Page 306 of 756 FirstFirst ... 206256296302303304305306307308309310316356406 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,590 of 11339
  1. #4576
    Elder Member jesse_custer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,646

    Default

    Well, it's understandable that poorer white people have a tough time getting the idea of white privilege. I grew up with people like that, and most of their racism is either passed down from ancestors or based on limited anecdotal evidence of black social hiccups. They're typically isolated in white places with few economic or social opportunities. I do not judge them, but I hope that something down the road can change their views. (My mother changed her views, and it seems my dad is saying "black person" more than the alternative, so there's hope.)

    You're right about protagonists. That doesn't mean I can't or don't enjoy John Wayne, but denying what you said would qualify as willful ignorance.

  2. #4577
    Hey, Larry! Darrell D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    It's very simple. Whitesplaining is not a stereotype. The term describes a specific action that is related to white privilege, which is an undeniable sociological phenomenon.

    Obviously the word whitesplaining can be offensive, but it's not a "racist" term. Saying so just makes you a whiny white person.
    Yeah, pretty much.
    All this talk reminded me of a great Louis CK bit.


  3. #4578
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Somewhere In....AMERICA!
    Posts
    50,355

    Default

    Watching one of the Steve Wilkos episodes of his talk show ....he has a potential racial profiling case on. This one lady swears that she was racially targeted by one of the store employees who works in loss recovery in the store chain. That she was railroaded into jail by this store employee who she claims used racial taunts and all to get a stolen camera back. The other lady (the employee) was the one who claims she was stealing and all . The lady claims she didn't target her due to race or use racial slurs. And that the lady tried to run her over on purpose to get away with stealing .

    The 2 ladies nearly fight on stage as security keeps them away. The black lady yells out "You snowball looking b-tch !" As Wilkos admits that isn't good to prove her case.


    Wilkos had both take a lie detector test.

    Store Employee - Her results show she didn't racially profile the other lady stealing. She also didn't taunt her racially either. That she was acting in her job basically to get back the stolen goods more or less.

    The Other Lady - She basically admits she was stealing. She also admits during the test she tried to run the lady over with her car and admits she wished she had hit and killed her !

    The store employee basically goes "Your one dumb b-tch" to the other one.

    Wilkos confronts the woman after the employee leaves the stage and discusses it. That she painted herself as a victim and its showed , she was the one responsible. She even admitted she wanted to run her over with her car !
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

    Sucks 200 character limit.

  4. #4579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    Some people mistakenly believe that because white people aren't "oppressed" or a minority certain offensive words shouldn't be considered racist. Its called reverse racism.
    Is it still ok if we just call you a racist, or should we go with reverse-reverse racist?
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

  5. #4580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    Not really, everything suggests he's a complete dick. If he was truly innocent, he'd still be a complete dick. And he does seem to think he's innocent, even when everyone knows he was following an innocent kid around and then "confronted" him.




    Zimmerman comes off as having no respect for life. I mean for a guy that supposedly survived a life and death struggle he certainly doesnt act like he is grateful to be alive. he acts like it was a forgone conclusion. Which in my opinion shows he was never really in danger.

    Have you seen someone survive a horrific they act very appreciative to be alive. Zimmerman has always had the demeanor that he was ALWAYS in control..even when recounting his struggle.

    He told his story like..I dont want to go to jail..Not like, this is where I fought for my life. No Panic at all.

    And Im still shocked News Agencies havent re-run the footage where he said he put his hand over his mouth and nose so he wouldnt scream, then said..I mean he put his hand over my mouth and nose so i wouldnt scream.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

  6. #4581
    Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon McKinnis View Post
    Is it still ok if we just call you a racist, or should we go with reverse-reverse racist?
    I think Bizarro-Reverse Racist sounds pretty good.

    CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

    X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

  7. #4582
    Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Well, it's understandable that poorer white people have a tough time getting the idea of white privilege. I grew up with people like that, and most of their racism is either passed down from ancestors or based on limited anecdotal evidence of black social hiccups. They're typically isolated in white places with few economic or social opportunities. I do not judge them, but I hope that something down the road can change their views. (My mother changed her views, and it seems my dad is saying "black person" more than the alternative, so there's hope.)

    You're right about protagonists. That doesn't mean I can't or don't enjoy John Wayne, but denying what you said would qualify as willful ignorance.
    It's about lived experience, most of their negative social experiences are based in what class they are. But the reason why I'm not as lenient on them is because I have seen far too many of them enter these discussions with non White individuals who are also poor. In the end the poor racial minority knows what it is like to deal with not having both class and racial privileges. Because of that they are more likely to be able to tell if some negative experience is because of their race or their class. So when a poor White person denies White privilege it feels like they forget that they are not the only people who are poor.

    In similar ways it is like a discussion between a Black man and a Black woman about sexism vs racism or a Heterosexual woman and a Homosexual woman about sexism vs homophobia.

  8. #4583

    Default

    Good point Mece.

