Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Read some of the golden oldies starting with issue 8, how I love that hilarious issue
    Issue 16 has one thing to note about it for those who played TASM video game, the quoted the cake line from that issue
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Spider-Men
    Only a few comments to give on this story, or what I read of it:
    1. Spider-Man is an Avenger, but he's not trusted by cops, and he entered his old Chelsea apartment, or what looks like it
    2. Mysterio in the Ultimate Universe is controlled by classic Quentin Beck using Stark technology, interesting
    3. How did Peter come to the conclusion this Nick is better than the one he knows? By just talking very briefly to him?
    4. I stopped reading Ultimate Spider-Man after Gwen and May left Manhattan, can anyone please tell me why they returned? They left with new identities, to a new home in the end of Ultimate Fallout, and Gwen cut her hair short and dyed it black
    5. May is super strong, she slapped Peter and he fell on his back
    6. I wish Peter and Gwen talked about cloning and the death of Gwen
    7. I agree with Ultimate Nick about Tony not drinking being better, but imagine what he would say if he knew how Tony made many hate him during Civil War
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

I am re-reading Secret Wars 1 again.
    Quite a cool limited series.And the chapter in which Spider-Man defeats the x-men without much effort is great proof of how versatible Spider-Man powers are.
    And i am glad that Avengers vs X-Men had a moment as that classic scene as well,when Spider-Man defeats two of the Phoenix Five members.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

The Lizard story to follow EotE, and Alpha
    Dan Slott is awesome as a writer, I hope he lets the "Spidey doesn't give a dang anymore about villains" stick, doesn't let them die unless he has to choose between innocents and a villain

Free Comic Book Day The Amazing Spider-Man 2011
    I don't like how Spider-Woman shrugged Spidey's punch, first meeting between them had her startled how big a difference there is between them, he's stronger, faster. With his experience he should be able to see punches in front of him coming and avoid them
    The Kung Fu skill should stick, I want it to stick
    Blogger

I bought up some Silver Age comics in the past few months and have been making my way through them slowly. I think I've mentioned it in this thread before.

I got random issues from 60-200 trying to fill in as many gaps as I could. Two issues I got that I just read were 90 and 91. Like many of us, I have of course read issue 90 in reprints and collections a few times. It was neat to read the actual comics. It is weird how they were doing the half page adds during this period of the 70s.

One thing that I was unaware of was the story of the DA elections. I like the story and am a bit disappointed I didn't pick up 92 to see where this story goes. 91 ends with a cliffhanger with Bullit (I believe that was his name) and Gwen in Peter's apartment. Peter jumps in as Spider-Man not knowing they are there.

I read some earlier issues the other day with the Tablet. I've heard that is one of the best Spidey stories. I didn't get the complete run so I just read the first issue that introduces Robbie Robertson. That was kind of cool and seeing the protest was also a nice touch. I was surprised to see someone cal Peter "Whitey." With the drug issues and now protest and race issues they were really pushing the fold in Spider-Man.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Just read ASM 104. As I read more and more of the Gwen and Peter issues, I have to ask myself: How did Gwen not figure it out? She must have been the densest girl in the world. Here she is in the Savage Land and (spoiler) Spider-Man saves her.

Come join the club!

I'm still working through some back issues I bought. It is perfect for this rainy day in Maryland!

I just read 149-151. This marks the end of the first clone saga. I've never read these before either so this was fun. Conway really did a nice job with this entire run and developing Peter and MJ's relationship through it all.

The book is now leading into Ned and Betty's wedding which has been fun. Harry just got back from his Goblin therapy.

I'm loving Romita's run on the book too. I think the last issue he did Pencils with Andru, so solid book.

I'm only missing about ten issues or so to complete my run from 150-present! That is pretty exciting. When that is done I'll likely pull out 150-200 and re-read them in a straight shot. Now I'm reading with weird gaps in the story. Like I think I have 152 and 153 to read next, but then I have a gap to 156 or something. They might be downstairs, but I'm trying to get through my new back issues.

Anyone else ready any Spidey back issues recently? I was thinking about pulling out all of Slott's run in the next couple of days and re-reading up to 700 in a straight shot for fun.

Come join the club!

I read most of the new trades and summit like issue 665+ to get ready for superior and I loved it, i also enjoyed the FF one. +ChrisS, Thats what I did, go ahead its fun ;D
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

I picked up a couple of "Next Chapter" volumes from my local library. They're...not good. For every solid, fun idea, there's nonsense like the new Spider Woman, or Captain Power, or Hunger. But every time Venom showed up in PPSM was pretty cool. (I noticed that he's always smiling when drawn by JRJr, and I approve.)

