Page 3 of 151 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    It also didn't help that the number of visual effects was such that they had to outsource to other companies, in order to meet the deadline which ballooned the budget even further and thus making it even more difficult to get ahead.
    It is amazing how late in the process almost all CGI for big budget movies is completed. It is literally down to the wire oftentimes mere weeks before release. That's standard procedure for most big budget Hollywood films.

It may surprise people to hear this, but it is true. The production team and the executives supervising spend most of the time during which a movie is made sweating over the story and the acting; the special effects always come last. Given how many mediocre or outright bad movies are made every year, I'm sure it's hard to believe that. But seriously, the largest amount of time is spent trying to finesses dialogue and reshoot scenes that don't work. You'd think that with films heavy on FX that it would be reversed, but it really isn't. FX always come last in the process; plot and character always come first.

Of course, that inadvertently speaks volumes about how different executives and studios view issues of story and character all in wildly different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoninthewoods View Post
    Marvel has really put their character library out there while DC seems slow to do so.

We should have had films like The Flash ,Wonder Woman ,Aquaman ,and Justice League out long before now.

Come on DC if Marvel has a film out then you should have a film out.
    DC characters are harder to translate on film. We probably wont see a good DC film outside of Bat and Supes for a very long time.

But the new movies coming out of the Marvel house just shows how great Stan(and very one else involved) was at constructing the MU.

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    DC characters are harder to translate on film. We probably wont see a good DC film outside of Bat and Supes for a very long time.

But the new movies coming out of the Marvel house just shows how great Stan(and very one else involved) was at constructing the MU.
    I don't see how a kooky concept like Thor is harder to translate to film than Wonder Woman or Green Lantern.
    You think James Cameron gave up because some suit told him Avatar was gonna be hard to make? The guy made a fake Aquaman movie that resonated throughout pop culture. The Nolan Batman franchise already stands as a testament that when the right talent is on the project, it can transcend the medium. And let's be honest, The Dark Knight is better than anything Marvel has put up on the big screen, Iron Man included.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

I thought DC was doing okay honestly on the movie front. The Batman movies are hailed as some of the greatest films of all time. Those films seem to cover DC quite well I think.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk_Is View Post
    I thought DC was doing okay honestly on the movie front. The Batman movies are hailed as some of the greatest films of all time. Those films seem to cover DC quite well I think.
    And one them won somebody an Oscar for his performance, I believe.

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    I don't see how a kooky concept like Thor is harder to translate to film than Wonder Woman or Green Lantern.
    You think James Cameron gave up because some suit told him Avatar was gonna be hard to make? The guy made a fake Aquaman movie that resonated throughout pop culture. The Nolan Batman franchise already stands as a testament that when the right talent is on the project, it can transcend the medium. And let's be honest, The Dark Knight is better than anything Marvel has put up on the big screen, Iron Man included.
    One movie compared to how many now? Several Marvel movies did better in the box office than Batman Begins did on their first film. On top of that Marvel continues to successfully promote more than one character in their stable which happens to be more important in keeping the company on an upward slope.

edit:
    Wait I didn't even post to start a Marvel vs DC war. Why are you even attacking my post? It's not my fault DC can't put out a good non Bat or Superman film.

Well, the thing about Thor is that people generally know he exsists in mythology as a god. He also has a long, flowing mane of blonde hair so he's good to look at for some people.

When outsiders usually think of WW they think of the Lynda Carter show. And, if you were to show her on the big screen in her mythological tone it's going to throw alot of people off, but I'm also not saying they shouldn't go that route either. Many folks didn't know who GL was before the movie and he's not as swoon-worthy nor as exotic as Thor. Just my two cents.

And one them won somebody an Oscar for his performance, I believe.
    That's another example to me of why DC doesn't necessarily have to be as expediant as Marvel on the film front. Marvel are actually the ones lagging behind. I'm not saying that they have to garner an Oscar for their films, but the Superman and Batman films have been in peoples consciousness for decades and some are classics.
    Last edited by Hulk_Is; 03-08-2012 at 03:23 PM.

That's another example to me of why DC doesn't necessarily have to be as expediant as Marvel on the film front. Marvel are actully the ones lagging behind. I'm not saying that they have to garner an Oscar for their films, but the Superman and Batman films have been in peoples conscioussness for decades and some are classics.
    If Marvel are lagging behind, it's only in that they've been at it for a shorter period of time than DC. But for name recognition, they're doing a good job of getting their stable out their and recognized by the general public. Spider-Man, Iron Man, Wolverine, the X-Men, the Hulk are all generally recognized, and films have gotten higher recognition for the Fantastic Four and, recently, Thor and Captain America. I'd say while DC has entrenched Superman and Batman, Marvel is doing better with its crop of films, both from its own studio and others, at gaining mainstream recognition of a wider array of its character. As far as create award-winning films, well, perhaps that will come, but I'm sure they're happy just having a large number of successful films at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger1701 View Post
    If Marvel are lagging behind, it's only in that they've been at it for a shorter period of time than DC. But for name recognition, they're doing a good job of getting their stable out their and recognized by the general public. Spider-Man, Iron Man, Wolverine, the X-Men, the Hulk are all generally recognized, and films have gotten higher recognition for the Fantastic Four and, recently, Thor and Captain America. I'd say while DC has entrenched Superman and Batman, Marvel is doing better with its crop of films, both from its own studio and others, at gaining mainstream recognition of a wider array of its character. As far as create award-winning films, well, perhaps that will come, but I'm sure they're happy just having a large number of successful films at this point.
    The bolded part is pretty much what I was getting at. I do agree with the rest of your post too though.

