Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MDV View Post
    If there's one thing I need more of in my comics it's diversity. I don't want good stories or characters. I don't need good art. In fact, I don't need art at all. That's just some guy forcing his preconcieved notions of how people look down my throat. As long as these books continue to have exactly one of every race and sexual orientation, then they are good. In fact they change my life.
    Ah, spoken like the true privileged individual you are.
    Snowstorm Comics is the newest comic book publisher. Releasing their first print "Kindred" from their upcoming comic, "Evolved" you can find out more at snowstormcomics.com

Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babybro View Post
    Ah, spoken like the true privileged individual you are.
    Yep. I'd agree. This thought process people have that diversity = good comic is just pure nonsense.

I would rather have nothing but well written books about hetrosexual white men between the age of 18-32 then poorly written, poorly constructed books about minorities. Heck i say kill all the books ABOUT diversity & lets keep the ones that incidentally possess diversity without it being the be all and end all of the product. In other words, give me WONDER woman any day, but take and burn every issue of wonder WOMAN. Its a shame that i've yet to see a WONDER woman comic book... There sure seem to be a lot of wonder WOMAN books out there though.

I've always thought that this focus on diversity over quality story telling is whats really holding back the diversity. After all as much as people talk a good game, no rational person purchase a book for diversity. They purchase a book for interesting story.
    Last edited by kelly_warrior_princess; 04-03-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDV View Post
    If there's one thing I need more of in my comics it's diversity. I don't want good stories or characters. I don't need good art. In fact, I don't need art at all. That's just some guy forcing his preconcieved notions of how people look down my throat. As long as these books continue to have exactly one of every race and sexual orientation, then they are good. In fact they change my life.
    I don't think this is about Affirmative Action. I think it's about telling a story, without trafficking in stereotypes, that more accurately reflects contemporary audiences and culture.

And appropriate diversity can be an element of a good comic. I think it's more noticeable by its absence than anything else. I don't think it's a bad thing to consciously include people who used to be always excluded, or defined by stereotypes as "the other," in current comics. To some degree, it might be trying to overcome a long-standing blind spot, so while it should not be heavy-handed, it is perhaps timely and welcome.

DGlendening,

Were you actually at the event, if so, what did Gail say about Cassandra Cain. Can we get anything more specific??
    Helena Wayne as the Huntress, horrible! RIP Helena Bertinelli April 1989 - August 2011 Rotten thing to do to your fans DC. Bait and switch. Horrible.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kelly_warrior_princess View Post
    Yep. I'd agree. This thought process people have that diversity = good comic is just pure nonsense.

I would rather have nothing but well written books about hetrosexual white men between the age of 18-32 then poorly written, poorly constructed books about minorities. Heck i say kill all the books ABOUT diversity & lets keep the ones that incidentally possess diversity without it being the be all and end all of the product. In other words, give me WONDER woman any day, but take and burn every issue of wonder WOMAN. Its a shame that i've yet to see a WONDER woman comic book... There sure seem to be a lot of wonder WOMAN books out there though.

I've always thought that this focus on diversity over quality story telling is whats really holding back the diversity. After all as much as people talk a good game, no rational person purchase a book for diversity. They purchase a book for interesting story.
    Please, show me some examples of books like that.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by X-23_1977 View Post
    DGlendening,

Were you actually at the event, if so, what did Gail say about Cassandra Cain. Can we get anything more specific??
    She didn't say much. An audience member said that Cassandra was his favorite incarnation of Batgirl, but that he wasn't completely happy with her recent depictions, and asked if Gail had any plans for the character. She was reluctant to say much, but she did tease at some future developments and projects featuring Cassandra. She kept it pretty tightly under wraps, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DGlendening View Post
    She didn't say much. An audience member said that Cassandra was his favorite incarnation of Batgirl, but that he wasn't completely happy with her recent depictions, and asked if Gail had any plans for the character. She was reluctant to say much, but she did tease at some future developments and projects featuring Cassandra. She kept it pretty tightly under wraps, though.
    Thank you D for that, its interesting hopefully something comes of it.
    Helena Wayne as the Huntress, horrible! RIP Helena Bertinelli April 1989 - August 2011 Rotten thing to do to your fans DC. Bait and switch. Horrible.