Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mignolaversity

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Nice summation! Can't wait to read the comic!
    I'm the voice inside your head that you refuse to hear
    I'm the face that you have to face, mirrored in your stare
    ~Foo Fighters - The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by Sheeeva View Post
    Nice summation! Can't wait to read the comic!
    Thanks. I've been told I'll likely be invited to do more in the future, so that should be fun.

Multiversity talks to Jason Latour (podcast). He starts talking about Sledgehammer 44 at 22:20.
    Last edited by Middenway; 02-08-2013 at 08:19 AM.

You might want to head over to Multiversity some time after midday today. Things are happening...

Default Hell Notes debut

And here's more Hell Notes. This time I'm looking at Hellboy in Hell #4.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I liked reading your column pretty good, (haven't obtained HiH #4 so I can't yet read on that). The richness and diversity of things which all kinds of people have been recognising or reading into Hellboy will be what drew me to this Hellboy Forum in the first place, already since long ago, as even prior to the first movie.

I believe that most commonly comics storytellers introduce stuff from other domains as by making it fit into a comics-domain. Like golden-age Hercules isn't the *real Hercules* but a comic book version instead. As how the 'Disney Hercules' would be a separate Disney version. Or silver-age Dracula being its own version.

Fables seems to be about what if this character and this and this would be put into a story together, against some distinct setting. Like how modern rage box office movie stuff like "Snowwhite the action hero" or "Hansl & Gretl the action-movie" take characters as being sort of fixed stereotypes to play around with.

But in his creator titles mr Mignola seems to take it all back to names or characters of any kind as handy for association towards swift and graphical storytelling. Regardless of whether all readers would pick up on all of it, any readers would be bound to pick up on at least some of it.

Like name your pet cat "Moriarty" and for anyone making the Conan Doyle connection (Prof. Moriarty was Sherlock Holmes' nemesis in many respects) the pet purrer would take on nemesis-like aptitudes rather immediately.

Readers might know Dickens or Shakespeare or even names to their characters both as motifs to their works. Readers might have their own associations as to what would or could be 'witches' or 'demons' or 'monsters'. And as said any working associations or instigators onto imaginativeness would be serving and helping storytelling.

Readers might have some or more affiliation with Celtic lore or any lore. Or notorious and particular stuffs from throughout history. I believe mr Mike uses that, in cojunction of entertaining himself: by making comics as consisting of what he likes, others may like it also.

Like the "Baba Yaga" for instance. She doesn't seem made to fit the storytelling, but more rather she seems to be quite her own character, she proposes herself as a character it appears. And just reading the Mignola titles will point to what her roles both as traits would be.

I don't think she was only bound for taking one of Hellboy's eyes, but she did want to get even with him since Hellboy specifically took hèr eye.
    Although something which witches could typically be doing is gathering stuff for doing funky experiments or cooking with - not just Mignola's kind of witches, but any type of witches, because that's what witches would do, on account of any available sources, instead of but merely popular ones.

Anyway, I liked reading your version of things, Middenway.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 03-08-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

This was supposed to go up a while back, but I had trouble tracking down all the pictures I wanted:

Hell Notes: What the Hell is Vril?

Nice article, Middenway! That's a lot of information succinctly stated, and not all of it is clear in the source material. Good work detangling it!

Though you did forget one small thing...

Aliens!!

(Roughly page 60 of Conqueror Worm -- an 'alien' manifests a spark of Vril into an artifact for Hellboy to use. I can see how that might be difficult to work into the article, though, there's already an awful lot of crazy stuff going on in it...)

(Also worth consideration is the fact that the same Watcher's hand that stole Vril out of the air to make the Ogdru Jahad was preserved and ended up on the end of Hellboy's arm, and its Vril-snatching (wielding?) ability has been hinted at as the mechanism by which it could awaken the Ogdru Jahad.)

Thanks as always for the great resource and hard work!

Not forgotten. I deliberately left it out to avoid confusion. I will find a way to talk about those aliens (Hyperboreans? ) someday. This article could easily have gone out of control. I had to rein it in. Plus, I need material for future stuff!

Great article Middenway, and I love your Black Flame theory.

Here's a new Hell Notes. I hope you like it.

Nice work, as usual