View Poll Results: How do you feel about Hawkeye x Spider-Woman relationship?

Voters
108. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes. They are made for each other

16 14.81%
  • No. He's using her to get Mockingbird back

82 75.93%
  • It might lead to marriage, like Reed and Susan Richards

12 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I don't get the random criticism.

That's how it happens in real life. You meet someone, at work for instance. You flirt a bit, you hit it off. It's not as if Bendis is retconning in a long, romantic history between the two of them lile happened with Storm and the Black Panther.
    Actually that's a pretty good point. I don't often agree with you but by gum, you're right.

And I too am more interested in what's going to happen with Mockingbird. If it wasn't for Carol already getting a new ongoing, I'd like to see her have one.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I don't get the random criticism.

That's how it happens in real life. You meet someone, at work for instance. You flirt a bit, you hit it off. It's not as if Bendis is retconning in a long, romantic history between the two of them lile happened with Storm and the Black Panther.
    Yeah, I don't get the random thing either.

Clint and Mockingbird had literally one adventure together and end up getting married... that seems a heck of a lot more random than what we got with Jessica and Clint.

They're 2 attractive people that worked together, formed an attraction, and decided to date. That's pretty normal if you ask me.
    Last edited by XPac; 03-26-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yanapryde View Post
    And, I have to agree. Especially with the circumstances these individuals find themselves in -- heated combat and fighting for your lives and all that. And to being doing so with people in peek physical condition -- attractive people no less??

Hell, I'm surprised there isn't MORE canoodling going on. I've seen it in social circles. Yea, it can seem a bit incestuous, the way couples break up and reconnect and essentially swap partners...but when you're living a certain lifestyle, you're going to naturally gravitate toward those who share the same experiences and common "interests". heh.
    It actually really does read exactly like that, right down to having another friend in the same social circle (Carol) saying, "No! Don't you dare do it! This is a terrible idea!"

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    It actually really does read exactly like that, right down to having another friend in the same social circle (Carol) saying, "No! Don't you dare do it! This is a terrible idea!"
    I think it actually does make sense for super heroes to date other super heroes. It's tough dating normal people, because it potentially puts them in the line of fire. Most heroes these days don't have secret identities... so if you're dating Steve Rogers publically, you can expect a visit from Red Skull to your door at some point.

For the New Avengers in particular, they were in a very unique situation during Dark Reign, They were fugitives together... and that bonds them in a unique sort of way. They lived together to some degree, and had to basically rely on each other 24/7. At the end of that, you're either going to hate those people or end up loving them.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think it actually does make sense for super heroes to date other super heroes. It's tough dating normal people, because it potentially puts them in the line of fire. Most heroes these days don't have secret identities... so if you're dating Steve Rogers publically, you can expect a visit from Red Skull to your door at some point.
    Oh, I don't disagree. It's logical. These are the people who you spend your life with. These are the people you know. These are the people who understand what you've been through. My favorite scene between the two was actually nothing Bendis did. That once scene McCann did in Hawkeye and Mockingbird (while inadvertently) had a little spark in it, I thought. They were both suffering insomnia. She reached out to him - not romantically but just in the, "Hey. I think we could both use someone to talk to," sense.

I was pointing out Carol's objection to Jessica dating Clint specifically. IE - she was convinced he was just on the rebound and that Jess was going to get burned in the end. The icky dynamics of dating in a tight social circle.

For the New Avengers in particular, they were in a very unique situation during Dark Reign, They were fugitives together... and that bonds them in a unique sort of way. They lived together to some degree, and had to basically rely on each other 24/7. At the end of that, you're either going to hate those people or end up loving them.
    Not to mention feelings of inferiority and/or hero worship worries, with dating a 'regular' person.
    cpjudd.com

"Um, blah, blah, blah. And, Girl Power. Feminism, d'you know what I mean?"

Quote Originally Posted by tommyman View Post
    Awful, awful couple.
    Under Bendis, he's a giant ineffectual douchebag, and she's a whiny cretin whose qualification for being in the Avengers is "got kidnapped then turned up crying afterwards".
    As has been noted, their "chemistry" is non-existent and the whole relationship reads like fan-fic written by a special needs valley girl with a Timotei fixation.
    ROFLMAO

And, I have to agree. Especially with the circumstances these individuals find themselves in -- heated combat and fighting for your lives and all that. And to being doing so with people in peek physical condition -- attractive people no less??

Hell, I'm surprised there isn't MORE canoodling going on. I've seen it in social circles. Yea, it can seem a bit incestuous, the way couples break up and reconnect and essentially swap partners...but when you're living a certain lifestyle, you're going to naturally gravitate toward those who share the same experiences and common "interests". heh.
    You know, that's how SOME social circles behave... but it makes the heroes who behave this way seem less heroic and more like attention-needy celebrities. "Who should I date this week? Hmm... that Spider-Woman babe sure is hot, and I'll bet that'll get the media talking!" As for sharing the same experiences and common interests, meh. They're both heroes, so often go on the same missions, but I think that's where it ends. Hawkeye and Spider-Woman's interests outside of being Avengers? Does she really seem the type to go for an old carnie who likes to booze it up and make an ass of himself? Does he seem like the ty... nevermind. He's a guy and she looks like she does (plus has that whole pheromones thing), so of course he's going to want to get flirty with her...

