Page 54 of 151 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Right so why are X-Men and Fantastic Four immune, since they're about superhero teams fighting the good fight? Oh, because they were all in one film to start with and not multiple solo films. Really, these things are all the same. Heroes coming together to fight a huge threat. In JLA's case, the wise course is to not have an alien invasion like Starro or the White Martians. You need to go with an Injustice League to be truly different. The only reason we didn't have that JLA film was due to it costing $400 million. After GL tanked with it's inflated budget and the problems that "Superman Returns" had with it, the trick is to find a way to make a $400 million epic for at least $180 to $200 million, without it biting them on the ass again.
    I think one JL film to start a new Shared universe is maybe the best option now, but I'm not sure. It's a pity after the Avengers, DC probably won't be able to use a Aliens or New Gods invasion. An injustice league would be hard to pull off.
    Pull list: Aquaman, Batman, Batman Inc, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman Unchained, JLA

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCzar View Post
    I'm not saying exclude Batman from a JL movie that would be a huge mistake by WB. And yes there are ways to make every character relatable, you just have to find the right writers and directors to find that angle. Batman may be the most realistic hero in the DCU but he's not very relatable, as a rich vigilante. but there are certain traits the character has that are relatable like being an orphan or seeking revenge for the loss of his loved ones.

Batman did punch Darkseid in the Superman/Batman series by Jeph Loeb & Michael Turner that's what I'm referencing. As I doubt Geoff Johns has much clout that his JL #1-6 would be a template for a JL movie. After the box office disappointment of GL, I doubt anyone besides Diane Nelson has much pull over creative decisions. I know your just guessing at DC using the recent JL series as a template for a JL movie, but I can't see it.

Geoff Johns doesn't have the pull in the film industry that he does in the comic world.

DC heroes are straight up super heroes, they are the stereotypical hero, they put on shinny costumes, impress with their God like power levels and beat the bad guys. Marvel heroes were created to have the problems of the common reader in the 60's when Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko and others were creating them. They hooked readers by giving Spider-Man girl and money problems, making the X-Men mutants who were feared for being different and Hulk being hunted for being a misunderstood monster. There is nothing wrong with either, as it is what sets Marvel and DC apart, well at least in the early days in the Silver Age it did. Now they are pretty much the same.

In the films DC should use a mixture of the large scope of the DCU and small character moments to make these omnipotent characters seem relatable. I agree with a lot of what you are saying I just think you are giving Geoff Johns a little too much credit for his influence on a potential JL movie.
    More than fair enough. We disagree on some key details and conclusions, but generally agree on the big picture.

Hopefully, we'll find out how much of our assessments are on the money this summer once TDKR and the MOS trailer hit. My fingers are crossed.

I remember reading an interview with David Goyer about the first Blade movie and how they had to beg borrow and practically steal to get money for Blade...New Line had it on a very tight leash
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Right so why are X-Men and Fantastic Four immune, since they're about superhero teams fighting the good fight? Oh, because they were all in one film to start with and not multiple solo films. Really, these things are all the same. Heroes coming together to fight a huge threat. In JLA's case, the wise course is to not have an alien invasion like Starro or the White Martians. You need to go with an Injustice League to be truly different. The only reason we didn't have that JLA film was due to it costing $400 million. After GL tanked with it's inflated budget and the problems that "Superman Returns" had with it, the trick is to find a way to make a $400 million epic for at least $180 to $200 million, without it biting them on the ass again.
    Well the X-Men & FF origins are all tied together in some way. Exposure to cosmic rays and we are all mutants everyone hates us so let's band together. But you are spot on with the budget requirements, or having a different hook with a JLA movie maybe Lex Luthor and a group of villains, or soemthing similiar but then you run the risk of having too many characters in one film and not enough screen time similiar to what ailed the X-Men films. So WB has a difficult task on their hands for a JLA movie.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I remember reading an interview with David Goyer about the first Blade movie and how they had to beg borrow and practically steal to get money for Blade...New Line had it on a very tight leash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCzar
    But you are spot on with the budget requirements, or having a different hook with a JLA movie maybe Lex Luthor and a group of villains, or soemthing similiar but then you run the risk of having too many characters in one film and not enough screen time similiar to what ailed the X-Men films. So WB has a difficult task on their hands for a JLA movie.
    Looks like most of us agree the budget for Justice League will be super-tight. It will be very interesting if Robinov and his team decide to take an incremental step first (Flash, GL2 or WW) or just jump right in and do JL outright.

Even with a very tight budget, it seems like a far riskier proposal to just rush into JL without at least setting things up with 1 or 2 movies first. If JL bombs, 7 DC characters end up in a bomb instead of 1 or 2.

I'm a Marvel fan and I would take The Nolan Batman movies over everything Marvel has ever done since Blade. I prefer that Warner take their time and do one great movie instead of rushing stuff to the screen to beat Marvel like that Green Lantern Ryan Reynolds stinker. I even would have prefered if they would have waited for a great director for Superman.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

DC has a brand issue. Non comic fans can only name 3-5 dc heroes.... while non comic fans can name almost 10 marvel characters lol. If they put out an aquaman movie, would anyone care for it? NBC axed that wonder woman show re launch lol. Perhaps dc should play up their strengths... Put out a 2d or 3d cartoon as a summer blockbuster on the big screen. The GL movie failed me once Hal's love interest found out he was GL lol. Now I wait for GL2........

Quote Originally Posted by pushav View Post
    DC has a brand issue. Non comic fans can only name 3-5 dc heroes.... while non comic fans can name almost 10 marvel characters lol.
    What is this based on?

I'm going to test my wife when I get home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylun123 View Post
    What is this based on?

I'm going to test my wife when I get home tonight.
    I'd tend to agree with him, Kylun.

This logo:

has appeared in front of over a dozen films.

This one?

Not nearly as much.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/the-...list-fandango/

Avengers tops Fandango "Must See List" and scores well with both men and women
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    I'd tend to agree with him, Kylun.
    Right, but if anything it's just a result of the movies, or maybe I misunderstood his original comment.

I thought he was saying Marvel is more popular because more non-comic fans can name Marvel characters than DC characters, but if that's just because Marvel has put out more successful movies than that doesn't prove the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylun123 View Post
    Right, but if anything it's just a result of the movies, or maybe I misunderstood his original comment...
    Yeah, people may know several Marvel characters now, after the movies have been released. But, Marvel didn't wait 'til people could name their characters before they released the movies. Sometimes businesses have to stir up demand, not wait for it to come to them.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

I think the rumored Superman/Batman team up movie would be a great way to introduce other DCU characters. Use their two most marketable characters to introduce the others.

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

Why not do a World's Finest movie first with Superman and Batman and use that as a gateway to the rest of the DCU? You could introduce Wonderwoman in the first and then Flash/GL/Aquaman for the next movie. Start with your more recognizable characters and expand from just Superman and Bats, to the Trinity till eventually you hit the whole JLA.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Why not do a World's Finest movie first with Superman and Batman and use that as a gateway to the rest of the DCU? You could introduce Wonderwoman in the first and then Flash/GL/Aquaman for the next movie. Start with your more recognizable characters and expand from just Superman and Bats, to the Trinity till eventually you hit the whole JLA.
    this! start with the 2 characters that the general public already knows and work off of that.