    Also I think the thing overlooked when discussing poor Whites and Blacks is..if both poor persons were to get a suit and enter an area..one would be more accepted than the other. IE it would be easier for one to drop the visage of his or her class with the purchase..the other still has the sin of his or her skin.

    Number two the unwritten reality of being poor and white is one of shame. Ive seen it, living next to a white trailer park in my youth.. Its like they arent allowed to exist..and are prejudiced against..simply because others feel like hey at least you have the advantage of being white..how the heck did you fail--when you have advantages over everyone else.

    Also..there are still societal mechanisms that shun race integration/participation.

    Not that --this sentiment is valid or constructive. but the Stigma is real--all it takes is one disagreement and for either hurt party to use a racial zinger..and the negotiations are over.

    SEE: KAnye West. WHo is brought up ad nausea. But No one brings up Hank Williams who took his daughter out of a black Hospital that saved her life after a car crash..and Hank went on a racial tirade that the mostly minority hosptial wasnt up to par, and would do more harm than good.

    That gets pushed under the rug....but I digress.
    Last edited by RolandJP; 07-25-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

  9. #4584
    Elder Member Shellhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    17,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    SEE: KAnye West. WHo is brought up ad nausea. But No one brings up Hank Williams who took his daughter out of a black Hospital that saved her life after a car crash..and Hank went on a racial tirade that the mostly minority hosptial wasnt up to par, and would do more harm than good.
    I don't know about that. I mean, I literally did not know about the Hank Williams incident. I am only just barely aware of his existence, and tend to get him confused with Hank Williams Jr for some reason. Kanye West does seem like an extreme fame-whore, willing to do anything in service of his rampaging ego and absolute craving for attention. He could certainly be with a younger and more attractive woman than Kim Kardashian, but her fame boosts his fame.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

  10. #4585
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    SEE: KAnye West. WHo is brought up ad nausea. But No one brings up Hank Williams who took his daughter out of a black Hospital that saved her life after a car crash..and Hank went on a racial tirade that the mostly minority hosptial wasnt up to par, and would do more harm than good.
    You're thinking of HWJr, who has said that wasn't true.

    What IS true is John Wayne's pro-racist remarks: “I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgement to irresponsible people." " He also called Native Americans "selfish" (for WHAT, I have no idea). And if you want to see a perfect example of both whitesplaining and mansplaining (by a woman), here it is:

    I was not able to find a copy of the interview (I don’t have back issues of Playboy just laying around). I was, however, able to read excerpts in the book John Wayne: American. Although they were contentious, I personally didn’t find them offensive. I don’t necessarily agree with some of them, but I think he was just expressing his opinion. I think the remarks are open to interpretation. If you’re looking for a fight, then you could find one.

    Likewise, I could find no references to Wayne calling Native Americans savages. He did call them selfish in the Playboy interview, but that’s a matter of opinion, not racism.
    In other words, even when you say the most racist shit out there, it's just an opinion and TOTES not racism.
    Last edited by Diamond Princess; 07-26-2012 at 09:28 AM.

  11. #4586
    Hey, Larry! Darrell D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I don't know about that. I mean, I literally did not know about the Hank Williams incident. I am only just barely aware of his existence, and tend to get him confused with Hank Williams Jr for some reason. Kanye West does seem like an extreme fame-whore, willing to do anything in service of his rampaging ego and absolute craving for attention. He could certainly be with a younger and more attractive woman than Kim Kardashian, but her fame boosts his fame.
    Why is Kayne West considered a fame whore when he speaks out on social issues, but someone like Brad Pitt or Bono aren't?

  12. #4587
    Elder Member Shellhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    17,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Why is Kayne West considered a fame whore when he speaks out on social issues, but someone like Brad Pitt or Bono aren't?
    It's possible that Kanye cares about these social issues that he speaks out on, but since he is otherwise so ridiculously narcissistic, it comes across as another way to get attention. Bono had been famous for years before he started speaking out on social issues. Brad Pitt doesn't seem like he enjoys all the attention that he gets in the media.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

  13. #4588
    MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    14,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Princess View Post
    [John Wayne] also called Native Americans "selfish" (for WHAT, I have no idea).
    How dare they try to keep their lands for themselves when White people need it! :-\

    The full quote is:
    "I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.

    So I guess it's okay when some street thug hits you up for something he "needs," as long as they outnumber you.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

  14. #4589
    Elder Member Charles RB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    35,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Bono had been famous for years before he started speaking out on social issues.

    And people do mock him for it. (Also because of the tax avoidance)
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

  15. #4590
    Hey, Larry! Darrell D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    It's possible that Kanye cares about these social issues that he speaks out on, but since he is otherwise so ridiculously narcissistic, it comes across as another way to get attention. Bono had been famous for years before he started speaking out on social issues. Brad Pitt doesn't seem like he enjoys all the attention that he gets in the media.
    I dunno. Kayne has his style, so the criticism for his speaking out smacks a bit of a double standard.
    Or, the fact that he speaks frankly and honestly, such as after Katrina.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •