Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    The Last Son of Krypton

I love the Byrne era, here are five reasons why.

1. The Sole Survivor of the Planet Krypton. One of the appeals to me is that he was the last survivor of his race. he was unique.

2. Not as powerful. The Pre-Crisis Silver Age/ Bromze age Superman was os powerful that he moved Planets. You really wonder why you needed other heroes. I liked that he struggled to move things and even had to use a space suit to go into Space. there were limitations and to his powers.

3. Clark a more competent reporter. Clark wasn't clumsy, etc. I know Byrne got this from the George Reeves version which I liked.

4. Lex Luthor is a self-made corrupt corperate tycoon from the suicide slums. Who's hatred of Superman is out of the jealousy of the love of the people of Metropolis for the hero.

5. Both the Kents are alive to guide and support Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by It's Superman View Post

2. Not as powerful. The Pre-Crisis Silver Age/ Bromze age Superman was os powerful that he moved Planets. You really wonder why you needed other heroes. I liked that he struggled to move things and even had to use a space suit to go into Space. there were limitations and to his powers.
    Yeah, the mass of the earth is 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms. That is just too uber powerful, that is turning Superman literally into a god. He literally shouldnt break a sweat with any sentient being in the DC universe.
    Action Comics, Animal Man, Aquaman, Batman, Batman And Robin, Batwing, The Flash, Superman, Swamp Thing

The Last Son of Krypton

Superman and Superboy:

Superman and Captain America:

Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man:

[IMG]2. Not as powerful. The Pre-Crisis Silver Age/ Bromze age Superman was os powerful that he moved Planets. You really wonder why you needed other heroes. I liked that he struggled to move things and even had to use a space suit to go into Space. there were limitations and to his powers.
    He needed an air supply for longer trips, but Byrne Supes flew around space with no suit all the time.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

The Last Son of Krypton

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    He needed an air supply for longer trips, but Byrne Supes flew around space with no suit all the time.
    My bad, I was thinking of Superman: The Animated Series with the whole space suit thing.

The Last Son of Krypton

The Last Son of Krypton

[

Superman and Superboy:

This cover is awesome. Observe Superman's classic costume, its sparing simplicity nothing busy, no mapped lines, no sharp angles, to distract the reader's attention away from the story, the action, or the art.
    Action Comics, Animal Man, Aquaman, Batman, Batman And Robin, Batwing, The Flash, Superman, Swamp Thing

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    The Bronze Age is my favorite era, it had elements of the Silver Age with a bit more grounded elements added in, Curt Swan was on the top of his game during that era. Jimmy Olsen's series was more enjoyable in that era too.

I hate Silver Age Lois Lane
    I'd love to see DC put out a HC Superman volume that focuses on Swan's work (like they've done for Batman with Gene Colan, Jim Aparo and Don Newton).

For me he's pretty much the definitive Superman artist, and they should do something that highlights his work. The guy was a great, great talent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swan.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	91256

A nice sketch by Swan that speaks to his talents I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swan.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	91256

A nice sketch by Swan that speaks to his talents I think.
    Love it! Here are quotes I picked up from the artist's wikipage:

Swan's artwork on Superman was a contrast to Wayne Boring, his Golden Age predecessor. Critic Arlen Schumer praises Swan's ability to depict "the spectrum of human emotion, from agony to anger, mournful to mirthful." As characterized by critic Paul Gravett, Swan's Superman made ". . . Krypton's last son in exile, the alien in our midst, into someone like us, who would think and feel as well as act, who was approachable, big-hearted, considerate, maybe physically superpowerful yet gentle, noble yet subtly tragic." In a similar vein, Swan biographer Eddy Zeno calls Swan "the Norman Rockwell of . . . comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Box View Post
    Love it! Here are quotes I picked up from the artist's wikipage:
    Glad you like it. Swan (for Superman) and Aparo (for Batman) are probably my two favorite DC artists of all-time. Maybe it's because I was raised reading their work, but their visions of those characters defined them for me. Probably only George Perez comes close to capturing the heroism of these characters as Swan and Aparo did.

In any event, Swan is definitely one of the most unheralded artists in the industry.

My bad, I was thinking of Superman: The Animated Series with the whole space suit thing.
    Which was mostly done for potential marketing purposes. Note that in JLU, he wears a more traditional breath mask when Amazo returns and Clark leads the League in opposing him.

The Last Son of Krypton

Last edited by It's Superman; 04-09-2012 at 06:02 AM.

I'm a little curious about the whole Jimmy/Lucy relationship, as we all know their relationship didn't end well in the Post Crisis era but the Silver Age they had a on and off relationship, and by the Bronze Age, Lucy Lane as much of appearances as her Silver Age era and there was a story arc where she disappeared for a while and was revealed to be turned into an elderly woman but eventually got her youth back but other than that plus a few appearances, I remember seeing Lucy in the Bronze Age Superman or Jimmy Olsen's stories I've read. So how did their Pre-Crisis relationship end up, were they together or did it fall through?
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN