Page 1 of 151 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Is DC even going to try to compete with Marvel on the big screen?

Marvel has really put their character library out there while DC seems slow to do so.

We should have had films like The Flash ,Wonder Woman ,Aquaman ,and Justice League out long before now.

Come on DC if Marvel has a film out then you should have a film out.
    Last edited by Jasoninthewoods; 03-08-2012 at 10:00 AM.

sure doesnt seem like it, which is a damn shame...there really should have been a justice league movie by now...

Its too depressing to talk about it.
    On the other hand we have got the best animated movies ever. I just finished watching Under the Red Hood for the 4th time and it is still perfect.

They ARE trying, they're just failing miserably.

Green Lantern was their honest attempt at doing "Iron Man". But it...didn't work. And the reception of properties like Green Lantern and Jonah Hex is naturally going to put them off to doing their lesser known characters (anyone not Superman and Batman, basically).

They just have made some very myopic choices in regards to creators for their films. The writers of the GL movie should never have been able to get off the ground with a resume whose highlight was "Everwood".
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

BANNED

DC Comics > Marvel Comics
    DC Animated TV Shows >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marvel TV Shows
    DC Animated Movies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marvel Animated Movies
    DC Movies < Marvel Movies

Why does this seem like a thread we had not that long ago?

And personally, I'd rather have better comic books than get mediocre books with halfway decent movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    DC Comics > Marvel Comics
    DC Animated TV Shows >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marvel TV Shows
    DC Animated Movies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Marvel Animated Movies
    DC Movies < Marvel Movies
    :( I think Diane Nelson will fix it. She can build up a Harry Potter franchise and made billions of profits. She joined DC entertainment only after GL was green lighted. I'm sure she'll make GL 2 much much better than GL, which is pretty okay, just not perfect.

I think I'm the only one who actually likes the GL film. I didn't really care for it at first, but after a second viewing I started to like it more and have now probably watched it 4-5 times total which I was not expecting to do when I bought it. I really wish DC would get a kick ass director like Matthew Vaughn (pun intended), someone who really knows how to put out an action film and keep it within budget. Xmen First Class is probably my favorite comic film so far, and Kick-Ass was so good especially considering the budget he had to work with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sethysquare View Post
    :( I think Diane Nelson will fix it. She can build up a Harry Potter franchise and made billions of profits. She joined DC entertainment only after GL was green lighted. I'm sure she'll make GL 2 much much better than GL, which is pretty okay, just not perfect.
    It is upsetting too, because movies are the most important medium in transmitting a franchise to the public. Marvel has never produced a good animated movie, and their television series, especially the early early 90's stuff are horrible! That recent Spider-man series was the best tv show made with Marvel properties and it was produced by Sony!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by speedline View Post
    I think I'm the only one who actually likes the GL film. I didn't really care for it at first, but after a second viewing I started to like it more and have now probably watched it 4-5 times total which I was not expecting to do when I bought it. I really wish DC would get a kick ass director like Matthew Vaughn (pun intended), someone who really knows how to put out an action film and keep it within budget. Xmen First Class is probably my favorite comic film so far, and Kick-Ass was so good especially considering the budget he had to work with.
    I liked it, but I understand it was not well received. The movie primarily suffered from poor, poor editing if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoninthewoods View Post
    Marvel has really put their character library out there while DC seems slow to do so.

We should have had films like The Flash ,Wonder Woman ,Aquaman ,and Justice League out long before now.

Come on DC if Marvel has a film out then you should have a film out.
    Both DC and Marvel have put out more than a few bad movies over the years. I would rather see quality than quantity from them. I'm glad that somebody had the good sense to pull the plug on both the Wonder Woman movie and the tv show when they didn't look like they were going to turn out well. And I don't see why superhero movies need to be live-action. The comic books aren't a bunch of photographs with word balloons.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Both DC and Marvel have put out more than a few bad movies over the years. I would rather see quality than quantity from them. I'm glad that somebody had the good sense to pull the plug on both the Wonder Woman movie and the tv show when they didn't look like they were going to turn out well. And I don't see why superhero movies need to be live-action. The comic books aren't a bunch of photographs with word balloons.
    Superhero movies need to be live action to get the respect of the general, non-comic book reading audience.

They may be more likely to dismiss animated movies as just "cartoons for kids".

Don't be so hasty.

Some of us believe that Marvel's massive movie push is having terrible adverse effects on its comic line. That is, over half of the books they publish are just X-Men or Avengers books.

Quote Originally Posted by speedline View Post
    I liked it as well. I just felt sad that its not a financial success. It broke even, just didn't earn enough to guarantee a sequel.

I love Marvel for how they're going about it. On the one hand Avengers has "awesome" written all over it with great action, Hulk catching Ironman, Ironman getting out of his armor as he is walking on his skyscraper loft, etc. But at the same time i can see that its not shallow and stupid. They're working on the characters, their personal stuff, the relationships between them, etc. And all this comes as a culmination of everywthing we've got so far.

I love what Nolan is doing for Batman and i dont want to start a Marvel vs DC war, but i cant help but feel sort of jealous that my favourite DC heroes arent getting the marvel treatment. Are their movies deep like TDK? No, but they're solid and safe and very entertaining, without big screwups. They embrace the comicbookiness of their franchises and bring them to life. They stick to the tone, the characters, the whole look of their world and dont mess around with it. "What if Batman was realistic", "what if Superman was Ed Scissorhands" (damn it Burton), "what if GL was Jack Black", etc. They dont hand out their franchises to random directors to do their thing, they take care of them and oversee their development. DCE did that with GL and it was faithful to the atmosphere, look and feel of the GL books but they missed the part where the script and CGI were bad.

And so all of Marvel's movies converge in the Avengers. A movie universe! No "batman is all serious and realistic you guys, he's alone in the universe, leave him alone" shenanigans. Sometimes i just curse Nolan for his seriousness, pseudorealism and his "no other superheroes" rules. His batsuits are also atrocious.

A Marvel movie fan can jump right into their comics and feel at home, but just walk up to any Nolan fan and utter the words "Robin", "JL", or "other superheroes" and he's gonna roll his eyes.

I hope DCE gives us something similar to Marvel's movies.