Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    You're superior to pryde in my eyes -tlp

Are you trying to fight me, teddy? I believe in gender equality, I will falcon punch you - Jan 'slacker' Brady

Oh... my... those pictures, um, certainly don't need any words
    Last edited by Siryn; 04-28-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Rogue and Magneto (and Spiderman) as Back to the Future characters!

test

Are you trying to fight me, teddy? I believe in gender equality, I will falcon punch you - Jan 'slacker' Brady

Oooh, I like! Is that a banner for a webpage you're doing or something? :)

No. I was trying to do figure out how to do the multi-gifs on a background image. It's a bit cruddy cause i don't have enough good x-men pics on my new laptop

Oh, well, I think it looks nice :)

lil something I came up with awhile back for one of my other favorite characters. I edited to include coupley questions

Rogue/Magneto. Why do you ship them?

1. When or if I started shipping them:

2. What I think their challenge is:.

3. What makes me happy about them:

4. What makes me sad about them:

5. What moment I wish had never happened:

6. Who I’d be comfortable them ending up with, if not each other:

7.My happily ever after for them:

The Proteus arc of MC's Legacy.

2. What I think their challenge is:

Getting over the things they've done in the past. Rogue needs to end things on relatively good terms with Gambit, while Magneto needs to try and come to terms with his past. He should apologize for anything he's done that might have hurt Rogue, like what he's been doing recently with his kids.

Wait, scratch that. Their biggest challenge at the moment is picking up the damn phone and calling each other. :|

They're so different, but it works because their differences compliment each other well.

Neither one of them knows how to use a phone, but I suppose that can't be helped. Magneto grew up in a Warsaw ghetto, while Rogue grew up in the middle-of-nowhere Mississippi. I suppose they're not accustomed to this newfangled technology.

Probably that Antarctica thing, but only so I wouldn't have to read all the crazy BS people write about it.

6. Who I’d be comfortable them ending up with, if not each other:

No one for Magneto, he's a loner. But Rogue? I don't know. Not Gambit, that's for sure. I think she should probably be single for a while, so she can establish herself as a character without any romantic subplots.

Marriage! And a shopping trip! I really want to see them doing ordinary stuff together. Although at this point, I'd settle for them appearing in a comic together, even if they're both wallpaper.
    Last edited by Siryn; 05-11-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Teddy, you didn't fill out your own survey! D:

Quote Originally Posted by teddyeatsyourface View Post
    lil something I came up with awhile back for one of my other favorite characters. I edited to include coupley questions

The answer would have to be: after UXM #274 and 275 came out. (The way the subsequent Gambit/Rogue "romance" (Gague) progressed certainly reinforced the effect of the chemistry I had seen between Rogue and Magnus in the Savage Land.)

2. What I think their challenge is:

In general: For the relationship to work, Magneto has to be siding with the angels or at least in a position of (benevolent) neutrality, as Rogue's ethics would forbid her to continue with it otherwise. And there are many writers etc. around who would love to turn Magneto into a big bad villain again...

Currently: Picking up the telephone, it would seem.

Their relationship makes an intriguing mixture, most notably their differing philosophies - Rogue's idealism and Magneto's pragmatism - and outlooks on life - Rogue's optimism, Magnus' pessimism - allow them to have interesting arguments that are about matters of importance. And I generally got the feeling that when they are in a relationship with each other (and here I'm using "relationship" to encompass "comradeship" and "friendship" as well as "romantic relationship"), it really is good for both of them.

At the moment. That they haven't spoken to each other since XML #260.

Well, maybe "wish" is too strong a word, but I would have preferred if the mess in Antarctica after the return from space had not happened. I can understand that someone in editorial wanted to restore Gague, but facilitating that by pushing Magneto further into villainhood and trying to "balance" Gambit's treatment of Rogue by having her leave him to die in Antarctica was a cheap trick typical of the bad writing that was standard for so much of 1990s Gague stories. What was particularly bad about it was that it made Remy look like a spineless worm who did not care for Rogue except as a means of sexual gratification. The only member of the romantic quadrilateral of the era who came out looking halfway decent was Joseph, but of course for many readers (and probably the creators of the day) he had to be ruled out because Clones Don't Deserve Happiness.

