Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Status Quo Cowards Thanos Classic's Avatar

Batman's a man with a conviction born from exceptional circumstances that has steadily been reinforced through many situations justifying his rationale. In fact, it's really only with the advent of a few key mass murders, all of which always go free, that this way of thinking seems to fall short. To elaborate, recidivism is a way of life in the justice system. However, murder tends to be a crime with a fairly low repeats. Hence, while arm robbers and such repeating their offenses after being released should come as no surprise, it's another story for insane comic repeat killers. It's those killers that Batman should take some special care of.

So... um... I still don't mind the no killing. The lack of self-defense fatalities or outright murder makes Batman distinct. However, what I can't stand is how Batman has taken no means to relocate certain key criminals. This wouldn't be such a big deal if all his JLA stuff didn't exist. However, since it does, it makes no bloody sense. It would take NO effort, to store absolutely impossible to redeem monsters like he joker in some impenetrable cell, while still providing him basic human rights. Eh, but I guess that's suppose to be part of "letting humanity" deal with it's own problems. Because supermen can't make are choices for us.

Edit: In fact, lol, I wouldn't mind reading a story line of some new earth Gl misappropriating the rules and starting to move earth criminals into OA cells. It's be an interesting way to bring a totally new Gl into the scene....
    Last edited by Thanos Classic; 03-07-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Batman should call Superman or Wonderwoman to put an end to Crime in Gotham Forever. It'd only take about 3 minutes...

The Last One to Fall Dragonfirexl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Death by Mime View Post
    You are so conservative that even your attempts at breaking from the norm are elaborate exercises in morality plays. Here's a Very Special Episode where Batman takes drugs to learn at the end that drugs are bad, m'kay? My god I am literally appalled by how absurdly conservative this is.
    What I would like to see happen is see Batman fighting someone like riddler or two-face on rooftop after they committed a heinous crime, have them fall over the side hanging on for dear life, begging him to save them. I then want him to look at them with that Bat Glare of his and walk away, and be perfectly fine with the outcome. Im okay that he doesnt kill his bad guys but why does he constantly save them, it makes no sense racing against time to get someone like the Joker the the ER. It's their own fault most of the time just let them reap what they sow.
    Once more into the fray,
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day,
    Live and die on this day.

Batman is so insanely skilled and has such amazing tech that killing is usually not a necessary thing for him to do. I'm sure he would kill if there was truly no other choice in a certain situation. But capturing say, the Joker and then killing him just to prevent future deaths would be murder. Killing the Joker when there was no other choice in a certain situation to save lives would not be murder.
    Life looks better in black and white.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    Batman is so insanely skilled and has such amazing tech that killing is usually not a necessary thing for him to do. .
    More like, he's always written conveniently so that killing is usually not a necessary thing for him to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    More like, he's always written conveniently so that killing is usually not a necessary thing for him to do.
    Of course, but I was trying to stay with in-universe reasoning.
    Life looks better in black and white.

I Kick Crime in the Balls The Greatest Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfirexl View Post
    What I would like to see happen is see Batman fighting someone like riddler or two-face on rooftop after they committed a heinous crime, have them fall over the side hanging on for dear life, begging him to save them. I then want him to look at them with that Bat Glare of his and walk away, and be perfectly fine with the outcome. Im okay that he doesnt kill his bad guys but why does he constantly save them, it makes no sense racing against time to get someone like the Joker the the ER. It's their own fault most of the time just let them reap what they sow.
    "I'm not going to kill you. But I don't have to save you either."

It worked in Begins, and it was awesome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Hero View Post
    "I'm not going to kill you. But I don't have to save you either."

It worked in Begins, and it was awesome.
    Do you know how much complaining I get from that a day?

BANNED

Outside of comic books, you'll never see heroes who have an absolute no kill policy. A lot of the times, you'll have these action heroes who are definitely good guys, and aren't messed up or Punisher-esque, but they do use lethal force. They don't like killing, but they do when necessary.

Masked Bat-Mod RonnieThunderbolts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Outside of comic books, you'll never see heroes who have an absolute no kill policy. A lot of the times, you'll have these action heroes who are definitely good guys, and aren't messed up or Punisher-esque, but they do use lethal force. They don't like killing, but they do when necessary.
    That is largely true, but there are other instances. Aang, from television and film's Avatar, the Last Air-Bender, film's Butch Cassidy, John Connor in Terminator 2 and on TV in the Sarah Connor Chronicles, and many characters from Buddhist parables and stories are non-comic book examples of characters who hold a strong conviction for a no-killing rule.

