• Do not make her a copy of Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    The problem with WW is:
    • her costume, she would have to wear a skirt or pants
    • I do not want her to be sexualized
    • GET AN ACTRESS THAT CAN ACT, NOT A MODEL
    • Strife!
    I actually think that the Clash of the Titans type of movie for her could work very well, you can always then transition that to the modern world using whatever device you want like magic, time travel, etc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    I actually think that the Clash of the Titans type of movie for her could work very well, you can always then transition that to the modern world using whatever device you want like magic, time travel, etc.
    Clash of the Titans, 300, etc though were bad movies though

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    Again didn't say anything was wrong with the concept. It's more of the insane power levels and the almost unchangeable costumes that work against DC characters. I mean look at how GL turned out on film. The studio wanted to make the costume workable/believe able and still really failed at making it look cool. DC big seven could really use a more modern costume design to make them fit better on screen. Yeah DC did just finish changing their looks but overall they look pretty much the same, which doesn't really help translation at all.

All that can be worked around sure. But it's still tough to do it and not alienate the fan base.
    I would hardly say that DC's heroes are any more powerful than Marvel's. That is just a pure stereotype. The only DC hero that is substantially more powerful than any major Marvel character is Superman. And look, Superman has had several movies (the ones from 1978 and 1980 are among some of the most classic examples of superhero fiction) and he's getting a new one. Wonder Woman is about as strong as Thor. Give her an enemy that can provide her a sufficient challenge, the same way they did with Loki and your good. I'd structure it somewhat similarly to how they did in her animated movie, with Ares as the villain and some obvious plot tweaks. However, Circe, Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Psycho (pretty much any one of her more well known enemies) are all good choices.

Flash is not overpowered in any sense: he's a speedster. If that's overpowered for you, then you should definitely have a problem with Quicksilver being in the X-Men movies. Its possible, obviously, to adapt a speedster into a movie.

And besides, it doesn't matter their powers, all that really matters is storytelling and plot. And believe it or not, not every Marvel movie is a home run when it comes to actual character development and plot. Captain America, in my opinion, shined in some parts but was horribly mediocre in others. They devoted to much time to the romance between Sharon and Steve while the entire thing was doomed from the start. Marvel movies are good at big, emotional moments, but on other aspects they tend to fall flat.
    Last edited by Zeeguy91; 03-08-2012 at 10:14 PM.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    They ARE trying, they're just failing miserably.

Green Lantern was their honest attempt at doing "Iron Man". But it...didn't work. And the reception of properties like Green Lantern and Jonah Hex is naturally going to put them off to doing their lesser known characters (anyone not Superman and Batman, basically).

They just have made some very myopic choices in regards to creators for their films. The writers of the GL movie should never have been able to get off the ground with a resume whose highlight was "Everwood".
    It really is as straightforward as that.

Quote Originally Posted by squashmaster View Post
    Don't be so hasty.

Some of us believe that Marvel's massive movie push is having terrible adverse effects on its comic line. That is, over half of the books they publish are just X-Men or Avengers books.
    I haven't read the whole thread- just quoting this for truth

One could ask about Marvel- when are they going to start putting out comics from their vast library of characters like DC is doing?

Or when will Marvel have a TV series that lasts for 10 years like Smallville?

And I still argue Pixar's "The Incredibles" was a better Fantastic Four movie than either F4 film.
    So I don't think animation limits a comic book film. Animation is a medium, not a genre.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 03-08-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Somewhere between Earth 2 Seaside Heights & Earth 616 Surf City

I think DC should just try to compete first.
    To paint comic books as childish and illiterate is lazy. A lot of comic books are very literate - unlike most films.
    Somewhere on an alternate earth Captain America is a member of the JSA

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread- just quoting this for truth

One could ask about Marvel- when are they going to start putting out comics from their vast library of characters like DC is doing?

Or when will Marvel have a TV series that lasts for 10 years like Smallville?
    The longest lasting Marvel TV series is probably the 90's tv show, which lasted 5 years and as for one who recently watched it all on youtube recently, it was pretty awful.

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

I will say that the best superhero movie, ever, bar none, is the Incredibles, despite characters not caring about mooks dying and characters, particularly power sets, being purely rip offs. Apart from Mr Incredible really, who has just super strength and nothing else, IIRC.

Batman works on screen, Superman can work on screen, and the DC animated series are awesome. I think mayhaps DC should concentrate on keeping winning on animated shows,and maybe get a few live action shows building a shared verse. I think a Batman and family and GCPD tv show, akin to a HBO show would be epic. More time to develop a verse than a 90 minute movie every year or 3.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

If you honestly think a non-comic audience or any actor worth a damn would enjoy wearing/seeing this version of the costume on screen in todays world then you are out of touch with reality.
    Yeah, that's why thousands of women don't squeeze into this costume every year. That's why the country didn't have a discussion about the change of the costume for NBC's WW tv show. A majority of actresses want to squeeze into that bustier.

I honestly thought they should have left Wonder Woman's pants on her or put her in a warrior skirt like Xena to help better if a transition was made.
    Well, they didn't because WW's look is iconic and it generates millions as a licensed property.

