Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default WC12: DeConnick Soars with "Captain Marvel"

This July, veteran Avenger Carol Danvers takes over a heroic legacy as the title character of the new ongoing "Captain Marvel" series. CBR spoke to writer Kelly Sue DeConnick for details.

Full article here.

Interesting. her hair was long in one of the pictures.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

That said, my own optimism, my personal expectations are kept somewhat in check -- the market being what it is, an "ongoing" title seems to mean, what? 6-12 issues these days, isn't it? And that's if you're lucky. I want so badly to be proven wrong. We are trying very, very hard to overcome the learning curve and hit the ground running strong but I'm not planning year two at this point. If we get to 12 issues I will consider this a wild success.
    Few days ago I was bashed for being realistic about the title.....looks like Kelly agrees with me.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Interesting. her hair was long in one of the pictures.
    Jamie McKelvie has said that her hair is shoulder length, and is only slicked back when in costume with no "helmet". The two covers really don't show that very well, but the interior artwork seems to, as does McKelvie's design picture.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

I was worried at first, but after reading this, I'm on board fully. I love this character and hope that it can go for a while. I'm glad DeConnick is being realistic about how this comic can do.

Mighty Marvel UK Citizen Willow616's Avatar

a book wherein no one gets raped or puts her cervix on display

Brilliant. I'm on board.
    AVENGERS UK! A free fan comic made by fans for fans! Stiff upper lip old bean!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Jamie McKelvie has said that her hair is shoulder length, and is only slicked back when in costume with no "helmet". The two covers really don't show that very well, but the interior artwork seems to, as does McKelvie's design picture.
    Thank God.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

It's great to hear that this is a book about optimism, but those muddied colors aren't helping get that idea across.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

This sounds alright actually so I might have to give it a try. I loved Busiek's Carol, but I have been turned off her by Bendis's portrayal and I ditched her least series because I got bored. DeConnick seems to have some good ideas for her.
    ELEKTRA*LADY MASTERMIND*DAREDEVIL*ARIEL

I'm interested, even if this series partly ties into Avengers vs X-men in the first few issues.

Glad to see this take is going to be emphasizing Carol's military/pilot background. I'm definitely excited about this book.

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    Few days ago I was bashed for being realistic about the title.....looks like Kelly agrees with me.
    If this series fails and causes Carol to go into limbo, I'll be quite angry.
    "I want to see beautiful people doing amazing things." - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by IronMagnus View Post
    If this series fails and causes Carol to go into limbo, I'll be quite angry.
    While I don't think Carol will go into limbo if the series fails, I agree it will be frustrating if the series sputters and fails. I think what Marvel can do to help is to keep as solid and consistent a creative team as possible. It always sucks when we're sold on a writer+art combo and that quickly goes away and we're left with some weird rotating nonsense. I think that's what has helped a lot with DC's new 52, although even there they are struggling to keep creators on some books!
    From us comic fans' side of things, we need to pick this up and stick with it. I think DeConnick is a solid writer - let's give her a chance.

"C'mon now, people: prove me wrong. Show me that a female-led book about the power of the human spirit, about the many guises of heroism, a book wherein no one gets raped or puts her cervix on display, can break six issues, won't you?"

Ok, I have to admit this quote right here is a mix of pure of genius and sensationalism at its finest.

So far, I'm not seeing anything that would interest me in this book.