Page 5 of 151 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    DC characters are harder to translate on film. We probably wont see a good DC film outside of Bat and Supes for a very long time.

But the new movies coming out of the Marvel house just shows how great Stan(and very one else involved) was at constructing the MU.
    That is the furthest thing from the truth. How is Wonder Woman or Flash a tough concept? How is Teen Titans a tough concept? Superman is the toughest concept to adapt tp film amongst all of these other characters.
    The only one with a tough concept is Aquaman.
    That is a very sweeping statement. No one is denying that Marvel is doing well at the movies, but to trash DC like that you've got to be that biased and in self-denial.
    If you're just here to trash DC please leave. Or we can do the same over at the marvel boards.
    Last edited by sethysquare; 03-08-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Well when you compare their one well kept franchise to a bunch of iffy to disappointing sequels sure, but Marvel still has a solid range of good movies that outnumber *1* solitary franchise. I enjoyed all of the Nolan Batman films but that's still just one well kept franchise vs a bunch of other Marvel ones that are equally well handled (Spider-Man 1 & 2, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Incredible Hulk, Blade 1 & 2, X-Men First Class, X-Men, X2). Are they all perfect? No, but they're pretty well regarded and show a bigger range of diversity in characters.
    Exactly. This isn't Marvel vs DC movie match but if it were Marvel has been pumping out some pretty solid films and most of them weren't even from their studios. Actual comic fans are harder on the Fox/Sony/Paramount Marvel films than regular movie goers are. To some the trilogy to the films listed were actually their favorites in the whole series. But besides that point at least all those films made it that far.

I mean really how many of us thought there would actually be a Blade film? Let alone 3 of them.

You're veering into a subjective area but I'll tell you this, I enjoyed the Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor's first films just as much as I would a Dark Knight and there's nothing wrong with that. I initially loved Dark Knight but with every new viewing it does lose it's luster, feels a little more bloated than it should, and the movie was far from flawless. I actually think it's a little overrated at this point and prefer Batman Begins to it.

DC's other films in the Vertigo area are well enough films but they're pretty separate ventures from the JLA family of titles that at this point should be way more developed and gotten more attention than it has so far. At best DC can hope for a GL reboot and start knitting their JLA franchises together into their DCU film universe piecemeal.
    Couldn't have said any better. Totally agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sethysquare View Post
    That is the furthest thing from the truth. How is Wonder Woman or Flash a tough concept? How is Teen Titans a tough concept? Superman is the toughest concept to adapt tp film amongst all of these other characters.
    The only one with a tough concept is Aquaman.
    That is a very sweeping statement. No one is denying that Marvel is doing well at the movies, but to trash DC like that you've got to be that biased and in self-denial.
    If you're just here to trash DC please leave.
    I never said that DC characters had a bad concept. I just said they are hard to translate to film. Not impossible, just hard. Why get over worked over that?

T Or we can do the same over at the marvel boards.
    Have you been to the Marvel boards? Because DC fans do that all the time and I'm not even here for that.

BANNED

Here is a list of Good Movies from Marvel Property:
    • Hulk (2008)
    • Captain America
    • Thor
    • Spider-Man
    • Spider-Man 2
    • Iron Man
    • Iron Man 2

Here is a list of Good from DC Property:
    • Superman
    • Superman 2
    • Batman Begins
    • Dark Knight
    Last edited by Reginleif; 03-08-2012 at 07:48 PM.

I never said that DC characters had a bad concept. I just said they are hard to translate to film. Not impossible, just hard. Why get over worked over that?
    I don't see how Flash and Wonder Woman is a tough concept. A speedster, an amazon. Hell, both of them got TV adaptations. Why can't they do a film adaptation. I dont seee how tough that is.
    Also Teen Titans is about as tough a concept as x-men.
    Like I said, the only one with a tough concept is Aquaman, but with a little tweak its possible.

Have you been to the Marvel boards? Because DC fans do that all the time and I'm not even here for that.
    So this is you MO.

I don't see how Flash and Wonder Woman is a tough concept. A speedster, an amazon. Hell, both of them got TV adaptations. Why can't they do a film adaptation. I dont seee how tough that is.
    Like I said, the only one with a tough concept is Aquaman, but with a little tweak its possible.
    Again didn't say anything was wrong with the concept. It's more of the insane power levels and the almost unchangeable costumes that work against DC characters. I mean look at how GL turned out on film. The studio wanted to make the costume workable/believe able and still really failed at making it look cool. DC big seven could really use a more modern costume design to make them fit better on screen. Yeah DC did just finish changing their looks but overall they look pretty much the same, which doesn't really help translation at all.

All that can be worked around sure. But it's still tough to do it and not alienate the fan base.

BANNED

So this is you MO.
    The only hard thing about Aquaman is perhaps the budget for Atlantis underwater. But otherwise, that's the origin movie for Aquaman is pretty much the classic hero archetype. Should be easy to adapt.

Again didn't say anything was wrong with the concept. It's more of the insane power levels
    Flash and Wonder Woman are both not overpowered any longer.

and the almost unchangeable costumes that work against DC characters.

DC big seven could really use a more modern costume design to make them fit better on screen. Yeah DC did just finish changing their looks but overall they look pretty much the same, which doesn't really help translation at all.

All that can be worked around sure. But it's still tough to do it and not alienate the fan base.
    Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    The only hard thing about Aquaman is perhaps the budget for Atlantis underwater. But otherwise, that's the origin movie for Aquaman is pretty much the classic hero archetype. Should be easy to adapt.
    Maybe they could even reuse stock footage from old shows like Man From Atlantis, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and Seaquest: Don't Set VCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    That is pretty true. But should they do it in a way such that Atlantis is in a bubble, then that is pretty easy as well. If they go along the lines where Aquaman lives in a lighthouse like how it is now, its also pretty easy. But its probably the toughest amongst the big 7.

On paper they're not necessarily tough concepts (although Wonder Woman seems to have problems even in comics with bringing in a larger demographic) as they have endured the test of time for the most part. But the studios unfortunately seem very hesitant and puzzled as to how to sell/market them to the movie going audience. I'm sure that with the right talent a great Flash or Wonder Woman movie can be made but given DC's venture with Green Lantern being a disappointment to them they seem scared to invest in these other potentially successful characters. I think they just need a better sense of connection between the studios and the comic guys the way Marvel has such good reign on their movies with their own creative committee and they should be a little more risky with trying to get their other characters out there for people to check out.

A movie like say Hulk might have failed but Marvel still forged on and did more movies, they didn't pull back and just rely on their go to superheroes. Heck they rebooted Hulk! Did it break box office records? No, but it did contribute to the bigger picture better by re-establishing the character and attracting the audience who dig the Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe they could even reuse stock footage from old shows like Man From Atlantis, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and Seaquest: Don't Set VCR.
    LOL. you kidding right?

On paper they're not necessarily tough concepts (although Wonder Woman seems to have problems even in comics with bringing in a larger demographic) as they have endured the test of time for the most part. But the studios unfortunately seem very hesitant and puzzled as to how to sell/market them to the movie going audience. I'm sure that with the right talent a great Flash or Wonder Woman movie can be made but given DC's venture with Green Lantern being a disappointment to them they seem scared to invest in these other potentially successful characters. I think they just need a better sense of connection between the studios and the comic guys the way Marvel has such good reign on their movies with their own creative committee and they should be a little more risky with trying to get their other characters out there for people to check out.

A movie like say Hulk might have failed but Marvel still forged on and did more movies, they didn't pull back and just rely on their go to superheroes. Heck they rebooted Hulk! Did it break box office records? No, but it did contribute to the bigger picture better by re-establishing the character and attracting the audience who dig the Hulk.
    Like I said, its not so much that they are tough concept. Teen Titans is a fairly easy concept as well. The problem isn't with the characters, it is that WB has been very hesitant about trying out new Superhero movies. There were plans for a Justice League movies with Armie Hammer as Batman, he even tried the costume. Nicholas Cage as Superman. But the studio have shelved it time and again.

Im gonna say it again that these characters aren't necessarily tough concept, its a problem between the synergy of DC and WB. But one can hope that it'll change with the formation of DCE lead by Diane Nelson reporting straight to Jeff Robinov. Also no one is saying that marvel characters aren't successful financially when translated to film.

Its just extremely biased to call out on these characters calling them tough concept just cos the studios aren't willing to take chances on them.

BANNED

A movie about a kid who finds out he's the prince of a mythic, underwater civilization. That practically writes itself for a movie.

Flash and Wonder Woman are both not overpowered any longer.

If you honestly think a non-comic audience or any actor worth a damn would enjoy wearing/seeing this version of the costume on screen in todays world then you are out of touch with reality.

edit:
    I honestly thought they should have left Wonder Woman's pants on her or put her in a warrior skirt like Xena to help better if a transition was made. There aren't many woman who can pull off a one piece bathing suit in a two hour flick.
    Last edited by NamorsTrident; 03-08-2012 at 08:50 PM.