Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

kelly_warrior_princess, I messaged you about this, but seeing as you haven't responded, I'll mention it here: please be a little more considerate of posters, e.g. "Hahahahahahaha. No. I'm not saying your wrong, i'm saying that you've given half the story, which isn't suprising because its the half people like to go on about".

I appreciate your attention in this matter.
    Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But, fight to win. - Gail Simone, Wonder Woman

Author, Task Force: Gaea (Available on Amazon.com)

Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aegisbearer View Post
    kelly_warrior_princess, I messaged you about this, but seeing as you haven't responded, I'll mention it here: please be a little more considerate of posters, e.g. "Hahahahahahaha. No. I'm not saying your wrong, i'm saying that you've given half the story, which isn't suprising because its the half people like to go on about".

I appreciate your attention in this matter.
    I'm sorry but i find cultural amnesia to be hilarious. Especially in the information age.

There was nothing at all offensive in that post. But if you disagree, i'm perfectly happy to get a third party moderator to look over it. It breaks none of the rules of the forum board in general or in your own rules as stipulated in your rule thread in specific. I made no attack on anyone, nor did i swear at anyone. A funny wrong statemt, is still funny.
    Last edited by kelly_warrior_princess; 04-12-2012 at 08:29 PM.

It was the tone of the response. And, all I asked you to do was just be more considerate of posters. You weren't threatened with a ban or any disciplinary action, just a friendly reminder.

Laughing at someone's "cultural amnesia," as you put it, is just not polite. And, it was problematic for me and other posters who reported it.

Thanks, kelly_warrior_princess.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly_warrior_princess View Post
    I'm sorry but i find cultural amnesia to be hilarious. Especially in the information age.

There was nothing at all offensive in that post. But if you disagree, i'm perfectly happy to get a third party moderator to look over it. It breaks none of the rules of the forum board in general or in your own rules as stipulated in your rule thread in specific. I made no attack on anyone, nor did i swear at anyone. A funny wrong statemt, is still funny.
    Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But, fight to win. - Gail Simone, Wonder Woman

Author, Task Force: Gaea (Available on Amazon.com)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aegisbearer View Post
    It was the tone of the response. And, all I asked you to do was just be more considerate of posters. You weren't threatened with a ban or any disciplinary action, just a friendly reminder.

Laughing at someone's "cultural amnesia," as you put it, is just not polite. And, it was problematic for me and other posters who reported it.

Thanks, kelly_warrior_princess.
    To be fair, there are many similar post from the other posters directed at other posters before this post; I think it's just a matter that those posts are more what a vocal many on this forum agree with, while those vocal many on this forum may disagree with what this poster said. I've liked her posts a lot and they bring missing balance to this forum. I think they were reported because a vocal few on this forum disagree.

There have been articles that you could have made this point against also (e.g. a thread made surrounding an article that disagreed with a part of issue # 7 and the majority of posts in that thread), as well as about 4 posters that take every opportunity to poke at the writer because he depicted the amazons more in line with their Greek background (and a large portion of Perez's origin story) as compared to the contradictory way they were portrayed from their founding dogma for being on Paradise Island as a noble and enlightened race sent to tell the rest of the world (or show the rest of the world) how to live better; it defied logic and now the depiction is more accurate, although issue # 7 could have been more tempered in depicting the point by showing it in other ways of how they mistrust or hate men because of their individual experiences with men created by their choice in men that eventually lead to them being burned.
    Last edited by dshipp17; 04-13-2012 at 03:27 AM.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NotSuper View Post
    (I consider myself a feminist, a real feminist, not the deluded anti-feminists who call themselves feminists--intellectual posers like Paglia and Hoff Sommers)
    Not that it really relates to anything, but I admire Camille Paglia. She's the English teacher you wish you had in high school; she can actually manage to make The Faerie Queene sound interesting to read. I don't consider her a fake feminist; every word of hers I've read seems infused with the liberating spirit of the Sixties.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

As for the Azzarello changes, I'm still undecided about what I think. Right now I'm more in the processing mode. For me, it's something of a conflict, as I LIKE stories where complex issues like this are discussed, but yet I don't want the Amazons to be brutal killers. So far I'm giving Azzarello the benefit of the doubt, as the story he's told has been very well-written (though that doesn't necessarily mean the changes are good). And I don't think it's designed to criticize women or present an anti-feminist message (I consider myself a feminist, a real feminist, not the deluded anti-feminists who call themselves feminists--intellectual posers like Paglia and Hoff Sommers), I think Azzarello might just be mixing some versions of the Amazon myth with his tendency to show the darkside of every character. I think one can make a case for it being a bad decision, but I don't think it's an anti-feminist one.

I'm personally hoping there's more to this story regarding the Amazons than we've been told. I'd like to hear their side of the story.
    I think you have exactly the right attitude to approach this current run of Wonder Woman. You don't want the Amazons to be brutal killers. Its a simple statement but it frames how you feel towards the story. For me, the concept of not liking the Amazons has never entered into my thoughts concerning Wonder Woman. They were like Krypton for me. Its background but not background I'm that interested in. This run though has really made the Amazons more interesting. Its not that I want them to be brutal killers. I just want them to be interesting. I want to see the rest of this because no group is exactly just one thing in reality. And if we aren't even going to try to reflect reality in some way then it loses some of its power as entertainment to me.

I really don't care for some ideas that have this imagined way the sexes exist then want to base a society off of it to pass as somehow pausible.

Mark Millar Licks Goats BeccaBlast's Avatar

That's actually not the case. You should read this. The idea that the Amazons were just goblins created by the Greeks is untrue. There were even shrines to the Amazons near their suspected graves and hero cults to the Amazons BY the Greeks.

Not to mention that they're presented pretty well in the Heracles labor--the two sides only had a conflict due to a vengeful deity (and Heracles' berserker rage is critiqued with his actions against Hippolyta). I'd argue that the myth was made to show Heracles' flaws in this instance, with the Amazons being used because they were a stock civilization in mythology. It could have just as easily been the Centaurs Herc had a battle with based on a misunderstanding (which he did, actually--leading to Chiron being poisoned by hydra blood).
    Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify...

An Exotic can obviously be admirable, even heroic; Othello is probably the greatest example of this in literature. The English court had just received its first emissaries from Mauritania, and you can imagine the effect that powerful, noble Africans had on the imagination of artists. The African slave trade would not begin for another two decades at least, so the animus necessary to keep that hideous business alive had not begun to flourish, nor all the "the character must be an Arab" arguments that would follow to convince people that the great Shakespeare certainly would NEVER say anything laudatory about an African. His earlier character Aaron the Moor, from Titus Andronicus, though, was a stereotypical foreign villain. Maybe we can blame that on his supposed co-author for that piece, Christopher Marlowe.

ANYway.... now that I've digressed enough; my point was that being an Other isn't necessarily evil in a cultural sense, but it usually is. The "barbarian" women of Scythia may have been admirable in some cases, individuals anyway, such as Hippolyta in some versions of the Labors of Heracles, or Penthesilea as a woman who won Achilles' heart on the battlefield, before his brutal nature took over and he cut her down. But there's a reason they weren't thought of as Greeks -- deep down, when it came to it, they were regarded as unnatural and unworthy, no matter how admirable some of them may have been. Being used as a measuring device for the greatness of a nation's heroes doesn't mean you're included in the nation; usually it's a certain sign that you are NOT. Hope that makes what I was getting at clearer.
    Some days a girl wants to ride ponies. Some days a girl wants to punch tanks. Today ... is a tank day.