Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.
    You do know that that applies only to actions of the goverment? It has no bearing on the acts of people or businesses.
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseUCF View Post
    I think you're both in agreement and just saying the same thing differently. I believe what he means is that it is already illegal to ask for this information, and once it is tested in court, the current law should be applied, and that should be the end of it.

I'm skeptical our judicial system will do the right thing, however, and I wouldn't mind a new law banning this practice explicitly.
    What he has been saying over the past several pages is that it's in a companies best interest to treat their employees well. Not only does that have nothing to do with their hiring process, but it's just not true. We've had to pass law after law regarding workers rights, and the largest and most profitable companies in this nation either continue to violate them as a matter of policy, or move the jobs to countries without such laws.

He also said that this will fix itself after successful discrimination lawsuits. Discrimination is impossibly difficult to prove, especially when it's not the kind of discrimination that is apparent by appearance, like unfair wages for women or a policy of not hiring black people. Discrimination based on political affiliation? There will be no lawsuit. The market will not, has not, and does not correct itself.

What he is saying is there is no use participating in activism regarding is. I believe he's dead wrong here. I think it's time for everyone who isn't an idiot to write their representatives. I think it's time to organize boycotts. I think it's time to get involved if we don't want to be discriminated against. Even if you're employed already (I am), it matters. It matters that Americans have rights. This is important. That is where me and him disagree
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Hopefully, Maryland is the first of 50 states to ban this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1417844.html
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier