Page 119 of 170 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2543

The Mayo Report on the New 52 sells charts and how sells have been over the course of the first year.

The Mayo Report: Marvel NOW! and DC Comics' New 52 Report Card
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    This kind of news makes me want the whole comic industry to just die.
    Why do you feel the need to post something so hateful?

Or am I misunderstanding what you meant?
    DC: ASW ● A. Man ● Batgirl ● Batman ● Batwoman ● BoP ● E2 ● Flash ● Dial H ● JLD ● Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Av ● C. Mar ● Hawkguy ● N.Av ● Thor ● W&XM
    Other: Saga ● Red Sonja

Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

Diamond published the overall 2012 results yesterday, as well as the Top 10 Comics and Graphic Novels for the year (here).

DC didn't have any books in the Top 10 Comics, and had two books in the Top 10 Graphic Novels; Batman Earth One at #3, and Court of Owls at #8.

But despite that, DC still had a fantastic year. Their unit sales increased by nearly 12% on 2011 (which was itself 12% better than 2010), and while they're still #2 in terms of units, the gap between DC and Marvel has closed significantly. In 2009, the gap was nearly 30%; in 2012 it was only 2%.

Think about that for a minute. In 2012, their largest rival published one of their most commercially appealing events, released the year's biggest grossing movies, recorded their own unit sales increase of 2.5%, AND relaunched a significant number of their line with some of the very best talent out there. And DC still closed the gap to just 2%. That's amazing in anyone's book!

If anyone's interested, the chart attached compares relative annual unit sales for the last 4 years. It doesn't have actual sales, but it shows how everyone sold relative to each other in any given year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annual Unit Sales - 2009 to 2012.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	106890
    My comic collection. Go on, have a look. You know you want to .

It gives me a somewhat sick feeling to see that 6/10 of the top selling comics last year were AvX. It makes me even more sick that I bought into that crap.

Shame on me.
    DC: ASW ● A. Man ● Batgirl ● Batman ● Batwoman ● BoP ● E2 ● Flash ● Dial H ● JLD ● Wonder Woman
    Marvel: Av ● C. Mar ● Hawkguy ● N.Av ● Thor ● W&XM
    Other: Saga ● Red Sonja

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liopleurodon View Post
    It gives me a somewhat sick feeling to see that 6/10 of the top selling comics last year were AvX. It makes me even more sick that I bought into that crap.

Shame on me.
    Yes shame on you!

In other news... I find it rather great news that DC gained all that ground in 2012 without a company wide event unlike over at Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    Yes shame on you!

In other news... I find it rather great news that DC gained all that ground in 2012 without a company wide event unlike over at Marvel.
    It's also pretty cool to see that the entire industry has had a boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    Yes shame on you!

They made up for it with relaunch waves, family crossovers and Before Watchmen. Just saying.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post

That is always a blessing.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    They made up for it with relaunch waves, family crossovers and Before Watchmen. Just saying.
    Relaunch Waves, at least, aren't a problem; I don't think they launched more books during the year than they historically would have, or Marvel might, in any given year. It's a sustainable model.

Family crossovers and Before Watchmen, not so much. I'm genuinely curious on what they plan to do to fill the "Before Watchmen" gap. Perhaps a big Vertigo push, but outside of the Gaiman mini I can't see anything selling particularly well there, in terms of the top 100. Or maybe they are just banking on the Before Watch collected editions.

....or more probably it's trinity war, which I forgot about (thanks to my profound ennui towards that event).
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Nova2814.1 - thanks for an excellent post. Also about The Avengers being a huge movie, its not surprising that it doesnt cross over into comic book sales because while many people like superheroes unfortunately the comics often dont receive a huge boost out of it. Also its good sales are up but I think the market will continue to contract over time. Its bound too, an aging fanbase, not getting the crossover effect, etc. Plus the cost is bound to increase too.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    No company wide events since summer 2011 unlike Marvel. Just saying. Now Marvel is not even waiting half a year till the next event. AvX ended in October and the Ultron event is debuting in March. I give DC credit for allowing DCnU room to breath before introducing big events.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    While sales are higher overall, I'm curious as to just how much of a boost the industry has really received. Frankly, a blanket analysis of these sales estimates can't reveal the true health of the industry because there are literally so many factors involved. Marvel had a big event in AVX but they've reduced the number of titles they put out drastically and double ship the heck out of what's left, DC on the other had no major events but had a mega mini-series in Before Watchmen which (despite some cynicism towards the project) sold really well.

