy schnick is of course fun to play, but I'm not sure what separates her from your Esper Shift character.

Archnemesis of Reason FarBeyondC's Avatar

APPEARANCE: Marisa is a rather large girl (6'3 and 165 pounds). She wears a cowboy hat (with a stylized dragon design) and a poncho, along with a wool shirt and wool chaps that reach down to her leather boots. She can be described as cute, although her fearsome personality and her scar blunts that descriptor more often than not. She has short red hair and bright green eyes, along with a rather prominent scar across her face from the bridge of her nose down to her lips.

CHARACTER HISTORY & PERSONALITY: Marisa came from a middle class family, growing up rather normally for the most part. Well, aside from her overactive imagination. What caught her attention were old picture books that described what people thought to be accurate representations of the past. Unfortunately, they were romanticized notions of a bygone era that Marisa would call 'The Age of the Cowboys and Priests'. Drawn in by these stories, she dreamt up her own version of events. How close her ideas are to the true history of the world depend on what people think the true history is.

Given the banning of firearms, Marisa had to make-do with her imagination until the day her powers manifested. When that happened.... Well, Marisa the Lawbringer was what she started calling herself. As she would say, "I'm no desperado". She went on a little powertrip, only coming back down when she had a chance encounter with a true monster, the butcher that called himself the Snowblower. Although she was scarred by her experience, she didn't give up her dreams of bringing order to the city. She was just more realistic about it afterwards. What she needed was an education in the usage of her powers. She had to be responsible with them, after all. Only afterwards could she be a real keeper of the peace, or so she thinks.

Marisa is both serious and energetic, a real oddball that wants to protect and serve the public. She's not the kind that worries about her teammates, preferring independence most of the time. Belief is an important part of her life, and her principles cannot be shaken easily. One should not consider her to be a kind person, though. She's harsh in her honesty, giving out compliments very rarely. Her personal code is not one that allows for much friendliness, although she is not always so inclined towards hostility.

- Lasso
    "I'm pretty good with the real thing. This version should be a lot easier to handle, though."

This is her most basic power. She can create an invisible lash of air that extends up to 5 meters, and can do everything an ordinary lasso can. From tying people up to snagging objects from afar, this versatile ability should not be underestimated.

- Colt
    "Oh, this? Just the gun Cowboy initiates get. Maybe one day, I'll find a real model instead of having to make-do with my powers."

This is her first attack power. Holding up her hand in the shape of a gun, Marisa can fire air bullets. A very simple attack, with moderate strength. Her bullets travel without losing speed or strength, disappearing abruptly when they impact an object and come to a complete halt or when they reach their maximum range. She does not have to account for other factors such as gravity or bullet drop, it merely travels in a straight line.

The underlined makes the lasso completely useless.

I'm a little confused concerning the use of nunchucks (which are not useless, despite other people thinking so) on a what is essentially a romanticized western gal, though given the overactive imagination, and the fact that current westerns are largely inaccurate to what actually happened, I can believe that nunchucks were present in the westerns that she watched. No less a stretch (especially for the gap in time between the era depicted in Westerns and the setting's time) than people believing real ninjas wore all black or could actually teleport and leave a log in their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    This is much better than Sloane. A character like the Snowblower would have been hard to make function in the group in any meaningful way being just sort of evil. Marisa on the other hand will, while still maintaining the ability for a darker edge, thanks to being not entirely sane.
    I honestly don't see why this would be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconX2000 View Post
    Honestly, she sounds like Cowboy Tabitha. She just happens to aim for 'serve the public' rather than 'personal power'.

The cowboy schnick is of course fun to play, but I'm not sure what separates her from your Esper Shift character.
    This, of course, is also really a non-issue.
    "That which does not grow falls into decay."

Utopia - Tetra Eisengard
    Lockdown - Kalak Fenras

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

no wonder hes got such high durability

first feat already
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

- Lasso

- Colt

Like I said via PM, she does strike me as more... I guess colorful then Sloane. Not sure which one I find more intereting, though.

Quote Originally Posted by WyldCard4 View Post
    This quote reinforces the problem I see with this character. That is the kind of statement a person who is pretending would make. It sounds like a self aware person making a joke about the whole thing. That doesn't quite mesh with the personality. Someone who is going out of the way to act like this is projecting an image very much on purpose. That's not clear from the profile.

The big thing here is this girl is neither insane or from another setting. If Marisa was mentally ill she could actually believe this was appropriate behavior. If she was from the Wild West this would be appropriate behavior and her world would seem insane. But a normal girl with an overactive imagination does not truly believe in this stuff.
    Actually, I like that: There's really no reason for her to be clinically delusional in her history, so her using the cowboy thing more as a template for what she aspires to be makes more sense then actually thinking she's a cowboy.

I find her to be a less hardened version of Blondie from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Now there was an anti-hero.
    Keep in mind, though, that dudes like Blondie got that way from a lifetime of being hardcore wild west bounty hunters.

We're talking about an overly-imaginative 18 year-old girl from a normal middle-class upbringing. Girl like that tend not to be hardcore by nature. And the fact that she basically pulled a Don Quixote, having read too many wild west stories, suggests she's actually a romantic. I'm not seeing a person like that being especially cynical. Though I could see her trying to act like a hardcore wild west bounty hunter, since that is her ideal.

Of course, all this is based on the assumption you are not hiding vital information from us.

"Her psychology just doesn't seem right."

Why, that must be a hint....
    Case in point.

