Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    Thing is, nothing really significant changed about WW.
    Itīs the same person, give or take.

Her book may have changed a lot but the character itself?
    You could transplant Gail or RuckaīWW into this book and both would act pretty much like Azzīs Diana - give or take-.

Not Philīs WW, though.
    That would give a speech to the centaurs before caving their heads in. ^_^

J/K,
    We heart you, Phil. :D
    I disagree, there's a sweetness in the Perez, Messner-Loebs, Rucka, Jimenez and Heinberg versions of Diana that's lacking in Azzarello's. She just doesn't seem as nice and certainly not as smart.

Rucka's run was the most thoughtful and serious, but his Diana was still effortlessly kind. This was a woman who wouldn't come out and say she didn't like cilantro because she didn't want to insult her chef or hurt his feelings. I couldn't imagine her yanking Zola back 30 feet and letting her land on her ass. I can't see her icily watching a band she purports to like and never smile. I can't picture her snatching away Lennox's cigarette and throwing it in his beer, she would have stopped him before he lit it.

She also was more contemplative and tougher. She analyzed situations before acting and didn't go off half cocked. She'd at least ask pertinent questions before jumping to conclusions and into ineffective action. She wouldn't have suffered through Strife's bull$#*t the way Azzarello's version did. Goddess or not she would have avenged the deaths of her sisters or died in the attempt. She wouldn't have stabbed Strife with a wine glass, she would have hacked off her head.

There are plenty of differences and not all of them subtle.

Gone

NNAH!

Itīs the same person, you just donīt get to see her inner thoughts.

Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    I disagree, there's a sweetness in the Perez, Messner-Loebs, Rucka, Jimenez and Heinberg versions of Diana that's lacking in Azzarello's. She just doesn't seem as nice and certainly not as smart.
    Thats because she's not as nice... But neither is anyone else in the DCnU: Where the default personality is giant flaming arsehat.

Quote Originally Posted by jancy View Post
    Her theme is not truth.
    Agreeance. I've always thought that an actual secret id would have humanised her a lot, as she could no longer run around just being a stand in for a political ideal... She would actually need to be able to pass as human... Actually take part in the society she seems to think she is above.

It's love!
    Last edited by coveredinbees; 05-02-2012 at 05:57 AM.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly_warrior_princess View Post
    Agreeance. I've always thought that an actual secret id would have humanised her a lot, as she could no longer run around just being a stand in for a political ideal... She would actually need to be able to pass as human... Actually take part in the society she seems to think she is above.
    I always kinda thought the personification of Truth shouldn't really have a false identity. I like how she's just hiding in plain sight in civilian clothes.

I liked when she lied to Hippolyta, and Hippolyta thought it was hilarious and impressive.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

Diana as personification of truth was something Byrne devised-- one of the worst writers in her history. It's an idea best left on the dust heap.

BANNED

NNAH!

Itīs the same person, you just donīt get to see her inner thoughts.
    No she's not, actions speak louder than words and her actions are different.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kelly_warrior_princess View Post
    Thats because she's not as nice... But neither is anyone else in the DCnU: Where the default personality is giant flaming arsehat.

Is that why she worked at Taco Wiz?

Gone

No she's not, actions speak louder than words and her actions are different.
    Not really, no.

BANNED

Not really, no.
    Saying it doesn't make it true. Do you have any proof or examples to back up your assertion? I did.

Gone

Saying it doesn't make it true. Do you have any proof or examples to back up your assertion? I did.
    Sure I do.

Iīd just rather go play Skyrim, though.

BANNED

Sure I do.

Iīd just rather go play Skyrim, though.

Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    I always kinda thought the personification of Truth shouldn't really have a false identity. I like how she's just hiding in plain sight in civilian clothes.
    DIANA IS NOT THE PERSONIFICATION OF ANYTHING!

Just let her be a freaking character already. Seriously, this is the main reason why this character spent years pretty much sucking: Everyones insistence that she had to be a personification of some sort of ideal or another: Be it love, truth, feminism, loving submission, hungryness, whatever.

Is that why she worked at Taco Wiz?
    Sure & look at how long that didn't last.

Quote Originally Posted by jancy View Post
    Her theme is not truth.
    I liked that truth was a central theme for Wonder Woman. It had a poetic sensibility to it: Truth (WW), Justice (Bats) and the American Way (Supes).

It was a natural extrapolation of the revamped Lariat of Truth from Perez. Though, I flip flopped a bit about preferring the Magic Lasso that compelled people (to speak the truth) and the Lariat of Truth which burned away lies and deceptions.