Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New iPad (iPad 3, iPad HD, 3rd gen)

Found this article about the new iPad and comics.
    http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/con...r-ipad-article

I'm glad to hear that the iPad resolution increased to 2048x1536. I wonder if comixology will be able to increase the resolution from previously downloaded comics or if they will look nice right off the bat. Same thing with my Amazing Spider-Man pdfs.
    In war the elders may give the orders, but it's the young who have to fight.

Already ordered mine. By all reports the screen looks outstanding, and with that resolution, a ten hour battery and under a pound and a half, it looks like the ultimate digital comics reader. I doubt we'll see something that matches it any time soon.

I reckon ComiXology's comics are already pretty high res for the panel by panel mode, and while I don't know if they'll be upgrading the files to make panel view any sharper, page view should benefit tremendously once they update the app. Meanwhile I have thousands of Git Corp. Marvel PDFs that should look outstanding right off the bat.
    -Goodman

Comics reader since 1974. Now purchasing 100% of my comics digitally.

Got one of these on order myself. I've been very pleased with the iPad so far, and looking forward to playing around with a new one and seeing what's it's really capable of doing.
    Be all you can be.

Apple now has refurbished Ipad 2s on sale for 349$. I am thinking about ordering one, the new version doesn't seem worth the extra money for what my needs are
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

What kind of warranty do the refurbished iPads have?

Never mind, I found it. One year standard warranty.
    Last edited by DonC; 03-08-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

I preordered it through the Apple website but have yet to receive a confirmation in my mail. Has this happened to anyone yet? Should I be concerned or call customer support?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    I preordered it through the Apple website but have yet to receive a confirmation in my mail. Has this happened to anyone yet? Should I be concerned or call customer support?
    I bought mine directly through the Apple store years ago but I can't remember if I got a confirmation e-mail right away or not.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    You should see your order right away at https://store.apple.com/us/order/list (you'll have to log in, of course). If it's not there, I'd be concerned.

I ordered mine late Wednesday night and had it engraved and it already shipped.
    -Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by mistergoodman View Post
    You should see your order right away at https://store.apple.com/us/order/list (you'll have to log in, of course). If it's not there, I'd be concerned.

I ordered mine late Wednesday night and had it engraved and it already shipped.

Yeah, I made a dumb move, added item to cart, then checked out as guest instead of using my Apple ID account, which can track every step of the order process. But it's okay, I just received email confirming my order. yay!

Where the Highway Ends and the Desert Breaks

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    Apple now has refurbished Ipad 2s on sale for 349$. I am thinking about ordering one, the new version doesn't seem worth the extra money for what my needs are
    I'm probably being an unrealistic, stubborn cheapass, but the most I'd pay for one is $150. The main reason I'd want one is to have a more comfortable way of reading PDF journal articles.
    "Everybody, sooner or later, sits down to a banquet of consequences." - Robert Louis Stevenson

arghhhh! ill just wait for the IPAD 20

I just got my iPad 3 (I'm dictating this post on it in fact). The screen is every bit as good as they say. What's strange is, ComiXology comics look amazing on it, even though I haven't heard anything about it being optimized for retina yet. Text in ComiXology comics is FAR more readable, and it's very obvious when you display the same comics on my first generation iPad and the iPad 3 next to each other. It's everything I hoped for.
    -Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by Serik View Post
    I'm probably being an unrealistic, stubborn cheapass, but the most I'd pay for one is $150. The main reason I'd want one is to have a more comfortable way of reading PDF journal articles.
    Nah, just do not feel it is worth paying that much for something that you have limited uses in mind, I am still happy with my Touchpad for what I wanted it for.

Quote Originally Posted by mistergoodman View Post
    I just got my iPad 3 (I'm dictating this post on it in fact). The screen is every bit as good as they say. What's strange is, ComiXology comics look amazing on it, even though I haven't heard anything about it being optimized for retina yet. Text in ComiXology comics is FAR more readable, and it's very obvious when you display the same comics on my first generation iPad and the iPad 3 next to each other. It's everything I hoped for.
    That's good to hear. I never bought an iPad 1 or 2 because I thought text was too hard to read in full page mode and I didn't like using panel to panel mode.

How about comics that aren't from Comixology though? My favorite comics are comics from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, and the vast majority of them are not available on Comixology so I have to settle for *cough*pirated*cough* scans. Most of these scans are very low resolution so I wonder if they look bad on an iPad 3?

Quote Originally Posted by batman_pwns View Post
    How about comics that aren't from Comixology though? My favorite comics are comics from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, and the vast majority of them are not available on Comixology so I have to settle for *cough*pirated*cough* scans. Most of these scans are very low resolution so I wonder if they look bad on an iPad 3?
    Well a low resolution scan is a low resolution scan, but obviously a good screen never hurts. And reportedly Comic Zeal looks great on the new iPad (a great program for reading scans).
    -Goodman