Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default WC12: Gage Brings the "AvX" Battle to "Avengers Academy"

Writer Christos Gage speaks to CBR News about June's "Avengers Vs. X-Men" tie-in arc of his ongoing "Avengers Academy" series, guest starring the Lights of "Generation Hope."

Full article here.

BANNED

I am very PUMPED for this arc!

So in other words all of the tie-in issues for Academy will make both the Avengers and the X-men elders look bad in eyes of their students.

Still, it does seems interesting and it makes me wonder if anyone of the Adults will try to apologize to the kids when all is said and done and the damage is done to them and their fragile minds ?

Also Gage, I was hoping someone would point out to the likes of Surge and Dust that either way they were goign to be killed upon Utopia if they were to stay there during the battles of Act 1.

I mean that's why the School was brought back, right ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    So in other words all of the tie-in issues for Academy will make both the Avengers and the X-men elders look bad in eyes of their students.

Still, it does seems interesting and it makes me wonder if anyone of the Adults will try to apologize to the kids when all is said and done and the damage is done to them and their fragile minds ?

Also Gage, I was hoping someone would point out to the likes of Surge and Dust that either way they were goign to be killed upon Utopia if they were to stay there during the battles of Act 1.

I mean that's why the School was brought back, right ?
    I'm actually really okay with the elders looking bad. It would give more of a reason for the kids of Academy to bond and sympathize with the New X-Men and Generation Hope.

EDIT: Not to mention, I'd LOVE if Hazmat starts to befriend X-23.

First the Runaways, now the 5 lights. It seems Gage has decided all the main characters suck and he needs to bring in other teams and focus on them instead. I'm glad I'm dropping this.
    Mah Sheet: Moon Knight, Thor, Wolfsbane, Paladin, Doc Ock, Black Bolt, Cage, Hawkeye, Sunfire, Boomerang, Hellcat, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Bishop, Magik, Cypher

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hockstatter View Post
    First the Runaways, now the 5 lights. It seems Gage has decided all the main characters suck and he needs to bring in other teams and focus on them instead. I'm glad I'm dropping this.
    Um...no, that's not what he's doing.
    He's just having the cast bounce off the other kid teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Um...no, that's not what he's doing.
    He's just having the cast bounce off the other kid teams.
    Ok then, thanks for that. They even said 2 issues focus on Sentinel and his amazing pal. The Academy kids were MIA in the Runaways issue (maybe they were making paper planes har!har!har!) and when Magneto showed up he took center stage too. I don't blame Gage, the kids are pretty bland characters. It's been near 30 issues and none of their personalities have gone past completely basic and generic ("I'm Gay" and "I'm a b-word" or "I feel bad about killing nazis"don't count as development). I wanted to care about the Academy kids but nothing is making me do that. Alas, I will be dropping the title. This has been my response and the end of our rapport. Good day to you sir.
    Mah Sheet: Moon Knight, Thor, Wolfsbane, Paladin, Doc Ock, Black Bolt, Cage, Hawkeye, Sunfire, Boomerang, Hellcat, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Bishop, Magik, Cypher

It's funny how this title has become a sanctuary for cancelled character books.

Gage has been doing a great job though.

From the interview, I have the impression that the X-kids will leave at the end of the first arc. The cover of AA 31 make me think that some students will help them escape. Also it doesn't make sense for the X-men to come to the Academy for destroy a sentinel and not for free the kids.

I don't see why they have to die if they stay on Utopia during the battle. I doubt the Avengers (or the X-men) will use letal force. We don't even know if the kids will come to the academy before or after the battle. If it's after, maybe they fought and survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing15 View Post
    From the interview, I have the impression that the X-kids will leave at the end of the first arc. The cover of AA 31 make me think that some students will help them escape. Also it doesn't make sense for the X-men to come to the Academy for destroy a sentinel and not for free the kids.

Also it just one Sentinal controlled by a kid, how can that lone Sentinal cause any problem ?

Plus, even if they do destory it, it would just make the X-men look a bit worse than the Avengers overall. I mean at least the Avengers tried to protect the kids from harm and the X-men may or maynot have made things a bit worse.

Also it just one Sentinal controlled by a kid, how can that lone Sentinal cause any problem ?

Plus, even if they do destory it, it would just make the X-men look a bit worse than the Avengers overall. I mean at least the Avengers tried to protect the kids from harm and the X-men may or maynot have made things a bit worse.
    The Avengers will detain kids that, for what we know, will do nothing wrong. From Gage's interviews I have the impression that neither the Avengers or the X-men will be the good guys in AA.

About the Sentinel, it's strange. When the X-men came to the Academy, they didn't have a problem with the Sentinel.

Maybe the X-men want to finish what they started in Schism, and obtain a complete disarm of all Sentinels. Or maybe the Avengers will use Juston's Sentinel for detain the kids.

I"ll be interested in seeing what happens to Sebastian Shaw after this.

BANNED

This book is great. I do wish they'd just decide who the focus of this book is and stick to it for a while though. That being said I can't wait to see Gage take on the Utopia kids.

As much as I hate any book relying on an event to boost sales I'm sure this will benefit from it in the short term at least. The lower selling titles tend to. But going forward I really think if they wan't this book to survive and sticking with Marvel's new 'what's in a name' marketing ploy, I would like this book to inherit the New Avengers name. Maybe leaving room for an addition for Young Avengers to the line too.

It's a Sentinel. I don't imagine rationality enters into it. Sentinels ruined the future that Rachel came from. That guy that killed the Hellions (Emma's first students) used them when he killed the Hellions. A Sentinel was responsible for the death of Senator Kelly's wife, which triggered Project Wideawake and ultimately Zero Tolerance, where more Sentinels killed more mutants. Cassandra Nova used a massive Sentinel to kill an entire nation of mutants. Even with the few good Sentinels it's hardly surprising that when the X-Men see a Sentinel all they think about is how to destroy it, not whether it should be destroyed.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain" Steven Pinker

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbird View Post
    It's a Sentinel. I don't imagine rationality enters into it. Sentinels ruined the future that Rachel came from. That guy that killed the Hellions (Emma's first students) used them when he killed the Hellions. A Sentinel was responsible for the death of Senator Kelly's wife, which triggered Project Wideawake and ultimately Zero Tolerance, where more Sentinels killed more mutants. Cassandra Nova used a massive Sentinel to kill an entire nation of mutants. Even with the few good Sentinels it's hardly surprising that when the X-Men see a Sentinel all they think about is how to destroy it, not whether it should be destroyed.
    In the end, I truly feel kind of sorry for the kid with the "good" Sentinel, I mean I don't think even if the X-men were to say sorry to him.

I mean in a way, they say Mutant tend to ruin Humans lives and the X-men try to fight against that, but in another way I can see this as a no-win situation for anyone.