Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Ahh I forgot about Action #7.
    If the suit can change via thought, why would Clark wear a blue shirt w/ a \S/ on it when he can wear a plain white or any color shirt?
    I'd imagine the clothing reacts to subconscious thoughts, in AC #7 it changed the moment he had it on. So maybe the shirt just naturally keeps the symbol. Alternatively it may have changed colors before he opened the button shirt just out of reflex.

I can't find the article in question at the moment, so no offense if no one takes my word for it, but I recall reading something with Giffen and/or Jurgens in which the new love interest for Clark would make things weird between him and Lois. So I think its highly likely a romantic interest will be Lucy's primary role in this arc.

Overall I enjoyed the issue, the stuff with Clark/Lois/Jimmy/Perry was the best part of the issue, and love that more character driven moments between Clark and his supporting cast, be it dramatic or humorous, will be a returning staple. Helspont is just kinda there at the moment, though I quite enjoy his look.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-29-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    I'm not wholly dismissing this speculation, but I'm very curious why it even exists. All that was in this issue was Lois asked Clark to pick Lucy up from the train station because she had an interview to do and couldn't make it herself. Clark agreed to do the favor for Lois and ultimately didn't follow through. Other than the scene in the DP office where Lois asked Clark to pick her sister up, the only other scene that dealt with Lucy was the final one where we see Lucy bemoaning that no one was there to pick her up.

There was no reference to dating, no chemistry, no romantic hints at all. So is the speculation that Clark and Lucy might get together just based on the fact that he's a guy (who we know from interviews with DC creators is going to have a new love interest eventually) and Lucy is the first apparently available female? Was there something about the final panel that felt like it was foreshadowing something? I'm just confused because, while I'm all for speculating about Clark's next love interest, I'd like it to be based on something more concrete. So can someone explain whatever happened in SUPERMAN #7 that makes it seem possible Lucy's the new love interest for Clark?
    I think it's just harmless "'shipping" speculation, but probably fueled by the perception that some things may happen differently in the nuDC. Doesn't mean that Clark and Lucy will be an item, but it doesn't take much to begin such speculations.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Well, I have tried and tried to enjoy this being a fan of over 30 + years but all this does is leave a bad taste in my mouth. From the fact DC gave into those who quite frankly never were Superman fans to begin with by changing his suit into this abomination. At least Jurgens who I know loves the character of Superman and will do what ever he can to try to please all of us gave us some hint of a classic feel and some glimpse of hope especially with what he has to work with here. The fact that the suit comes out of the S is just ridiculous in every way and I'm sure Dan knows this as well but will do his best to work with what he has.

I don't think it comes out of the 'S'; rather, it 'folds in' on itself and forms a kind of 'vest', and then 'unfolds' when he needs it. The shield then 'pops out' whereas 'at rest' it's flat.

I could be wrong, I only had time to skim through the issue last night.

BANNED

The costume does'nt comes from the "S", in fact the costume adapts based of what the user wants or thinks. In Action Comics we saw that the suit was originally just a long blue costume but once that Clark used it the "S" appeared immediately.

I enjoyed the issue.

When the reboot was announced and Perez came up as Superman writer, I had my doubts. A talent from the 80's is not who I would have picked for a "New Superman for a New Age" but whatever. I love the world building he did. Hated the overly wrought exposition via narration. All in all, his six issues got a pass from me and I liked most of what he set up. I forgave the annoying amounts of needless dialogue because at least the book was thick with content, which is a rare thing these days.

Now we have 90's talent on the book. And I enjoyed it, moreso than Perez's run, but I agree with the poster who said on the first page of this thread that something feels like its missing.

I think whats missing is the epic scope. Superman battles a villain on the street, surrounded by civilians? Im sorry, I have always hated that. If a threat shows up who is powerful enough for Clark to cut loose, even a little bit, then there is no way that it happens in the middle of a city without doing insane amounts of property damage and killing anyone nearby. His heat vision should melt the street, the force from his punches should shatter windows. Having people less than five feet away while he fights takes the threat out of the battle and the power from his abilities. Civilians in the locality should be a hamper on how much force he can use, and something he works to avoid. He's the most powerful man on the planet? I did not see that in this issue.

That scene with Helspont's proxy would have worked better if we had seen Clark launch the foe into the upper atmosphere where they could really go all out, or something. I love Jurgens and his 90's run remains my favorite Superman era, but his layouts seemed a little stiff here, especially the combat scenes. They were a little flat and that also damaged the scene, I think.

Beyond that I liked what we saw. I loved the scene at the Planet. Giffen might be the best humor writer in the business. Or at least at DC. And I liked the new take on the costume. Im sorry, but I will happily take Kryptonian biotech that can change its appearance (among other things perhaps?) over Clark wearing spandex and a cape under his suit. I still think it needs fewer seams, and the belt and boots need work, but that will come with time.

I find that reading Helspont's dialogue with a good dose of satire helps. That was weak stuff, but somehow it sort of works in an over the top, campy sort of way. Something akin to how Army of Darkness works; its so bad its good. And he looks badass. Best looking villain design so far from the N52.

Overall, so far so good. As with Perez, I was concerned about Jurgens and Giffen. Not that they are not talented, just that they've been in the business for a while and this relaunch is supposed to be about forward motion. Still, despite a slightly lackluster fight and some corny dialogue from the main foe, I rather enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    The costume does'nt comes from the "S", in fact the costume adapts based of what the user wants or thinks. In Action Comics we saw that the suit was originally just a long blue costume but once that Clark used it the "S" appeared immediately.
    'Blue'?

um...pretty sure it was white before he put it on, and then it turned into the traditional colours...

