Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Only thing is, this isn't Nazi Germany where people are burning old copies of Superman titles in effigy. Thus, preserving the old costume isn't even a question, just like the old costumes of yesteryear like the Golden Age look, George Reeves' costume, and so forth, are perfectly preserved today even though no longer in use.
    But there not preserving the old costume by pushing the new one down our throats. The fact remains that those in power at DC are trying to make their own history on a character that will be here long after we are all dead and buried. Make history by telling good stories and leaving a positive mark on the character and not by redesigning a historic costume by taking away a major element that has been there since the beginning. The Red Trunks have always been there and always should be there simply because it is the most Iconic and historic Comic Book character ever created.

It shouldn't matter if they look stupid or out of date. Not everything needs to be updated and changed just because there are those who think they know every God Damn thing and think they know what people want.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 04-03-2012 at 12:39 PM.

The classic costume is quite well preserved. The fact its been retired for a new one is completely irrelevant to the point. Is the old costume accessible? The answer is yes. Therefore, preserved.

As for current DC creators trying to make their own mark on the character...the fact you equate that to a bad thing is kinda astonishing. With characters as old as most in the comics industry, being way bigger than any one or one group of individuals, from a creative standpoint all there is to do is to make your own mark while you have the chance and add to the legacy. Is every creative act a smash hit? No, but with the hits will come the misses. For my part, I'd much rather have minds who are creative enough to try, however. I find it a sad state of affairs when Superman's own iconic status becomes a hindrance to the current incarnation. There are plenty of ways to honor a character's iconic status within locking them in stasis with current creative minds being unable to touch it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-03-2012 at 12:44 PM.

The classic costume is quite well preserved. The fact its been retired for a new one is completely irrelevant to the point. Is the old costume easy to access? The answer is yes. Therefore, preserved.

As for current DC creators trying to make their own mark on the character...the fact you equate that to a bad thing is kinda astonishing. With characters as old as most in the comics industry, being way bigger than any one or one group of individuals, from a creative standpoint all there is to do is to make your own mark while you have the chance and add to the legacy. Is every creative act a smash hit? No, but with the hits will come the misses. For my part, I'd much rather have minds who are creative enough to try, however. I find it a sad state of affairs when Superman's own iconic status becomes a hindrance to the current incarnation. There are plenty of ways to honor a character's iconic status within locking them in stasis with current creative minds being unable to touch it.
    There are plenty of other ways to make a mark then to touch something that just is. How about just leaving well enough alone and stop messing with the classics. Superman has grown beyond the medium that created him. The world has a vision of what Superman looks like and how he acts. IF they had just kept it in the comics then there would be bitching like me but it would have been less of a problem. Comics are a very small market for Superman now. The fact that Didio and Lee are trying to reaching out into other mediums to try to change the mindset of something that has been for longer then most of us have been alive is just ridiculous. I am grateful for people like Bruce Timm who refuse to let this new look in his movies. I hope others follow suit to ensure that the classic look is seen in media around the world.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    There are plenty of other ways to make a mark then to touch something that just is. How about just leaving well enough alone and stop messing with the classics. Superman has grown beyond the medium that created him. The world has a vision of what Superman looks like and how he acts. IF they had just kept it in the comics then there would be bitching like me but it would have been less of a problem. Comics are a very small market for Superman now. The fact that Didio and Lee are trying to reaching out into other mediums to try to change the mindset of something that has been for longer then most of us have been alive is just ridiculous. I am grateful for people like Bruce Timm who refuse to let this new look in his movies. I hope others follow suit to ensure that the classic look is seen in media around the world.
    Have a link for the Bruce Timm quote? I tried to find it on my own, but all I managed to find was an old interview where he said the character was dated and lacked exciting elements.
    So, if you have it, I would like to see it.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

BANNED

The animated films that were released were in pre-production long before the relaunch, so they wouldn't have time to change the costume designs even if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Have a link for the Bruce Timm quote? I tried to find it on my own, but all I managed to find was an old interview where he said the character was dated and lacked exciting elements.
    So, if you have it, I would like to see it.
    I'm going to go crazy looking for it but I did read a interview where he said he wishes to keep the classic look of the character in his movies. I believe it was maybe at one of the recent cons but don't quote me on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    The animated films that were released were in pre-production long before the relaunch, so they wouldn't have time to change the costume designs even if they wanted to.
    David Bowie Fashion for you Mr. Holmes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d0_hBedcAo

We are the goon squad and were coming to town.

^^^^^

These words remind me of the current state at DC.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 04-03-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

I'm going to go crazy looking for it but I did read a interview where he said he wishes to keep the classic look of the character in his movies. I believe it was maybe at one of the recent cons but don't quote me on it.
    C'mon, where is the fun if i can't accuse you on making assumptions not being backed up by facts?
    Okay, that said, the movies probably aren't the best example or the use of the new or the classic suit, because the politic of these movies has always been to stick graphically to the story they are adapting.
    So if the original comic has the classic suit, I guess they will keep the classic suit, the same way they try to keep close to the original graphic style. Now, what will happen if they ever adapt a Post 52 comic into a movie is going to be interesting in that regard.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

BANNED

David Bowie Fashion for you Mr. Holmes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d0_hBedcAo

We are the goon squad and were coming to town.

^^^^^

These words remind me of the current state at DC.
    I love David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I love David Bowie.
    Me too. WOW, There is something we agree on.

Only thing is, this isn't Nazi Germany where people are burning old copies of Superman titles in effigy. Thus, preserving the old costume isn't even a question, just like the old costumes of yesteryear like the Golden Age look, George Reeves' costume, and so forth, are perfectly preserved today even though no longer in use.
    The problem is that doesn't protect trademark. Trademarks have to be actively used or else corporations lose them. DC has to keep their trademarks active through reprints in new print runs and all new material that uses the trademarks. This is the real reason why DC has consistently brought back Supergirl and Krypto--so their trademarks remain active.

There's just as many new publications of Burroughs' John Carter available that pay nothing to Burroughs Inc. as there are publications acknowledging Burroughs' trademark rights. DC could be in the same position soon if they aren't careful.

The trademarks are the trump card that DC holds over the Siegels. The family aren't likely to license Superman to anyone, on their own, because DC holds the trademarks. If those trademarks have no force--then the Siegels have a better chance of farming out Superman to whoever wants him. And in the near future, once Superman falls into the public domain, you could see several different publishers doing their own Superman--without paying anything to either the Siegels or DC.

Trademark is absolutely the most important thing to DC right now and they have to constantly take care that it's protected or else they own virtually nothing.

FYI, hi-res version of the logo was revealed a couple of days back on the Legendary Pictures Twitter.

https://twitter.com/#!/LegendaryEnt/...11266930585603
    Last edited by clownprince01; 04-08-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    Your name is Kal-El. You are the only survivor of the planet Krypton. Even though you've been raised as a human being, you are not one of them
    JOR-EL

Why do I always think of rich Canadian maple syrup when I see that logo?