Default What happened to Astro City #23? (attn Busiek)

Around this time in 2009, it was announced that Astro City would be resuming as a monthly with issue #23 after the Dark Age series and Silver Agent specials. Anyone hear anything about whether this is still the plan and when Astro City might resume? I know Kurt Busiek posts here sometimes, any updates you can provide if you read this?

Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by lobsterj View Post
    Around this time in 2009, it was announced that Astro City would be resuming as a monthly with issue #23 after the Dark Age series and Silver Agent specials. Anyone hear anything about whether this is still the plan and when Astro City might resume? I know Kurt Busiek posts here sometimes, any updates you can provide if you read this?

Thanks for any info.
    This information is very dated. A long time back all the Wildstorm books were cancalled including Astro City. Wildstrom remains cancalled but some of the wildstorm characters will be intergated proper into the DC Reboot in September. So far nothing about the Astro City characters have been mentioned.

Yes, it is dated but it is the most recently info I could find. I was aware of the canceling of the Wildstorm Imprint but as Astro City never took place in the Wildstorm Universe and is creator-owned, I didn't know where it left it. I would assume that if DC didn't want it they could move it to another publisher, but have no real idea.

Astro City was not in fact cancelled it just rehomed after the closure of Wildstorm, it is definitely coming back as a monthly and will be at DC, your best source of information is Kurt Busiek's official fan page on facebook, he keeps it very well updated and is great at answering questions and is a gent to boot. http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Of...e/201264465828 hope this helps, he has said they will announce when Astro City is returning, can't wait for more!!

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

We'll be back, you bet -- we've been working to build up inventory, so we won't have schedule problems when we come back. Plus, there were various business upheavals that delayed things.

Since we're actually "switching publishers" -- from Wildstorm to DC, which is a fictional switch, but what the hell -- we'll probably be coming back with a new #1 rather than #23. But I think people will be very happy with it; Brent and Alex are doing lovely work, and I think the stories are pretty decent, too.

kdb
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    We'll be back, you bet -- we've been working to build up inventory, so we won't have schedule problems when we come back. Plus, there were various business upheavals that delayed things.

Since we're actually "switching publishers" -- from Wildstorm to DC, which is a fictional switch, but what the hell -- we'll probably be coming back with a new #1 rather than #23. But I think people will be very happy with it; Brent and Alex are doing lovely work, and I think the stories are pretty decent, too.

kdb
    #23 or #1, either is good with me. Thanks for the info, will be looking forward to it.

Great news, I hope it's true!
    I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.

Conan, The Goon, Astro City, Criminal, Love and Rockets, Fatale, Saga, The Rocketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post

kdb

You better keep putting out the best damn super hero book on the stands, or else!

I didn't want to create another thread, but I have another Astro City related question for Mr. Busiek.

Kurt,

If you are reading this, do they keep you in the loop of when various editions are coming out? A softcover version of Shining Stars was available for order on Amazon, and then disappeared. DC's site has it listed as shipping on a date that has already passed. Any idea when the new date is for that to ship, if one has been set? Thanks for any info.

Lobster J

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

If you are reading this, do they keep you in the loop of when various editions are coming out?
    Not consistently.

A softcover version of Shining Stars was available for order on Amazon, and then disappeared. DC's site has it listed as shipping on a date that has already passed. Any idea when the new date is for that to ship, if one has been set? Thanks for any info.
    I think it's coming out closer to the end of the year, but that's not because anyone at DC told me; it's because I saw it listed that way somewhere recently.

When DC schedules these things, they (theoretically) tell the editor when the material will be needed for solicitation and printing. I say theoretically because more than once, they've told the editor after it was already too late to get a new cover done in time for solicitations.

What the editor tells me is stuff like when JG and I have to have a finalized back cover design in, or suchlike.

kdb
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!