Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gundam

Default Gundam

Any Gundam fans here? Which series?

I am partial to the various Universal Century myself. Even the 70s original is a classic of science fiction. Too bad Gundam Zeta never really took off in the US. Gundam Wing was the best alternate reality, and haven't followed the more recent SEED and ACE etc.

But Gundam Unicorn is amazing, you must watch that.

The Green Knight Lord of the Unreal's Avatar

Gundam Wing
    "The dream does not end until I say so."

Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Gundam Seed, Gundam 00, and the original Mobile Suit Gundam- not in any particular order.

Turn A Gundam and the first season of Gundam 00 are my favorite parts of this franchise.

Gundam Wing is not bad but the second half of the show just bored me. As the second season of Gundam 00 did.

Zeta Gundam is really interesting, i didn't like the original show, not a big fan of Seed (mainly because i can stand the main character though) but it's entertaining enough.
    Last edited by Castel; 08-28-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Gundam Seed Destiny started off okay but I quickly started hating Shinn. Every time he came on screen I was hoping someone would kill him.

So about halfway through the series fell apart.

I usually enjoy the UC-timeline stuff. I am mostly fine with Gundam Wing, but SEED and later series have not really caught me. I also quite enjoy G Gundam, but I have entirely different expectations of that series.
    Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

I'm a UC Fan, though I luv me some X and Turn A(and G Gundam's not that bad). Seed completely lost me however and I haven't watched 00 or AGE(and don't plan to frankly). I need to catch up on Unicorn now that I think about it.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Turn-A Gundam is easily my favorite.

In most gundam shows i don't like the main male character (original, seed, wing, g, age, unicorn for example) but in this case i did like Loran a lot. i enjoyed the retro/steampunk ambiance and the fact they used lot of different mobile suits from different shows. (as the CC is kinda supposed to take place in the UC future)

This show has really something unique. And not just the gundam looks.

Second favorite is Wing, then 00, Zeta and Char's Counterattack. (movie)

Didn't care much about the other animes.
    Last edited by Addams; 08-28-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Turn A Gundam was interesting, a good try, but not my thing. G Gundam was quite a different style, but a lot of fun! Gundam Wing is still alternate reality, especially Endless Waltz.

Are any of the newer shows any good, should I give them a chance?

Please just pay attention to Gundam Unicorn...

Just try these shows and see by yourself. Best way to go.

That's how we did it.

Honestly so far there is no Gundam show that i have completely hated. Even Age has its moments. (not a lot but...)

Overall that's a pretty strong franchise so, yeah, watch and enjoy. Can't really go wrong.
    Last edited by Castel; 08-28-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    Turn-A Gundam is easily my favorite.
    Great one indeed.

The narration is sometimes a bit weird, we jump from a scene to an another without pretty much any transition, but it's definitely a very impressive anime.

My personal favorite is 00, especially the first season. The second is entertaining but the story is kind of redundant. The first season's end was perfect in my opinion, their final goal was achieved, it was the logical way to finish the story.

Gundam Seed was a freaking huge success. Not my favorite, not by a long shot but hey, can't deny its popularity.

Wing is the one i would advice a newbie to watch first i think. You get the colonies versus earth thing going on, which is such a big thematic in Gundam, mechas are cool, many "main" characters so even if you don't like some there is at least one or two you can like. There is of course a Char's clone, and a cool one at that. The story isn't all that captivating but it's good enough.

That's a solid first taste of the franchise.

Of course there is the UC but if you want to understand it all you better start with the old shows and well, that's not for everybody. Not at first.
    Last edited by Nico Olvia; 08-29-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Turn-A probably my favourite of all time (though I haven't watched the movie recuts yet) but that is possibly enhanced because it references so much magnificent stuff that came before.

Universal Century is absolutely brilliant of course (with the exception of the weird live action movie) though I haven't gotten past the first ep yet of Gundam Unicorn (need time to sit down and absorb.)

Absolutely loved Gundam X, Gundam Seed (all of it), Gundam 00 etc, enjoyed Gundam Wing and was an initial doubter for Gundam AGE but am now fully converted loving this series.

Gundam G is a strange beast, haven't watched it all so not able to make an informed decision though what I have seen makes it the oddity of the Gundam franchise IMO.

I cannot wait for Gundam Origin to come out (if it actually ever will.)

Battletech was my first tangible entry to the world of giant Mecha followed by Robotech but Gundam eclipses them all for me!
    "They can try, but no one's gonna care." Legendary Quote by MartinRedmond

Speaking of Gundam i watched the original anime recently and for being honest, well, let's just say that time can truly be a bitch sometimes.

But that was fun. For some reason slapping around people seems to be an accepted social behavior in this universe which truly makes some episodes hilarious to watch.

I mean, is there anyone in the Earth federation that Bright Noa has not slapped yet ?

Anyway, i would say that my little favorites are Gundam Wing, Seed, Zeta and Victory. Unicorn is quite the candy for the eye, no doubt, but i don't find the story to be very interesting.

I gotta say, the whole Amuro and Char saga is one of my favorites, Tomino is the man. Zeta being my top fav there.
    DROKK IT!!

I know Zeta took Gundam to the next level but I loved ZZ just as much and also Victory with the female team.

IMO the longer series kill the OVAs and movie recuts for Gundam.
    "They can try, but no one's gonna care." Legendary Quote by MartinRedmond