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    I picked up a couple of "Next Chapter" volumes from my local library. They're...not good. For every solid, fun idea, there's nonsense like the new Spider Woman, or Captain Power, or Hunger. But every time Venom showed up in PPSM was pretty cool. (I noticed that he's always smiling when drawn by JRJr, and I approve.)
    All the random Venom appearances in that era were really odd. It also made Venom seem like a wimp. If I remember correctly, doesn't Spidey chase him off with a lighter.

Come join the club!

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Just read the TPB of Spider-man: Noir. I thought this series was excellent even if rushed a few things in certain areas (the origin and Peter's fight with Norman). Marvel needs to make this an ongoing series!

Next on my reading list is the Noir sequel 'Eyes Without a Face' as well as picking up where I left off in JMS' run on ASM. Wanna have #500 read for the first time before #700 comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    All the random Venom appearances in that era were really odd. It also made Venom seem like a wimp. If I remember correctly, doesn't Spidey chase him off with a lighter.
    Yes, but that was in a story that was specifically designed to be satire, so I don't take it too seriously. And while the outcome was rather mediocre, I appreciate what Mackie was trying to do with Venom: broaden his horizons as a character, and get him involved in feuds with people aside from Spider-Man. (At least, it seems like that's what he was doing.)

After a several month Hiatus, I have returned to reading my old issues.

Sicne last time, I've read....

Amazing 394-402
    Spectacular 217-224
    Web 117-124
    Spider-Man 51-58

Most of that was today, but some was a couple months ago. We're into the heart of the clone saga now......

1) It's hard jumping back in after three solid months of not reading it. Especially when reading Doc Ock stuff considering current issues. Espeically when everything is just one long story. And not in the normal Spider-Man is one long story sort of way.
    2) Overall impressions: This is f'ing stupid. Seriously. Normally I'd pick this apart piece by piece, but given I read about twenty books today and I'm getting back into things, I'll spare you this time. just an overall impression of stupidity here. Judas Traveler may have like the coolest name ever, but he has no place in a Spider-Man book. A shame, cause his motivation if done right could have made an interesting villain. Instead, it just comes off dumb. Like everythign else. I mean, Peter's characterization is just all over the damn place. Why is he mad at Ben again? I thought he got over his angst? Except when he's not over it? BAH.
    3) A shame, actually, because there are actually several cool moments and ideas throughout the clone saga. If some thought, effort, and planning had been put into this, I really think it could have been one of the best eras in Spider-Man. Instead, it's one of the worst.
    4) One example is Ben Reilly, which the Clone Saga does an excellent job (at least as far as I am) as making him just great. He's sympathetic, admirable, you want to root for him. He's easily the most likeable and entertaining character through this period.. Enough to make me think they might have been able to pull off the switcheroo if they did it better. But see above.
    5) It's also emphasized the benefit of reading the actual issues as opposed to summaries. I mean, I read Life of Reilly like a year and a half ago when I started reading the comics, and that gave me the general impression of how badly the clone saga went and stuff, so it's not likemy opinion has radically change. But the details and nuance are interesting to me, because whiel the Clone Saga was the victim of kinda dumb plots, the details being super dumb are what really pushes this into franchise-killing calibur material.
    6) 400 was ruined for me because i know it's a genetic actress. it was kinda sad still, I guess, but that knowledge just yanks the emotional rug out from under that story.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Web of Spider-Man v1 #044 + Incredible Hulk 349. Vegas: War Games
    First sit through the story was rubbish, this time around the story was pretty entertaining

Spider-Man 25
    I think it's a good story, nothing unusual, nothing crazy, pretty standard, but enjoyable
    Terry Kavanagh of that era can write good Spider-Man stories, and this is one of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    I read some earlier issues the other day with the Tablet. I've heard that is one of the best Spidey stories. I didn't get the complete run so I just read the first issue that introduces Robbie Robertson. That was kind of cool and seeing the protest was also a nice touch. I was surprised to see someone cal Peter "Whitey." With the drug issues and now protest and race issues they were really pushing the fold in Spider-Man.
    Them doing that -especially in that era- made Peter Parker feel pretty real as a character in a real community

Most of the rest in that era were mostly about the main guy trying to get the girl, and her feeling is mutual, both of them are bottled up, then the main guy goes in adventures, it's annoying to sit through them and see how low their quality is while Spider-Man has the best books in that era, something truly Amazing
    Blogger

Prelude to Death of Spider-Man. It was really good!
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.