I think you're clearly correct that the idea is much more prevalent in superhero fiction than it is in any other genre, and especially in comics where superheroes dominate.

But for the last 3 decades the way superheroes are portrayed inside and out of comics they are more and more willing to make exceptions and kill in extreme circumstances, or are killing with relative frequency for any variety of justifications. I think because of its presence throughout the majority of Batman's personal history in the comic version (and most versions in other media), the adherence to the no-kill oath while other heroes are willing to compromise or forgo that belief entirely, sets Batman apart.

I think Batman's "no killing" policy stems from genre savvy. Remember what Gordon said at the end of Batman Begins about escalation. The harder a superhero tries to put criminals down, the harder the criminals will strike back. There is a limit to how far things can escalate in the real world. A criminal organization in real life is not going to be able to wage a full scale war against the US government, at least not for long. There are no limits in a comic book universe. In the DC universe, it is possible for someone to gain the powers of hell, or curry the favor of a dark god, or form an alliance with a galaxy conquering alien warlord to supply their gang with some of the most advanced technology in the universe.

Putting down the bad guys won't help because not only do they become like martyrs but there will always be someone worse to take their place. The Joker does die but what happened after that? He inspired an entire gang of Jokerz that run rampant across Gotham for the next 50 years. Killing a guy like Black Mask probably won't be much different. Criminals aren't going to think, "hey, if a guy that's as bad as Black Mask got taken down, maybe I'm not safe either. I better go legit." They're going to think, "Black Mask was weak and that's why he got taken out. If I want to make it in this town I have to be 10 times more violent and ruthless."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KingofMadCows View Post
    Putting down the bad guys won't help because not only do they become like martyrs but there will always be someone worse to take their place. The Joker does die but what happened after that? He inspired an entire gang of Jokerz that run rampant across Gotham for the next 50 years.
    The Jokerz were just canon fodder thugs that could have taken their inspiration from anyone. So while I see your point, this isn't the best illustration of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofMadCows View Post
    I think Batman's "no killing" policy stems from genre savvy. Remember what Gordon said at the end of Batman Begins about escalation. The harder a superhero tries to put criminals down, the harder the criminals will strike back. There is a limit to how far things can escalate in the real world. A criminal organization in real life is not going to be able to wage a full scale war against the US government, at least not for long. There are no limits in a comic book universe. In the DC universe, it is possible for someone to gain the powers of hell, or curry the favor of a dark god, or form an alliance with a galaxy conquering alien warlord to supply their gang with some of the most advanced technology in the universe.

Putting down the bad guys won't help because not only do they become like martyrs but there will always be someone worse to take their place. The Joker does die but what happened after that? He inspired an entire gang of Jokerz that run rampant across Gotham for the next 50 years. Killing a guy like Black Mask probably won't be much different. Criminals aren't going to think, "hey, if a guy that's as bad as Black Mask got taken down, maybe I'm not safe either. I better go legit." They're going to think, "Black Mask was weak and that's why he got taken out. If I want to make it in this town I have to be 10 times more violent and ruthless."
    This is where the genius of Punisher's methods shows. He kills everyone, whether they're a hustler or an evil genius. Everyone gets the same treatment.. And when the new guys crop up to replace them he kills them too. Then he kills their replacements. New guy pops up whos extra psycho? Who cares, he gets shot down too. By keeping the pressure on he essentially enforces the Peter Principle, with low level soldiers being promoted higher than they're qualified and the entire operation getting crippled. Thats how you do it. Stake out their birthday parties and wipe them out, then bomb the funerals to clean up the mess. Don't let up. By The Punisher MAX's 24th issue he'd wiped out New York's organized crime, leaving only the dregs.

If Batman wanted to get things done and make a difference thats how to do it.

Has Batman ever punched some mugger or crim in the face, the guy had a heart condition and croaked? Not speaking of the golden age stuff as previously shown in this thread, but a standard action for him leads to someones death? I think that could be interesting.
    Visit my comics blog http://mugshotcomics.com become a member, leave a comment. Updated twice weekly

Quote Originally Posted by rob fleming View Post
    Has Batman ever punched some mugger or crim in the face, the guy had a heart condition and croaked? Not speaking of the golden age stuff as previously shown in this thread, but a standard action for him leads to someones death? I think that could be interesting.
    If not when he punched them out then most certainly when he dangled them off a roof by their ankle when questioning them.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Batman has one of (if not THE) best rogues gallery in comics.

If he kills, he won't.