Oh, you'd be surprised at how people can be unusually obsessed with something while being completely sane in all other respects.
    *raises hand* Asperger Syndrome represent, yo!

...But seriously, yeah, I've met people like this. They tend to be harmless.

Eh, there's nothing wrong with having a defined style and recycling character traits - I do that all the time. And you have to admit Tabitha is a fun character.
    Last edited by Ghost; 04-17-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Miburohunter929 View Post
    I now want to make Nero a villiain.

FUCK YEAH.
    I think you should make Nero a pyromaniac. Not a a fire elemanti or anything, just a regular pyromaniac.

All he wants is to see the city burn. oO

And then hell build a huge palace on its ashes.
    Last edited by Ghost; 04-17-2012 at 06:33 AM.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Oh, boy. Time to make a lot of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    This is much better than Sloane. A character like the Snowblower would have been hard to make function in the group in any meaningful way being just sort of evil. Marisa on the other hand will, while still maintaining the ability for a darker edge, thanks to being not entirely sane.
    Sloane's evil in the sense that he doesn't care. He's a dick, but he's not going to go out of his way to chop people up.

I feel that while Sloane's deal is more concretely defined and may be easier to play, Marisa simply has much more potential as a character, and has more room to grow further down the line.
    Hmm. Noted.

Well, Jason managed to function and managed to be super evil until the very end, but I generally agree. Sloane doesn't seem to be the sort to politically weasel his way into a position where people can't clobber him, at least from the current bio.
    Yeah, that's a big problem. I guess that if the other students found out, he could point out that he wouldn't have been let in if the teachers thought he was going to be a threat to people.

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Tabitha was nicer. Also, a key difference will be highlighted soon....

Quote Originally Posted by FarBeyondC View Post
    The underlined makes the lasso completely useless.

I'm a little confused concerning the use of nunchucks (which are not useless, despite other people thinking so) on a what is essentially a romanticized western gal, though given the overactive imagination, and the fact that current westerns are largely inaccurate to what actually happened, I can believe that nunchucks were present in the westerns that she watched. No less a stretch (especially for the gap in time between the era depicted in Westerns and the setting's time) than people believing real ninjas wore all black or could actually teleport and leave a log in their place.
    This, of course. And things'll get even more divergent from the truth later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Like I said via PM, she does strike me as more... I guess colorful then Sloane. Not sure which one I find more intereting, though.
    Eh, time will tell.

Actually, I like that: There's really no reason for her to be clinically delusional in her history, so her using the cowboy thing more as a template for what she aspires to be makes more sense then actually thinking she's a cowboy.
    Yes, it must mean her grip on reality is weak. Or maybe.... Well, why would she pick Cowboys over the truth?

Keep in mind, though, that dudes like Blondie got that way from a lifetime of being hardcore wild west bounty hunters.

We're talking about an overly-imaginative 18 year-old girl from a normal middle-class upbringing. Girl like that tend not to be hardcore by nature. And the fact that she basically pulled a Don Quixote, having read too many wild west stories, suggests she's actually a romantic. I'm not seeing a person like that being especially cynical. Though I could see her trying to act like a hardcore wild west bounty hunter, since that is her ideal.

Of course, all this is based on the assumption you are not hiding vital information from us.
    Yeah, she's trying to act like Blondie. I believe I muffed the wording on that one.

Case in point.
    Oh, it's nothing. Clearly misdirection there.

*raises hand* Asperger Syndrome represent, yo!

...But seriously, yeah, I've met people like this. They tend to be harmless.
    Unless they've got superpowers!

Eh, there's nothing wrong with having a defined style and recycling character traits - I do that all the time. And you have to admit Tabitha is a fun character.
    Yeah, I guess some chunks got taken out of Tabitha and implanted into Marisa.

I personally prefer Sloane, though I couldn't tell you why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    Also, I wonder how many folks are gonna abandon their original character power concepts when the new elements are introduced.
    My concept will stay the same up until the end.
    2. OMG Grinthorn vs Dragon Dorm was cooler than the Titans vs The Queen of the Black Moon. Just, wow. The scale of that fight.
    Told you.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

The Dog's girl character is a Cow girl. Sloane is well, unique. Really it is up to you, ET.

Cammy: He just needs someone to fix him! I can be there for that handsome and rugged badboy with a soft side!
    ~Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long, year, stole many a man's soul and faith.

So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste.

I made Miburo cry on his birthday.

Reached Demon-God Status

My Cat Is Afraid of the Vacuum Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Chrosis--you are a GOD!:D
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch Dude View Post
    Curses! CURRRRSEEEEESSSS!!!

BTW: I am so happy to hear about how everyone is disturbed or terrified by Axel.

As that is what I am going with.

Especially since the game has not even started yet.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell's Brigade's Avatar

Correct, really. Jason was a great asset, he just sucked. Edan actually kind of had a point in not kicking him off the team, as he did wipe out the Legion possessed Solarians and such. He was considerably less useful before the Titans were lost arc, but still...

Also, a few things:

In my searching of old SHR threads...

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...=1#post7234357

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...ct#post8260456

1. Mara's mistake was curious.
    I forgot.

Or, Mara just never saw Dean go Perfect Eyes.

But good catch, Wyld. I'll have to remember that Dean did in fact rock enough to have Jump Start and the Perfect Shingan Eyes.
    Black Knight of SO
    Co-COTM for Feb 2006
    The Midnight Rider.
    Owner of SO's W/I Shop.
    Bearer of the Rumbles Matrix of Leadership

Wins on CBR