Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Senior Member babybro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDV View Post
    If there's one thing I need more of in my comics it's diversity. I don't want good stories or characters. I don't need good art. In fact, I don't need art at all. That's just some guy forcing his preconcieved notions of how people look down my throat. As long as these books continue to have exactly one of every race and sexual orientation, then they are good. In fact they change my life.
    Ah, spoken like the true privileged individual you are.
    Snowstorm Comics is the newest comic book publisher. Releasing their first print "Kindred" from their upcoming comic, "Evolved" you can find out more at snowstormcomics.com

  2. #17
    Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The City of Light
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babybro View Post
    Ah, spoken like the true privileged individual you are.
    Yep. I'd agree. This thought process people have that diversity = good comic is just pure nonsense.

    I would rather have nothing but well written books about hetrosexual white men between the age of 18-32 then poorly written, poorly constructed books about minorities. Heck i say kill all the books ABOUT diversity & lets keep the ones that incidentally possess diversity without it being the be all and end all of the product. In other words, give me WONDER woman any day, but take and burn every issue of wonder WOMAN. Its a shame that i've yet to see a WONDER woman comic book... There sure seem to be a lot of wonder WOMAN books out there though.

    I've always thought that this focus on diversity over quality story telling is whats really holding back the diversity. After all as much as people talk a good game, no rational person purchase a book for diversity. They purchase a book for interesting story.
    Last edited by kelly_warrior_princess; 04-03-2012 at 08:06 AM.

  3. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDV View Post
    If there's one thing I need more of in my comics it's diversity. I don't want good stories or characters. I don't need good art. In fact, I don't need art at all. That's just some guy forcing his preconcieved notions of how people look down my throat. As long as these books continue to have exactly one of every race and sexual orientation, then they are good. In fact they change my life.
    I don't think this is about Affirmative Action. I think it's about telling a story, without trafficking in stereotypes, that more accurately reflects contemporary audiences and culture.

  4. #19
    Senior Member chastmastr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,916

    Default

    And appropriate diversity can be an element of a good comic. I think it's more noticeable by its absence than anything else. I don't think it's a bad thing to consciously include people who used to be always excluded, or defined by stereotypes as "the other," in current comics. To some degree, it might be trying to overcome a long-standing blind spot, so while it should not be heavy-handed, it is perhaps timely and welcome.

  5. #20

    Default

    DGlendening,

    Were you actually at the event, if so, what did Gail say about Cassandra Cain. Can we get anything more specific??
    Helena Wayne as the Huntress, horrible! RIP Helena Bertinelli April 1989 - August 2011 Rotten thing to do to your fans DC. Bait and switch. Horrible.

  6. #21
    Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    13,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelly_warrior_princess View Post
    Yep. I'd agree. This thought process people have that diversity = good comic is just pure nonsense.

    I would rather have nothing but well written books about hetrosexual white men between the age of 18-32 then poorly written, poorly constructed books about minorities. Heck i say kill all the books ABOUT diversity & lets keep the ones that incidentally possess diversity without it being the be all and end all of the product. In other words, give me WONDER woman any day, but take and burn every issue of wonder WOMAN. Its a shame that i've yet to see a WONDER woman comic book... There sure seem to be a lot of wonder WOMAN books out there though.

    I've always thought that this focus on diversity over quality story telling is whats really holding back the diversity. After all as much as people talk a good game, no rational person purchase a book for diversity. They purchase a book for interesting story.
    Please, show me some examples of books like that.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."


    - Stanisław Jerzy Lec

    http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

  7. #22
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by X-23_1977 View Post
    DGlendening,

    Were you actually at the event, if so, what did Gail say about Cassandra Cain. Can we get anything more specific??
    She didn't say much. An audience member said that Cassandra was his favorite incarnation of Batgirl, but that he wasn't completely happy with her recent depictions, and asked if Gail had any plans for the character. She was reluctant to say much, but she did tease at some future developments and projects featuring Cassandra. She kept it pretty tightly under wraps, though.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DGlendening View Post
    She didn't say much. An audience member said that Cassandra was his favorite incarnation of Batgirl, but that he wasn't completely happy with her recent depictions, and asked if Gail had any plans for the character. She was reluctant to say much, but she did tease at some future developments and projects featuring Cassandra. She kept it pretty tightly under wraps, though.
    Thank you D for that, its interesting hopefully something comes of it.
    Helena Wayne as the Huntress, horrible! RIP Helena Bertinelli April 1989 - August 2011 Rotten thing to do to your fans DC. Bait and switch. Horrible.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •