Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Axel-In-Charge - Mar 23, 2012

In the wake of a full slate of WonderCon announcements, Marvel Comics Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso discusses his big plans for everything from the Ultimate U to Captain Marvel and more.

Full article here.

Damn it! More Marcus Johnson?
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Damn it! More Marcus Johnson?
    More Marcus Johnson appearances are fine, even if I find the idea behind his importance in questionable taste. Replacing the awesome Nick Fury 616 with Marcus Johnson? And just to get the toys and movies in line with the comics? That, I don't care for.

On the plus side, it's nice to hear Ms. Marvel won't be the only female title. Now if only Marvel would get behind both titles with some real support and marketing push.

I'm quite interested to see how Marcus will differ from Nick or why he deserves to be the man in charge at SHIELD. Then again, it can't be any more random than Maria Hill being appointed Head of SHIELD. I do kind of get why they'd bring him in, but the thing they're ignoring is part of the fun of the Ultimate Universe is being different from the 616. There's no reason for homogeneity across lines.

And I'm still not sure why they'd do Punisher in Space rather than take a second crack at Spencer/Cloonan's Doom mini. That would've been a great way to draw indie attention to the MU.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    I'm quite interested to see how Marcus will differ from Nick or why he deserves to be the man in charge at SHIELD. Then again, it can't be any more random than Maria Hill being appointed Head of SHIELD. I do kind of get why they'd bring him in, but the thing they're ignoring is part of the fun of the Ultimate Universe is being different from the 616. There's no reason for homogeneity across lines.

And I'm still not sure why they'd do Punisher in Space rather than take a second crack at Spencer/Cloonan's Doom mini. That would've been a great way to draw indie attention to the MU.
    Could be scheduling conflicts. Cloonan is doing Conan with Brian Wood for Dark Horse right now. The Doom book only had the first issue done, I think?
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

And Frank Castle flying around a spaceship and gunning for intergalactic mobsters is such a cool Elseworlds-like idea.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

EXACTLY. And it laughable to see Alex Alonso tout the Ultimate line as someplace different from 616, in one breath, and then in the next, talk about making everything match up. Yeah, Maria Hill's insertion wasn't exactly executed well, either.

Sadly, I think it's a creator hold up on the Doom book. I'd much rather see it than Punisher, but that's strictly a personal preference.

I still hope regular Nick Fury sticks around and continues to be a bad ass. He's Marvel's Clint Eastwood (in my eyes).

Man, why didnt they just have Fury change bodies with a black dude? That would have been so easy. Plus since that's what they are basically doing, it really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    EXACTLY. And it laughable to see Alex Alonso tout the Ultimate line as someplace different from 616, in one breath, and then in the next, talk about making everything match up.
    Come on though, it makes sense. If movie goers are picking up comics it's not going to be from the revamped Ultimate line which is quickly moving away from the Marvel status quo, so they're retconning the main universe to make it more accessable to potential movie goers/cartoon watchers/new fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBodyAtCBR View Post
    Come on though, it makes sense. If movie goers are picking up comics it's not going to be from the revamped Ultimate line which is quickly moving away from the Marvel status quo, so they're retconning the main universe to make it more accessable to potential movie goers/cartoon watchers/new fans.
    It only makes sense if you think the comics should service movies, cartoons, and toys -- which I think is a crap idea. If the Ultimate line is moving away from the movies, how much more further away is 616 already? We've had how many movies now? And where are all these easily confused NEW comic readers?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBodyAtCBR View Post
    So you are saying that these people are not going to notice that this dude is called Marcus instead of Nick and that he is not bald? That isnt going to confuse them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    So you are saying that these people are not going to notice that this dude is called Marcus instead of Nick and that he is not bald? That isnt going to confuse them?
    Or hey, Marcus has nothing to do with running the Avengers, which don't look anything at all like the guys in the movies. And where's Jane? Who are these All-Mothers? And most importantly, WHERE IS COULSON?

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

instead of creating Marcus Johnson i wish they would have had Ultimate Universe Nick Fury somehow get stranded in the 616. it would have been just as controversial but might have created more story opportunities. my biggest problem with Marcus is that i have the misfortune of knowing that Nick already had a kid (Mikel). and that kid was killed off; after being drug out of his safe civilian life. that just makes it seem like they were killing him off to make way for Marcus. that's just the worst way to introduce a new character, imo.

http://www.comicvine.com/mikel-fury/29-55801/
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Man, why didnt they just have Fury change bodies with a black dude? That would have been so easy. Plus since that's what they are basically doing, it really works.
    Suddenly reminded of this famous Punisher storyline