6. Who Id be comfortable them ending up with, if not each other:

Magneto is accustomed to being a loner and it seems he regards this as his natural state (I'm one of those people who to this day can't really buy him as Polaris' father), so I'd be comfortable with him staying alone. Looking at things from stuff bandied about on discussion groups and in fan-fiction, I'd probably be most comfortable with Storm if you twisted my arm about him having to be in another relationship.

For Rogue the canonic relationships apart from R/M that to me had the most potential were the budding romance bit Joseph and the nothing-more-than-friendship with Iceman, so I could feel comfortable with Bobby if written by someone like Lobdell or Carey. But, seeing their recent interactions in XML, I think I could also become accustomed to Rogue/Sam or Rogue/Rachel. Rogue probably could work with a lot of different characters, given the chance.

Well, it would be fun if they eventually had a kid or two in the mainstream timeline as well. Also, ultimately I'd like to see Rogue either becoming the X-Men's leader or setting up a team of her own, as I like the way she thinks better than Scott's or Logan's. And that could be interesting both in a scenario where Magneto supported her or one where he kept second-guessing her (much in the way Logan did to Scott or Rogue recently did to Logan).

1. When or if I started shipping them: I started 'shipping' them as friends around the time I first read Marvel Fanfare 33 and Magneto's first team up with the x-men post-almost killing kitty, then having a change of heart and turning 'good'. I 'shipped' them as a couple after reading their time in the savage land.

2. What I think their challenge is: Besides the writers? They're both pretty stubborn and a bit self-involved (as you can see from the whole no phone call debacle). They both need to learn how to open up more with each other and other people.

3. What makes me happy about them: I like that, for rogue, Magneto is someone that is not afraid to let her do what she wants/needs. He's supportive of her going across the country and doing what she feels she needs to do; because he cares for her regardless of the distance between them. Another thing I like about Magneto for Rogue is the fact that he doesn't try to "baby" her. He's not rushing to her side everytime she trips over her shoe, or when she gets a papercut. He's more likely to remind her of her strength than her weakness. Basically he treats her like an adult. Now for Magneto, Rogue is someone who will keep him on his toes. She won't allow him to dominate her or go back into his old ways. She'll stand up to him and be his friend/lover at the same time. Because Rogue is also someone who struggled with redemption and the consequences of her actions I believe that she offers a sort of "unspoken" support for Magneto that he didn't have the first time he joined the X-Men. She "understands" him, but again she's not going to let him get away with going back to bad habits.

4. What makes me sad about them: That they probably won't get the development as a couple that they should have. Rogue and Magneto is really quite the odd couple. There's a ton of interesting stories that can be developed from their union, but with marvel going event crazy and for some reason writers want to tend to the romy fans by constantly teasing Gambit/Rogue. We'll probably never get to see half of what the rogue/magneto relationship is capable of.

5. What moment I wish had never happened: Um, I don't know. The Antarctica moment was more Rogue/Gambit than it was Rogue/Magneto or Rogue/Joseph.
    Magneto wanted to show that Gambit was a "race traitor" and he did. Rogue decided that enough lies have been told (which of course was retconned because of fourse Rogue could forgive gambit of being involved with a massacre and then not telling her or the x-men about it even though she was personally tortured by his memories of the situation) so she left him in the destroyed base. Then a green ghost woman did something. Idk the 90's were hella weird. So yeah. i don't have moment for them together. :/

6. Who Id be comfortable them ending up with, if not each other: Magneto is pretty difficult because he doesn't normally pursue or even care about pursuing a relationship. I'd probably go with Storm (since CC actually planned on making them a couple during his run), but he'd have the same problems with Ororo as he has with Rogue...

Rogue, I would like to see her with someone relatively normal. Someone who treats her like an adult. Maybe a new character? Someone human? That would be interesting.

7.My happily ever after for them: For them to grow as characters and as a couple. MAYBE have a kid (if only to see the awesome power combo). It would be great if them as a couple was just average and you see random panels from time to time that shows them hold hands or eating lunch or whatever. Also I wouldn't mind if they became the bucky/natasha of the x-word

Quote Originally Posted by teddyeatsyourface View Post

2. What I think their challenge is: Besides the writers? They're both pretty stubborn and a bit self-involved (as you can see from the whole no phone call debacle). They both need to learn how to open up more with each other and other people.

