Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is it true that Storm can only use her powers if her eyes turn all white?

Well, i was told that Storm sees patterns of energy when her eyes turn white. And somebody even said she can't use her powers if her eyes don't turn to all white. Is this a fact?

PLease enlighten me.
    Ororo Munroe: I have no powers, my body cannot fly. But I no longer mind, for in my heart and soul -- where it truly matters -- I soar higher than the stars!

You haven't been lied to outright but... There are several instances where she used her powers and her eyes stayed blue.
    Hear me X-men! No longer am I the woman you once knew! I am fire and life incarnate! Now and forever...

I AM PHOENIX!

i need to see scans of this, 'cause i don't remember that ever happening -- unless the artist screwed up...
    XPOTM: APRIL 2012

be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth...

i'm lost...i've gone to look for myself...if i should return before i get back -- please ask me to wait...

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    You haven't been lied to outright but... There are several instances where she used her powers and her eyes stayed blue.
    I know but some Storm fans think that that should not be the case.

I really think Storm can use her powers either her eyes are blue or all white.
    Ororo Munroe: I have no powers, my body cannot fly. But I no longer mind, for in my heart and soul -- where it truly matters -- I soar higher than the stars!

BANNED

Didn't the white eye thing started when Portacio started art chores in Uncanny X-Men in the '90s?

Dead in a comic does not mean dead. No matter what THEY say.

I think they used to be always white. Or white and then white with lightning bolt when she "used." Back in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    Didn't the white eye thing started when Portacio started art chores in Uncanny X-Men in the '90s?
    Lord, no. White eyes were a common power manifestation effect drawn in Marvel since the 1970s, maybe earlier. Storm's eyes glowed white from her very first appearance on the cover of Giant Size X-men #1 circa 1975. But there have been instances where she used her powers while the pupils remained blue.

CTT Grand High Priest Windrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I know but some Storm fans think that that should not be the case.

I really think Storm can use her powers either her eyes are blue or all white.

Did you really need a thread to ask that question? You could have asked in her Appreciation threads.

And from what I have seen, no, her eyes do not have to turn white, as it has been shown many times in canon that she can use her powers and her eyes were normal. However, Storm shouldn't be able to manipulate the weather without being able to perceive the elements as energy and force, which is her powers work, and her energy sight is key to that. And she has used her energy sight a couple of times on pnale and her eyes were not glowing. Personally, I prefer her eyes to glow since it makes for a more visually appealing image of her using her powers.

like i said, scans are necessary for this discussion -- because i can't recall if it's fact and from where it grew out of...
    XPOTM: APRIL 2012

be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth...

i'm lost...i've gone to look for myself...if i should return before i get back -- please ask me to wait...

Quote Originally Posted by bakla View Post
    Lord, no. White eyes were a common power manifestation effect drawn in Marvel since the 1970s, maybe earlier. Storm's eyes glowed white from her very first appearance on the cover of Giant Size X-men #1 circa 1975. But there have been instances where she used her powers while the pupils remained blue.
    That's not entirely true. I distinctly remember one instance where it was said that her eyes turned black. I personally like to believe her eyes turn any color the sky turns.
    Believe me, if I'd felt it was the way to go, I would have done it. Thank the goddesses I didn't have to. But don't flatter yourself, you couldn't have stopped me if you tried - Storm

Reading what I can from Giant-Size up until the first movie, it seems like the correlation between her powers and eyes was whatever the writers and artists felt like, it was really loose and lax.

The 90s animated series seemed to make it that her eyes went all white when she used her powers, and then stayed normal otherwise, with exceptions based on inconsistencies. The movies did the same thing, just with greater attention to detail by necessity.

So my personal theory is that when Ororo's eyes glow white, she sees the energy patterns she needs to shape and harness to control the weather. She might technically be able to do it with her eyes their normal blue, but I get the feeling it'd be like trying to play a harp blindfolded while wearing gloves...you can't see or feel which strings to pluck, and run the risk of making a completely different sound than you intended.

There's no real confirmation one way or the other; the eye-glowing is just a visual cue for her emotional state, and whether or not she's using her powers, unless artists get lazy and just don't draw pupils, as was common in the early-to-mid 90s.
    Last edited by Ingonyama; 04-02-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    'Yama

My Top 25 X-Men
    (most microes by Blanchett, who's awesome. Go see her stuff!)

Quote Originally Posted by Windrider View Post
    Did you really need a thread to ask that question? You could have asked in her Appreciation threads.
    Rlaam jr just want a key to the XPOTM lounge.

.....this is kinda of a silly question. It's sorta like asking if Storm had no eye's would she be powerless.

Storms eye's turn white because that is just another part of how her mutation manifested but her abilities aren't dependent on her eyes in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    .....this is kinda of a silly question. It's sorta like asking if Storm had no eye's would she be powerless.

Storms eye's turn white because that is just another part of how her mutation manifested but her abilities aren't dependent on her eyes in anyway.
    I am sorry. Because 2 Storm fans believe on it and while I don't, I want to know what other Storm fans and non-Storm fans think.

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    I hope someone cuts out her eyes so we can find out.