Wanderer of Kildre Hill eDKeener's Avatar

Default Mice Templar vol.3 #8

I have been a fan of Mice Templar sinse almost before the first issue of volume 1 came out. I've made many bold, albeit incorrect, predictions about the book based on tried and true fantasy formulas. The Templar creative team have been outstanding in making at least me think one thing, but then presenting something completely different in a manner that makes complete sense in the story. Sometimes it isn't until later issues that everything clicks and the pieces fall in to place and your left there looking at the book and doing the mental head slap as you realize you were going down a path the whole time thinking you were somewhere else.

As this is an advance review I will keep this spoiler free (mostly), but I do want to say some things about the latest issue. Issue 8 is the final issue in volume three and for me it was possibly one of the best issues of the series to date. The blending of the real world with the dream world that holds Karic hostage sense he was scratched by the diabluhn cat is for lack of a better term a nice piece of art. The way Santos' normal pages blend with Oeming's water colors and they weave a dance that has to be admired. For me this issue showed what a great comic book could and should be art wise.

The story itself follows paths as it skips towards the conclusion that aren't jarring in the least. It reminded me of a dance of two very talented artists. There was a lead story of what was going on in the real world, but the dream world was just as strong and moved within the lead story perfectly. A little bit of the history of Karic's journey with Wotan is revealed while allies and enemies alike, that may have been forgotten during the excitement and adventure of the last few issues, are brought to the front and shown to be very capable of handling themselves. The story reads like a great classical song, starting quietly then building to a crescendo and moving back down only to build again to another crescendo. By the last page of the main story I had been moved to great heights and valleys low. But the final page had me wanting to jump for joy and cry all at the same time.

Again, as a long time reader of the series I believe this issue was one of, if not the best issue of Mice Templar to date.

I've been a fan of the book since before the first issue, too. So it's nice there's some of that going around.
    Comics Reader

THE EIDOLON NEVER HAD A GHOST OF A CHANCE - Read The Cloak of Shrouded Men.

Wanderer of Kildre Hill eDKeener's Avatar

Yeah...I love the book. It's been a solid read since the beginning and hasn't stopped. Glad to see someone else enjoys it too.