3. What makes me happy about them: I like that, for rogue, Magneto is someone that is not afraid to let her do what she wants/needs. He's supportive of her going across the country and doing what she feels she needs to do; because he cares for her regardless of the distance between them. Another thing I like about Magneto for Rogue is the fact that he doesn't try to "baby" her. He's not rushing to her side everytime she trips over her shoe, or when she gets a papercut. He's more likely to remind her of her strength than her weakness. Basically he treats her like an adult. Now for Magneto, Rogue is someone who will keep him on his toes. She won't allow him to dominate her or go back into his old ways. She'll stand up to him and be his friend/lover at the same time. Because Rogue is also someone who struggled with redemption and the consequences of her actions I believe that she offers a sort of "unspoken" support for Magneto that he didn't have the first time he joined the X-Men. She "understands" him, but again she's not going to let him get away with going back to bad habits.
    What is both intriguing and at times infuriating about Rogue and Magneto is how much goes unspoken between them. Infuriating especially if you are accustomed to having relevant information spoon-fed to you and people in superhero comics wearing their feelings on their sleeves at all times. But given their life stories, it really is in character for both of them to be more reticent. On-panel Rogue certainly seems to divulge much more about her feelings for him to others (especially Rachel and more recently Mimic) than she ever does to him. This reluctance or refusal to put their feelings into words to each other's face even when they are committed to each other or on the way of becoming so is, I think, one of the things that makes their relationship quite different from most other superhero relationships, maybe even unique. It is something completely different from the more common angsting of admitting to those feelings on the lines of "Oh Jean, if you only knew how much I love you" - Rogue and Magneto have after all expressed their feelings physically on a few occasions.

It is a strange dialectic of strength and insecurity - each one of them is strong enough to live a life and function in their chosen role on their own and each one of them knows that the other is too, but both are scared of appearing to compromise their autonomy. Failing to pick up the phone is one aspect of this, but perhaps even more telling is the scene in Paris in XML #252, where Magneto explains to Frenzy why he didn't rush to Rogue's sickbed after she was injured in battle:

"Because it would demean both of us. The strong prefer to have no witnesses to their weakness. You should know that better than anyone."

More recently, in #265, something similar seems to be at work when Rogue stubbornly insists on solving the crisis on her own, without calling on Magneto for support, even though several of her friends offer to call him for her. And if I may use an alternate reality example, XML #252 also put me in mind of Age of Apocalypse, specifically of the scene in Astonishing X-Men #1 where Rogue sets off with her team on her own and when Quicksilver asks her if she has said good-bye to her husband she replies: "I'll never say good-bye, because that would imply we'd never see each other again. And that will never happen." In the same way Magneto's refusal to wipe Rogue's fevered brow in #252 paradoxically is his way of expressing his confidence in her.

Your answer to No. 3 expresses something more explicitly what I obliquely referred to their relationship being good for both of them. In the aforementioned XML #265 Rogue mentions an aspect of this to Mimic:

"He's one'a the people helped me respect mahself by treatin' me like someone who deserves it. Ah ain't gonna throw that away 'cause it'd be easier ta hand the wheel to someone else. Even him."

Here she is clearly referring to the Savage Land Trilogy (UXM #269, 274, 275), which was an important crossroads for her. She had been at a pretty low point when she entered the Siege Perilous - her mind was increasingly dominated by the Carol persona, and some of her teammates, people she had come to think of as friends, were decidedly unsympathetic, apparently even preferring to deal with "Carol" than her - and having first to survive on her own in the Savage Land and then getting through the war against Zaladane's forces with Magneto did a lot to raise her confidence in herself. And there the way Magneto treated her as an adult (listening to what she had to say), the way she saw that even without her superpowers she could make a difference - persuading Magneto to spare the Mutates' lives, forging the alliance between the SHIELD forces and Magneto - helped to make her realize her own strengths and worth. Even at the time it first came out it struck me how Rogue soon settled into a position where she and Magneto functioned as partners of equal rank, which on reflection was a bit different from the way she tended to regard e. g. Xavier, Ororo and Logan as figures of (albeit not absolute) authority pre-Siege.

Last edited by teddyeatsyourface; 05-20-2012 at 12:07 AM.