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I can't find the article in question at the moment, so no offense if no one takes my word for it, but I recall reading something with Giffen and/or Jurgens in which the new love interest for Clark would make things weird between him and Lois. So I think its highly likely a romantic interest will be Lucy's primary role in this arc.
    I think I might know which article you're referring to, but I don't think it says exactly what you're recollecting. CBR conducted the interview with Jurgens and Giffen, and this is what they had to say about the love interest issue:

Giffen: We will be introducing a new love interest for Clark. I don't want to spoil it by saying who it is, but I can guarantee it will throw whatever future relationship Clark and Lois had completely off course.

Well, we've already seen their dynamic shifted as Lois is in a higher position at work than Clark. Is this new love triangle going to be a big part of the comic?

Jurgens: Yes! I'd say so!
    Giffen: But it's not going to be crowded. In other words, it's not going to be new love interest, new love interest, oh, I love Lois! The Clark/Lois relationship is going to evolve as naturally as we can make it evolve. Now they're friends, she's his boss. He may be attracted to her, but she's his boss. There's awkwardness there, and it's not an awkwardness coming from Clark. It's the same awkwardness you would feel if you were working and you found yourself attracted to your supervisor or the CEO of the company. It's not something you immediately act on. It's not going to be six issues and then it's Clark and Lois again. As a matter of fact, I honestly at this point cannot foresee when those two realize they have something for one another.

Based on the interview, it does seem likely that the new love interest will affect Lois and Clark's relationship. However, so far it's not apparent that it's because the person Clark's with is Lois' sister. In fact, any new love interest--by the very nature of just being with Clark--would interfere with Lois and Clark as a couple. Beyond that, the only thing creating weirdness between Lois and Clark seems to be their different roles at work. I personally don't get the reasoning there, considering Clark works in a completely different division with a different boss. But for whatever reason Lois having a higher position in the television division is being used to excuse Clark's lack of action on his feelings for Lois, and thus his decision to take a chance on somebody else.

Right now I'm not averse to Clark having a new love interest or speculation that it might be Lucy; although it would be an odd move to have Clark date both Lanes at some point. DC has advertised SUPERMAN #7 with the tagline, "New love interests, new roomates and a new foe," and since Lucy was present in the issue I guess it's indicative of something. It's so strange, though. Not only is the tagline for the issue misleading given the issue itself doesn't present anyone as a definitive love interest, but Lucy is kind of an odd choice that reminds me vaguely of Clark on Smallville briefly dating Chloe Sullivan (Lois Lane's cousin) in high school before getting together with Lois. Lucy came on to Clark during both her appearances on the show as well.

Overall I enjoyed the issue, the stuff with Clark/Lois/Jimmy/Perry was the best part of the issue, and love that more character driven moments between Clark and his supporting cast, be it dramatic or humorous, will be a returning staple. Helspont is just kinda there at the moment, though I quite enjoy his look.
    I liked seeing Clark at work and interacting with his fellow journalists and friends as well. I hope future issues remember to keep a good balance and flow among the various aspects of Clark's life.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Earl View Post
    I think it's just harmless "'shipping" speculation, but probably fueled by the perception that some things may happen differently in the nuDC. Doesn't mean that Clark and Lucy will be an item, but it doesn't take much to begin such speculations.
    That makes sense, I guess. I usually like to have more hints or concrete detail to use before jumping into speculation like that, but I don't have a problem with anyone who needs less to fuel their predictions.
    Last edited by misslane38; 03-29-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    I think whats missing is the epic scope. Superman battles a villain on the street, surrounded by civilians? Im sorry, I have always hated that. If a threat shows up who is powerful enough for Clark to cut loose, even a little bit, then there is no way that it happens in the middle of a city without doing insane amounts of property damage and killing anyone nearby. His heat vision should melt the street, the force from his punches should shatter windows. Having people less than five feet away while he fights takes the threat out of the battle and the power from his abilities. Civilians in the locality should be a hamper on how much force he can use, and something he works to avoid. He's the most powerful man on the planet? I did not see that in this issue.
    That's one of the things that always bugged me about the 'final fight' back during the Death storyline - Lois is standing right next to him(!) as he cuts loose with heat vision and pavement and window shattering punches!

If there was ever a time for 'super-ventriloquism' that was it :P

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    'Blue'?

um...pretty sure it was white before he put it on, and then it turned into the traditional colours...
    Yeah you're right, I don't know what was I thinking.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    So is Krypton replacing Khera's role in the DCU?
    Replacing it, I doubt. But right now, there are no doubts there will be a connection between the two (I called this ages ago). Depending on how much they bring from Wildstorm`s cosmic continuity, it would actually not be that hard to make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Replacing it, I doubt. But right now, there are no doubts there will be a connection between the two (I called this ages ago). Depending on how much they bring from Wildstorm`s cosmic continuity, it would actually not be that hard to make it so.
    Really disgusts me to see all this Wildstorm garbage in DC as well. I could do without any character created by Jim Lee.

BANNED

Don't be so superficial. Sure the original Wildstorm comics were pretty fluff, but things like Warren Ellis's Stormwatch and Planetary, and Wildcats 3.0, etc. are some of the best comics of the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Don't be so superficial. Sure the original Wildstorm comics were pretty fluff, but things like Warren Ellis's Stormwatch and Planetary, and Wildcats 3.0, etc. are some of the best comics of the last decade.
    You like them that's fine, But the fact remains they have no need to be in the DC Universe.