Default Whatever Happened to Detective McGonigle?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Detective McGonigle - Batman No. 3 (Fall 1940) - reprinted in The Batman Chronicles Volume Two (.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	90284

Okay, he seems to be a joke of a character that was in a couple of stories in Batman 3 (the original 1940 version, not the DCnU series) as a foil for Batman and Robin.

But since the Gotham City Police Force still seems to need some regular characters, it would be interesting if maybe Snyder or somebody latched on to this guy and re-invented him.

Any thoughts or comments? And does anybody know if he actually made any appearances after those two stories in Batman 3? (I checked www.comics.org, but those two stories were the only ones thay had for a character named McGonigle related to Batman stories.)

When I read the thread title, my first thought was, "Who?"

If anyone was going to bring him back, I'd think Morrison would be the one. He seems to love bringing back obscure characters.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

GCPD has a fair few characters: most the ones from Gotham Central, possibly even including Montoya and Allen; there were a bunch in Robin and Red Robin, and Detective Nick Gage from the last Batgirl series who was pretty awesome. I'd really like there to be a new series for the Gotham cops.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    When I read the thread title, my first thought was, "Who?"

If anyone was going to bring him back, I'd think Morrison would be the one. He seems to love bringing back obscure characters.
    I could see that--he brought back Detective Casey in Action Comics, who basically had the same function.

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    GCPD has a fair few characters: most the ones from Gotham Central, possibly even including Montoya and Allen; there were a bunch in Robin and Red Robin, and Detective Nick Gage from the last Batgirl series who was pretty awesome. I'd really like there to be a new series for the Gotham cops.
    But who do we know is on the force since the start of the DCnU?

And please don't give me that line about "Batman didn't change with the switch to the DCnU. Bruce and Damian may seem essentially similar to their pre-DCnU selves, but they so far are about it.

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But who do we know is on the force since the start of the DCnU?

And please don't give me that line about "Batman didn't change with the switch to the DCnU. Bruce and Damian may seem essentially similar to their pre-DCnU selves, but they so far are about it.
    Jim Gordon is still there. The rest of it is up in the air until some writer decides to bother using them. I hope most the pre-created characters survive. I'm assuming they're still there until told otherwise.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood