Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Apr 2, 2012

Tim winds up with an unexpected sneak peak at Marvel's new Augmented Reality thanks to the premature release of "AvX" #1. Is Marvel AR a great bonus feature for readers or a failed attempt at enhancing comic books?

Full article here.

Picture Book Liker

Not to be too spoiler-y, but you forgot to mention the whole part about the issue not being very good. After Fear Itself's lackluster bunch of nothing that was billed as the Return of the Event, I was a little on-the-fence about AvX until I read #1 at my LCS last week. That convinced me to quietly get down off the fence and save my fifty-something dollars for something else. I hope those who are excited about AvX get all that they're hoping for, but this is yet another event I think I'll skip.
    I am, strangely enough, looking forward to the Avengers Academy tie-in issues. The FI issues of AA were some of the best of the series, in my opinion.
    Currently Reading: Hawkeye, Jupiter's Legacy, Mighty Avengers, Saga, Superior Spider-Man & Superior Foes (Bye: Fearless Defenders & Young Avengers)

I disagree. While I have not read A v X #1 YET, I have read AVENGERS 24.1, then A v X #0 and I AM ALL IN BABY! WOOHOO Cant wait for issue #1

It seems that some just want to cry about the nagative rather than get excited about the hobby. Where is the passion?
    Pull list: Almost every Marvel book, Age of Bronze, Captain Midnight, some Dynamite & Image. I AM DC COMIC FREE!

http://lordtoede.blogspot Scott M Davis's Avatar

I really wish this was something in AvX#0 telling us really how important it was to Wanda's story. Hopefully it'll be collected in the eventually AvX HC.
    Pull List: Valiant Titles, All New Marvel Now Titles, Popeye Classics, Haunted Horror.

Until I opened AVX #1, I had no idea the AR app meant there would be a load of stupid little icons dotted throughout the comic, distractingly popping up in various panels all the way through. I'm okay with gimmickry, but when it's gimmickry that actively detracts from my reading experience? It can fuck RIGHT off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McFeely View Post
    Until I opened AVX #1, I had no idea the AR app meant there would be a load of stupid little icons dotted throughout the comic, distractingly popping up in various panels all the way through. I'm okay with gimmickry, but when it's gimmickry that actively detracts from my reading experience? It can fuck RIGHT off.
    Hopefully those will disappear for the inevitable trade...

I'm surprised that, with all I've read about AR, I still don't know what the hell it is.

Supposedly, icons do things in the book but i don't get how that's possible in a paper comic. I've also missed anywhere that's suggests that these are NOT paper comics.

I stopped reading the article after getting so far into it and still not knowing how this advancement works (although I definitely got how much the writer was underwhelmed by it).
    Last edited by west3man; 04-03-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Auto-correct is a beast.
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm surprised that, with all I've read about AR, I still don't know what the hell it is.
    Same here.

Bridgeburner

Blargh...sounds stupid. I don't even have a cellphone let alone iPhone/Pad/whatever, so it is pretty much wasted on me.
    Why don't they just leave the embedded crap to the digital version. Have a setting so that you can turn off and on the AR icons or whatever and there you go. You are already on the internet if you are reading the digital version...if I'm reading a comic, why do I want to go and grab a scanner to find out that Brubaker really likes to eat cheese while writing dialogue for Luke Cage?