Yes, events sell and clearly fans love them (we may not like them but its clear the general audience is still gobbling them up) but just how much of these direct market sales have been powered by variants and other sales gimmicks. Walking Dead 100 and Uncanny Avengers 1 sold those massive amount of copies because of variants and the big two (and some independents) have goosed up sales with variants and other gimmicks . Yes, Image has increased its market share but this is because Image has slowly (and quietly)increased the total number of books they put out (they also seem to have a new number 1 out virtually every month).

I realize that gains have been made particularly on the digital front where sales are still increasing but I'm increasingly curious about the direct market. Most books these days (outside of Batman and Justice League) can't even sell more than a 100,000 copies a month outside of the odd gimmick. Not to mention this phenomenon of standard attrition that seems to creep into every books sales no matter how good they are outside of the major event.

This year, Marvel is putting out Ultron War and DC is putting out Trinity War. If these two events sell huge (which I'm pretty sure they will) does this actually indicate strength in the direct market?
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

USERNAME TAKEN - great post! and I agree. Considering how huge the DCNU was, the amount of publicity and advertising of it on the web alone, it should have been much bigger than it actually was. Just look at the 90s before the bust. Books sold in their millions. These days people applaud and clap if a book sells 100,000 copies.

Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    USERNAME TAKEN - great post! and I agree. Considering how huge the DCNU was, the amount of publicity and advertising of it on the web alone, it should have been much bigger than it actually was. Just look at the 90s before the bust. Books sold in their millions. These days people applaud and clap if a book sells 100,000 copies.
    Books in the 90s sold in the millions because of the speculator boom, which was one of the main causes of the bust. Those aren't practices we want the industry to go back to.

Sales in the direct market aren't going to return to the days of when the average book would easily sell half a million. Prices have increased for one, and potential readers have many other forms of entertainment that they can consume. There are also more channels than before, between digital and the proliferation of trades and hardcovers in bookstores.

But even with all that, and the after effects of a global recession, we've seen the market served by Diamond US grow for the second year in a row. And 2012 saw everyone's sales increase, not just the Big Two. There's still a lot of work to do, but we shouldn't dminish the accomplishments to date either.
    My comic collection. Go on, have a look. You know you want to .

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    While sales are higher overall, I'm curious as to just how much of a boost the industry has really received. Frankly, a blanket analysis of these sales estimates can't reveal the true health of the industry because there are literally so many factors involved. Marvel had a big event in AVX but they've reduced the number of titles they put out drastically and double ship the heck out of what's left, DC on the other had no major events but had a mega mini-series in Before Watchmen which (despite some cynicism towards the project) sold really well.

Yes, events sell and clearly fans love them (we may not like them but its clear the general audience is still gobbling them up) but just how much of these direct market sales have been powered by variants and other sales gimmicks. Walking Dead 100 and Uncanny Avengers 1 sold those massive amount of copies because of variants and the big two (and some independents) have goosed up sales with variants and other gimmicks . Yes, Image has increased its market share but this is because Image has slowly (and quietly)increased the total number of books they put out (they also seem to have a new number 1 out virtually every month).

I realize that gains have been made particularly on the digital front where sales are still increasing but I'm increasingly curious about the direct market. Most books these days (outside of Batman and Justice League) can't even sell more than a 100,000 copies a month outside of the odd gimmick. Not to mention this phenomenon of standard attrition that seems to creep into every books sales no matter how good they are outside of the major event.

This year, Marvel is putting out Ultron War and DC is putting out Trinity War. If these two events sell huge (which I'm pretty sure they will) does this actually indicate strength in the direct market?
    Given that comics is a small niche market, anyway, I think DC is doing pretty well. Obviously not 90's good, but comics aren't going to reach those highs anymore. Especially, since DC and Marvel are relying on events/relaunching to boost sales. The comic industry has never been better, IMO. There is more diversity than ever.