Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253 LastLast

Or pretty much everyone who ever put on a military uniform, ever. But hey, you dont like it, so choose the bad guys to make a strawman arguement about collars.

Freaking collars.... Damn i need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Or pretty much everyone who ever put on a military uniform, ever. But hey, you dont like it, so choose the bad guys to make a strawman arguement about collars.
    Just an observation, not an argument. Me not liking the Nuperman suit is a personal aesthetic choice. I'm not insisting anyone else agree with me. If I was arguing I'd be giving reasons why Superman doesn't need a high collared armored suit.

I haven't chimed in on this thread, so please excuse the intrusion ;)

I don't like the 'chunky' look several artists have given the suit and, frankly, prefer that it be cloth (much like it was depicted when he held it in Action.

I don't mind it being considered 'armour' (I reckon it should be some sort of smart-cloth with advanced bio-sensors, metabolism maintainers, communications, etc but that they're not active (other than the comm-weaves)).

For around 50 years or so he's suit actually was a form of armour - the darn thing was invulnerable! - so it's not really that much of a change.

As a compromise for those of who miss the 'his mother made it for him' aspect, perhaps the look and colour is his mother's design. Perhaps, after his various encounters with bulls and placing tractors on roofs and so forth, she felt something more 'formal' should be worn and came up with the 'uniform'. It may be that Clark initially dimissed it as silly but, after the 7 or so months of being active in Metropolis, realised that she was on to the right idea...

So, when he put on the suit, as well as recognising him as an El it was able to 'ascertain' the look he was going for. (His look is much simpler in comparison to what Jor-El and the other Kryptonians were wearing).

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    I haven't chimed in on this thread, so please excuse the intrusion ;)

I don't like the 'chunky' look several artists have given the suit and, frankly, prefer that it be cloth (much like it was depicted when he held it in Action.

I don't mind it being considered 'armour' (I reckon it should be some sort of smart-cloth with advanced bio-sensors, metabolism maintainers, communications, etc but that they're not active (other than the comm-weaves)).

For around 50 years or so he's suit actually was a form of armour - the darn thing was invulnerable! - so it's not really that much of a change.

As a compromise for those of who miss the 'his mother made it for him' aspect, perhaps the look and colour is his mother's design. Perhaps, after his various encounters with bulls and placing tractors on roofs and so forth, she felt something more 'formal' should be worn and came up with the 'uniform'. It may be that Clark initially dimissed it as silly but, after the 7 or so months of being active in Metropolis, realised that she was on to the right idea...

So, when he put on the suit, as well as recognising him as an El it was able to 'ascertain' the look he was going for. (His look is much simpler in comparison to what Jor-El and the other Kryptonians were wearing).
    Question: has anyone ever thought that maybe when he was holding it in Action comics # 7 it was "turned off" or in it's "rest position"? I mean not just in the fact that it was in it's white form but maybe when he puts it on it gains it's armor attributes. We see that the artist in Superman #7 clearly know the difference between armor and cloth as we see in Superman's transformation.

So it wouldn't be a stretch to say that it can change from cloth to armor. So yea I think guys like Gen Ha got it right (I actually really love how he drew it in JL and Jor-el's in Action #3) I see it as more of a Kevlar material with a plastic shine.

The one thing that I'm just happy about is that now no artist that try and draw Superman can make it look like his suit is just painted on. I can't tell you how much I couldn't stand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post

Freaking collars.... Damn i need to get out more.
    I was in the military, in the lower ranks, and never wore such a uniform. That kind of collar is usually worn by a commissioned officer. And if you know anything about the military, officers are considered something less than scum by the enlisted service.

I also dislike the "S"s on man & girl. I wish they'd have used the 40's variant from the new movie - though that costume is 10 kinds of f'ugly, too.

Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

Talking about the look of Superman on clothing and such, that may be about to change. We have the new movie coming out soon and supposedly an animated movie for Flashpoint paving the way to the new 52 looks. Don't forget, Wonder Woman wears a double W in the comics but some merchandise still shows the eagle.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Talking about the look of Superman on clothing and such, that may be about to change. We have the new movie coming out soon and supposedly an animated movie for Flashpoint paving the way to the new 52 looks. Don't forget, Wonder Woman wears a double W in the comics but some merchandise still shows the eagle.
    This hasn't been confirmed. It will most likely be different in some ways and the characters may go back to the classic look. Like I have said before. Bruce Timm I have read ( I'm not going to go find it) would like to stay with the classic look of the character as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    This hasn't been confirmed. It will most likely be different in some ways and the characters may go back to the classic look. Like I have said before. Bruce Timm I have read ( I'm not going to go find it) would like to stay with the classic look of the character as much as possible.
    I'm not saying there are absolutes. I'm just pointing out that a couple of years ago people probably thought they'd never change the costume again...

But if DC wants the start marketing the new 52 looks then at some point they are going to have to start. Like I pointed out, Wonder Woman on merchandise has the eagle and that hasn't been true in the comics since the mid-80s.

I'm not saying there are absolutes. I'm just pointing out that a couple of years ago people probably thought they'd never change the costume again...

But if DC wants the start marketing the new 52 looks then at some point they are going to have to start. Like I pointed out, Wonder Woman on merchandise has the eagle and that hasn't been true in the comics since the mid-80s.
    A lot if that will hing on the movie I think. I would have no problem if they use the new suit in one film and the classic in another. There really is enough room for both. That's all I really want.

I really feels like they are trying to force the old suit out and I don't like it one bit. You can't just wipe the classic look under the carpet like that.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 04-26-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Movies tend to pay no attention to the comic books. On the other hand, comic books often try to emulate what's in the movies or television. I think it's a safe bet that if there's another movie after Man of Steel, the costume designers won't be able to resist changing the design again. Have the Batman costumes remained the same from movie to movie?

The more that DC tries to follow the movies, the more likely they will have to keep changing everything to remain current.

BANNED

That will never change. Sure you'll get your movie merchandise and comics, but the classics won't disappear. They're too ingrained.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    Movies tend to pay no attention to the comic books. On the other hand, comic books often try to emulate what's in the movies or television. I think it's a safe bet that if there's another movie after Man of Steel, the costume designers won't be able to resist changing the design again. Have the Batman costumes remained the same from movie to movie?

The more that DC tries to follow the movies, the more likely they will have to keep changing everything to remain current.
    It has little to do with the costume designers' desire to tweak. It has everything to do with business maximizing revenue. Costume change? Gotta get the latest action figure. And lunchbox. And bedsheet. And ballcap. It's the same reasoning behind the frequency of sports franchise uniform changes.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It has little to do with the costume designers' desire to tweak. It has everything to do with business maximizing revenue. Costume change? Gotta get the latest action figure. And lunchbox. And bedsheet. And ballcap. It's the same reasoning behind the frequency of sports franchise uniform changes.
    It has a lot to do also if the normal everyday people react to the suit. I wonder when the Mattel DCnU Superman comes out if Kids and those not in the know will just think its variant of the old Costume and decide to pass much like all the Batman suits that aren't the look they all know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    It has a lot to do also if the normal everyday people react to the suit. I wonder when the Mattel DCnU Superman comes out if Kids and those not in the know will just think its variant of the old Costume and decide to pass much like all the Batman suits that aren't the look they all know.
    Unfortunately most of those out-of-vogue Batman suits were quite successful. Just because they are no longer manufactured doesn't mean they weren't a success financially. That's why there are "all the..." Because there kept being a reason to make new ones.