Some of the reason DC struggles with most of their films-

1) Who is wearing the mask or costume? A generation of kids that don't read comics only know John Stewart as Green Lantern. The rest of us know Alan Scott, Hal, Guy and the rest. So when you do a GL movie and a kid sees Hal instead of John-some are going think racism and others are not going to be interested. Same mess with Blue Beetle, Firestorm, Dr. Light and others.

One thing Marvel does is make sure anything that is done reflects the original product in some form. We have not seen the other versions of the Fantastic Four. James Rhodey has never been Iron Man in the movies or in the cartoons.

2) Links to other heroes. Too many heroes are linked to others. Can you do a Nightwing film without mentioning Batman? Teen Titians film (we saw it in the cartoon)? We saw the failure of Catwoman and Steel in that aspect.

3) It won't hurt them to introduce a guy before trying a film. What was Jonah Hex seen in with a big part before that film outside of comics?

4) You don't need a big budget to do a film. There are properties DC can do that might cost below $50 million. Not every DC property needs to be on the big screen. Would a Huntress film aired on Lifetime cost that much? Vixen? The Question? Mr. Terrific (not the current version)? Spectre? Star Girl? Booster Gold? Fire & Ice? Plastic Man?

5) Bad casting-don't go for who's hot at the moment. Get the best person for the role (Shaq, Halle Berry, Ryan Reynolds, The Govenator).

There are enough lower level properties that can be done as film that would at least show DC is more than the big 4-7.

That's another example to me of why DC doesn't necessarily have to be as expediant as Marvel on the film front. Marvel are actually the ones lagging behind. I'm not saying that they have to garner an Oscar for their films, but the Superman and Batman films have been in peoples consciousness for decades and some are classics.
    You really don't think that some of Marvel's films wont become a classic? Besides DC has an entire universe of characters they can't just rely on Batman and Superman. Marvel takes the risk with their characters. Some are good some are bad but at least they try. I mean nobody was expecting much from Iron man but it turned out to be a hit. I mean Flash and WW should of had a film by now.

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    One movie compared to how many now? Several Marvel movies did better in the box office than Batman Begins did on their first film.
    So? I'm willing to bet that the majority of viewers would say Batman Begins was better than Blade 3, X-Men 3, Spider-Man 3, Daredevil, Elektra, Hulk, and both Fantastic Four movies.
    See what I did there?

On top of that Marvel continues to successfully promote more than one character in their stable which happens to be more important in keeping the company on an upward slope.
    And yet Batman is considered the best comic book character of all time, and headlines a movie that is far and away considered the best cbm of all time. When you sort through the rubble of Marvel films do any of them really compare to The Dark Knight?
    And let's not forget that DC has had other movies out from various imprints such as Vertigo (Constantine, Red) and Paradox Press (Road to Perdition, A History of Violence). And then, of course, were the Watchmen and V for Vendetta films.

edit:
    Wait I didn't even post to start a Marvel vs DC war. Why are you even attacking my post? It's not my fault DC can't put out a good non Bat or Superman film.
    I'm not attacking your post, but responding to it. Get over yourself, already.

Oscar Wilde

Well, the thing about Thor is that people generally know he exsists in mythology as a god. He also has a long, flowing mane of blonde hair so he's good to look at for some people.
    That's not the point. The concept of Marvel's Thor is kooky and they pointed that out in the movie when the guards referred to the Warriors 3 as Xena, Jackie Chan, and their Mayfair friends.

When outsiders usually think of WW they think of the Lynda Carter show. And, if you were to show her on the big screen in her mythological tone it's going to throw alot of people off, but I'm also not saying they shouldn't go that route either.
    That doesn't make any sense especially given the popularity of movies/books like Clash of the Titans, Immortals, and Percy Jackson. You'd have to be thick in the head if WW is harder to follow than Harry Potter.

Many folks didn't know who GL was before the movie and he's not as swoon-worthy nor as exotic as Thor. Just my two cents.
    Actually, they did know who he was thanks to the JLU cartoon.

Oscar Wilde

Many folks didn't know who GL was before the movie and he's not as swoon-worthy nor as exotic as Thor. Just my two cents.
    Actually, they did know who he was thanks to the JLU cartoon.
    Uh, how many non-comic book people (without kids asking for Happy Meal toys) do you think even saw Justice League Unlimited? Is Cartoon Network one of those hot cable channels among typical adults?