Personally, I think the whole thing feels kind of forced. From the splitting up of Hawkeye and Mockingbird to the pairing up of him and Spider-Woman. Also, did they just start flirting? Not exactly... as I recall, she hit him (intentionally or not) with her pheromones. And he, under the influence, seemed to find it flattering or charming or whatever and used it as an excuse to start flirting. Maybe they're going the douchebag route with him, with Clint trying to get Spider-Woman in the sack using the pheromones as an excuse. Later, when he tries to get back into things with Mockingbird and she bring up Spider-Woman, he can just claim pheromones and that he wasn't in control of himself.

As for Spider-Woman... why do people want to keep pairing her up with Spider-Man? That is so obvious that its just not interesting. If she wants a man who will do right by her, why not give old Ben Grimm a chance? Sure, he may not be the most attractive guy but he's a solid guy... and didn't they share a cartoon back in the late 70s or early 80s or something?

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Oh, I don't disagree. It's logical. These are the people who you spend your life with. These are the people you know. These are the people who understand what you've been through. My favorite scene between the two was actually nothing Bendis did. That once scene McCann did in Hawkeye and Mockingbird (while inadvertently) had a little spark in it, I thought. They were both suffering insomnia. She reached out to him - not romantically but just in the, "Hey. I think we could both use someone to talk to," sense.

I was pointing out Carol's objection to Jessica dating Clint specifically. IE - she was convinced he was just on the rebound and that Jess was going to get burned in the end. The icky dynamics of dating in a tight social circle.
    That's certainly true. That said, part of me wonders if 90% of the reason Bendis didn't put Jessica and Clint together is purely so that Carol and Jessica can gossip about it. With Mockingbird giving the whole thing the evil eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sparky View Post

As for Spider-Woman... why do people want to keep pairing her up with Spider-Man? That is so obvious that its just not interesting.
    Well, there was a poll...

Who should Jessica Drew date?

Clint came in 2nd place, behind "Other". And alot of the "Other" votes seemed to go for Carol Danvers.
    "I want to see beautiful people doing amazing things." - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sparky View Post
    As for Spider-Woman... why do people want to keep pairing her up with Spider-Man? That is so obvious that its just not interesting. If she wants a man who will do right by her, why not give old Ben Grimm a chance? Sure, he may not be the most attractive guy but he's a solid guy... and didn't they share a cartoon back in the late 70s or early 80s or something?
    Actually, Spider-Man guest starred in a few Spiderwoman cartoons, where as Ben Grimm shared a cartoon with Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble.

"Thing ring, do your THING!"

Mockingbird and Hawkeye ended their relationship because.....?
    Mockingbird was on her way to serve divorce papers to Clint when she was taken by the Skrulls, because Clint was a frankly shitty husband**. While in Skrull captivity she was forced into some pretty horrific mind-games with a Skrull-Hawkeye, whom she eventually killed. On returning to Earth and freedom, she found some solace with Clint again, but in the end it was all too much and she broke things off again. They had a brief reconcilliation in the heat of action, but again it was too much for both of them, and they backed off again.

This is all in The Reunion, Hawkeye & Mockingbird and Widowmaker minis.

If they had some time to start afresh, without the stresses of superhero life, then they might find something, but honestly without those outside pressures, I'm not sure they'd actually find that much common ground. I'd like to see both Bobbi and Jessica do better than Clint "boned a Doombot" Barton, as pretty as he is.

**for example;

Bobbi - "I was kidnapped, brainwashed and raped by a madman."
    Clint - "You... you CHEATED ON ME?!?!?!?!"
    Women of the world - "Oh, hell no."
    Last edited by Lady_Alternate; 03-26-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

As a general rule, with very few exceptions, I prefer super-heroes to date outside of the super-heroic circles. When two established super-heroes get involved with each other, it has to be VERY well-done. From what little I have read, that was not the case with this.
    Take for exemple Clint's past relationship. With the Widow, he was pratically introduced as being in love with her. His failed attempt of romancing Wanda had some background on him always hitting on her. The marriage with Mockingbird was a bit hurried (met, fell in love and married in a 4 issue mini-series), but it was in character with Clint's brashness and impulsiveness, Mockingbird was pratically a blank slate and the relationship was well fleshed out during the 100 issue run of WCA. I still think they should be together (after all, if not, why the hell bring back Bobbi? Please, who was it that DEMANDED IT, so that Marvel HAD to comply?). The seduction by Moonstone was quite well done, and made sense for the characters and the situation they were in, but I never saw it as going anywhere. For me, Clint should have had something with She-Hulk back when they were together in the team. I always liked the chemestry between the two of them, and IMHO, it would have been a fun relationship.
    Hawkeye and Spider-Woman? Sorry, I just don't feel it.

Peace

BANNED

Hell, I'm surprised there isn't MORE canoodling going on.
    Are you kidding? The Avengers are all total prudes and bores. Super-Heroes know if you're looking for the hook-up fix you join the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I still think they should be together (after all, if not, why the hell bring back Bobbi? Please, who was it that DEMANDED IT, so that Marvel HAD to comply?)
    So...you only see Bobbi's purpose as being some sort of arm-candy for Clint, rather than a character in her own right? Nice.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    So...you only see Bobbi's purpose as being some sort of arm-candy for Clint, rather than a character in her own right? Nice.
    Sadly, I think it's somewhat accurate to say Mock is sort of there just as Clints wife. That's basically the only reason she was in the Avengers.

Which is perhaps why it's a good thing they broke up. It's an opportunity for her to try and get out of his shadow a bit and define herself as her own character.