There aren't many woman who can pull off a one piece bathing suit in a two hour flick.
    Of course there are. The question is can they act?
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    Batman works on screen, Superman can work on screen, and the DC animated series are awesome. I think mayhaps DC should concentrate on keeping winning on animated shows,and maybe get a few live action shows building a shared verse.
    Wow, something just occurred to me. DC has already done the shared universe bit on television. Batman, Superman, Justice League, and JLU (and all the movies in-between) are all one shared universe. So, DC has an animated universe on TV while Marvel has a live action one in the theaters.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I would hardly say that DC's heroes are any more powerful than Marvel's. That is just a pure stereotype. The only DC hero that is substantially more powerful than any major Marvel character is Superman. And look, Superman has had several movies (the ones from 1978 and 1980 are among some of the most classic examples of superhero fiction) and he's getting a new one. Wonder Woman is about as strong as Thor. Give her an enemy that can provide her a sufficient challenge, the same way they did with Loki and your good. I'd structure it somewhat similarly to how they did in her animated movie, with Ares as the villain and some obvious plot tweaks. However, Circe, Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Psycho (pretty much any one of her more well known enemies) are all good choices.

Flash is not overpowered in any sense: he's a speedster. If that's overpowered for you, then you should definitely have a problem with Quicksilver being in the X-Men movies. Its possible, obviously, to adapt a speedster into a movie.

And besides, it doesn't matter their powers, all that really matters is storytelling and plot. And believe it or not, not every Marvel movie is a home run when it comes to actual character development and plot. Captain America, in my opinion, shined in some parts but was horribly mediocre in others. They devoted to much time to the romance between Sharon and Steve while the entire thing was doomed from the start. Marvel movies are good at big, emotional moments, but on other aspects they tend to fall flat.
    Almost agree with you, but in general, DC is more powerful than Marvel. And comparing Flash and Quicksilver is insane. Flash has reached faster than light, while Quicksilver is much slower. Flash has the Speed Force, which grants him many abilities. He's just not a speedster.

Now, Marvel just did THOR, who is one of the most powerful heroes today. He was toned down for the movie and I see DC doing similar things with their heroes. If Marvel can do Thor, I see no reason why DC can't do Flash or Wonder Woman.

On paper they're not necessarily tough concepts (although Wonder Woman seems to have problems even in comics with bringing in a larger demographic) as they have endured the test of time for the most part. But the studios unfortunately seem very hesitant and puzzled as to how to sell/market them to the movie going audience. I'm sure that with the right talent a great Flash or Wonder Woman movie can be made but given DC's venture with Green Lantern being a disappointment to them they seem scared to invest in these other potentially successful characters. I think they just need a better sense of connection between the studios and the comic guys the way Marvel has such good reign on their movies with their own creative committee and they should be a little more risky with trying to get their other characters out there for people to check out.

A movie like say Hulk might have failed but Marvel still forged on and did more movies, they didn't pull back and just rely on their go to superheroes. Heck they rebooted Hulk! Did it break box office records? No, but it did contribute to the bigger picture better by re-establishing the character and attracting the audience who dig the Hulk.
    Yep! Marvel didnt get scared and pushed on!

Quote Originally Posted by sethysquare View Post
    That is the furthest thing from the truth. How is Wonder Woman or Flash a tough concept? How is Teen Titans a tough concept? Superman is the toughest concept to adapt tp film amongst all of these other characters.
    The only one with a tough concept is Aquaman.
    That is a very sweeping statement. No one is denying that Marvel is doing well at the movies, but to trash DC like that you've got to be that biased and in self-denial.
    If you're just here to trash DC please leave. Or we can do the same over at the marvel boards.
    DC certainly wont take the risk to adapt these films when they even screw up sure things like Superman and GL. They have no idea what they're doing.
    I actually think it's a little overrated at this point and prefer Batman Begins to it.
    Me too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    A movie about a kid who finds out he's the prince of a mythic, underwater civilization. That practically writes itself for a movie.
    Give it to James Cameron and he'll make it a masterpiece! He was born for this sort of stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I would hardly say that DC's heroes are any more powerful than Marvel's. That is just a pure stereotype.
    Your right on this account. I should of said DC most popular heroes tend to be more powerful than Marvels most popular. Even still I stand by my statement that it will be a long time before we see a DC hero outside of Batman and Superman for several of the reason myself and others have mentioned here. If you guys wanna get fuzzy about that send in complaints to DC and WB. Probably wont help at all but at least the anger is pointed in the right place.

If you honestly think a non-comic audience or any actor worth a damn would enjoy wearing/seeing this version of the costume on screen in todays world then you are out of touch with reality.

edit:
    I honestly thought they should have left Wonder Woman's pants on her or put her in a warrior skirt like Xena to help better if a transition was made. There aren't many woman who can pull off a one piece bathing suit in a two hour flick.
    I was surprised to see that the underpants worked just fine in live action, and if they adapt the less colourful and more stylistically correct new 52 suit, she'll look even better. But if the underpants still dont work, they can easily give her a pair of pants and fix it.

Bellow are pics from the WW pilot. Cheaply made, but not too bad considering.

The problem with WW is:
    • her costume, she would have to wear a skirt or pants
    • I do not want her to be sexualized
    • GET AN ACTRESS THAT CAN ACT, NOT A MODEL
    • Strife!
    Azzarello's book is begging to be adapted!
    Clash of the Titans, 300, etc though were bad movies though
    Yes but they sold well and that's all that matters to WB. So why not make a WW one?