Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

I agree Manduck. Superman looks like Ultraman and menacing. A armor suit on Superman is absurd in every way. His suit should be made by Martha Kent. It has been since a definitive origin of Superman was created back in 1960. It is a symbol of love and protection from his Earth Parents if you read between the lines. I hate the fact they have taken this out of the story as it takes so much away from what makes Superman as much a Earthman as he is Kryptonian. It give him a perfect balance.

I like the new suit.

It makes a lot more sense.

Plus it looks a lot less awkward then seeing a flying muscle man in red underwear beat up bad guys :x

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

Dynamic Man's costume in "The Twelve" miniseries I think would be a good costume for Superman.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteEyedWonder View Post
    I like the new suit.

It makes a lot more sense.

Plus it looks a lot less awkward then seeing a flying muscle man in red underwear beat up bad guys :x
    It's a comic book. The suit was around for 75 years. What is awkward about it.

It makes sense that they'd be ditching the red undies when the new movie costume is ditching them too.

BANNED

I always wished Superman would move on from 1930s circus wear. About time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Seconded

I'll admit the lines are excessive and the costume could use some fine tuning. But the original superman costume went through a good deal of fine tuning before we got the iconic one we know today. I like the current one enough that as it is right now.

I find it funny that at least IMO Jim Lee the costume's designer has the weakest rendition of the costume. His version isn't bad, the other artists just draw the costume better.

You seem to be a fan of The Spirit. How would you feel if they took away a vital part of his look like his Hat or his tie.

It WAS 30s circus wear. Superman and other heroes made it into superhero wear, and it stuck around long past the 1930s.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    It's a comic book. The suit was around for 75 years. What is awkward about it.
    I thought "flying muscle man in red underwear beating up bad guys" was self-explanatory...

And his new costume just looks more serious. It's not really a costume even, it's more like a suit of armor. Which makes sense when your fighting aliens and robots.

He's not the type of super hero where spandex/tights make sense, so I don't see why he should keep wearing it...
    Last edited by WhiteEyedWonder; 03-29-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Nope. If anything I become more and more accustomed to it as the months pass. I said it in the Controversial thread, but I think this costume has staying power and can become just as iconic as the past incarnations. That's not to say I can't see a minor alteration here or there. maybe getting rid of some lines along the way or something, but it doesn't need much tinkering with.
    ^ This, but I'll always love the classic suit more and hope someday we'll see it again on one of the 52 Earths
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women." - Conan

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteEyedWonder View Post
    I thought "flying muscle man in red underwear beating up bad guys" was self-explanatory...

And his new costume just looks more serious. It's not really a costume even, it's more like a suit of armor. Which makes sense when your fighting aliens and robots.
    Why would Superman need a suit of armor. HE IS SUPERMAN... You could change all the character you want Batman, Spiderman, any of them. You Should NEVER Change Superman. He is the blueprint, He is the Iconic character they all come from. The character should always be above such things.

First off, his ICONIC costume didn't have "underwear" on the outside... they were red trunks. As noted, they were like a circus strongman costume. Those trunks broke up the color really well.

Seeing a variation of the "new" costume on Henry Carvill... well... looks awkward. I don't know how tall he is, but the movie costume (sans the trunks) makes him look like a midget to me. Maybe is Jim Lee redesigned the costume SLIGHTLY... kind of like the original costume worn by the Kon-El Superboy (without the leg-belts and with a cape) it would have looked a bit better.

When I see this new character, it isn't Superman. It's somebody totally different to me. Also, they should not have given one man the power to redesign an entire company's line. It just doesn't work (for me at least)

You seem to be a fan of The Spirit. How would you feel if they took away a vital part of his look like his Hat or his tie.
    To me the trunks aren't vital. The red blue and yellow are vital, the cape is vital, the S shield is vital. Everything else can, and has, been altered at some point in time. Even the S, the most recognizable part of the character, has undergone some changes throughout the years. Losing the trunks is completely harmless as long as the only service they were really good for, color-balance, was compensated for elsewhere.

Why would Superman need a suit of armor. HE IS SUPERMAN... You could change all the character you want Batman, Spiderman, any of them. You Should NEVER Change Superman. He is the blueprint, He is the Iconic character they all come from. The character should always be above such things.
    To me, this mindset does not honor to the character. It handcuffs the character. Its basically saying "This is Superman. He is so great, he is so iconic....you can't do anything creative with him. Ever."
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-29-2012 at 02:40 PM.

If Supes has to stay exactly the same then why even bother making new comics? I don't really get that kind of mindset.

And yes, he should have armor. There are plenty of times when he's getting beat up and armor would have helped. The way he fights and the kind of powers he has favors armor more then spandex/tights, at least IMO.

I'm not saying the old costume was terrible or anything, I'm just saying the new one makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by delliott101 View Post
    First off, his ICONIC costume didn't have "underwear" on the outside... they were red trunks. As noted, they were like a circus strongman costume. Those trunks broke up the color really well.
    Isn't that what the belt is for? Though I can understand the height thing. It does look a little odd sometimes in the comics.

I think that's why they added all those lines. To sort of break it up.
    Last edited by WhiteEyedWonder; 03-29-2012 at 02:52 PM.