Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "Avengers Vs. X-Men" #1 Ships Early To Retailers

In order to ensure retailers have "Avengers Vs. X-Men" #1 in time for launch parties, Marvel Comics is shipping the issue one week early with the caveat that stores hold the issue until the official release date.

Full article here.

Picture Book Liker

"We love retailers and we want to give fans more reasons to come into comic shops."

Okay, then how about some comics that don't have "Avengers" or "X" in the title. Don't get me wrong, I love the Avengers and have an on-again-off-again romance with the X-Men, but when they take Thunderbolts and change it to Dark Avengers, it's a little much. My fear is that we'll be reaching a saturation point in the next year or so, where people are going to start getting turned off by anything with the Avengers name attached.
    Currently Reading: Hawkeye, Jupiter's Legacy, Mighty Avengers, Saga, Superior Spider-Man & Superior Foes (Bye: Fearless Defenders & Young Avengers)

yeah if I was a retailer I'd start selling some issues earlier at inflated prices

Launch parties? Seriously?

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    yeah if I was a retailer I'd start selling some issues earlier at inflated prices
    I'd imagine there's a mechanism in place to penalize that sort of thing. When Diamond went to Tuesday shipping a while back, they had secret shoppers out looking for people selling comics a day early and those retailers (if I'm recalling correctly) lost their day-early privileges.
    Expletive Deleted

Internet pirates are going to have a field day. I bet this thing is online the Thursday before it is released at the latest.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    Internet pirates are going to have a field day. I bet this thing is online the Thursday before it is released at the latest.
    My thoughts exactly.

I think the same thing happened with Blackest Night issue 6 (?).

It was on-line faster than you could say scan.

Okay, it's a little early, but 200,000 for what are arguably the two biggest franchises in comics.....underwhelming!

Quote Originally Posted by purgmc View Post
    Okay, it's a little early, but 200,000 for what are arguably the two biggest franchises in comics.....underwhelming!
    Besides Justice League #1, when was the last time something sold more than 200,000 copies?

Seriously, I don't know.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Everybody sell your copies early!!!
    And everyone buying dress up like DC characters!

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    "We love retailers and we want to give fans more reasons to come into comic shops."

Okay, then how about some comics that don't have "Avengers" or "X" in the title. Don't get me wrong, I love the Avengers and have an on-again-off-again romance with the X-Men, but when they take Thunderbolts and change it to Dark Avengers, it's a little much. My fear is that we'll be reaching a saturation point in the next year or so, where people are going to start getting turned off by anything with the Avengers name attached.
    The saturation point for me was a couple years ago. I love The Avengers but when it no longer became possible to follow the line (That's Avengers, Cap, Thor, Iron Man etc...) for under $100 a month I said screw it. I like to read about more than just one thing.

BANNED

as fans come flocking to their stores.

Seriously I don't there is going to be any flocking. The only real excitement I see for this event comes from Marvel. I guess inflating the orders through various means was so they can pretend it's a hit and hopefully people will buy inot the hype.

Seriously, the 1st issue, a Bendis book is going to be all over the internet a week before the book comes out. I can't wait to see what the online reaction is.

That's your anti hype right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Besides Justice League #1, when was the last time something sold more than 200,000 copies?

Seriously, I don't know.
    Including reorders, Batman #1 & Action Comics #1 both topped 200k iirc.

"With a record-breaking number of retailers participating in our 'Avengers Vs. X-Men' launch parties
    Wonder what record they are breaking here? Haven't noticed but are Launch Parties a regular thing for each event #1?

BANNED

I have a feeling the only record being broken here will be how any copies the retailers are going to get stuck with.

Marvel have basically just supplied an option of try before you buy. If it's not good and it's Bendis so what are the chances this is going to backfire on them and the retailers big time.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    Brilliant business strategy by the store owner. No wonder the LCBS is becoming extinct.