Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

There's a today-only sale on pulp crime novels for $0.99 each. See here: http://t.co/knH2oax9

Authors include Fletcher Flora, Robert Colby, Vin Packer, William Gault, Whit Masterson, Wade Mara, Orrie Hitt, Peter Rabe, and more.
    Expletive Deleted

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Harold Lamb has a few old books available for Kindle or in other EBook formats. I just downloaded (free!) The crusades: the flame of Islam, and although there are gliteches with some characters (the typographical ones, not the historical ones!) it's great to see that this is available again, as it's been out of print for basically ever. Reading on an iPOD would not be my first choice, though, all things being equal.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Cash Chronicles: The Book o' Samson. $2.99. Detailed alternate history about mutants in the wild west, with tall tale elements. Includes some color pictures (depending on your device, of course, but a tablet should work just fine). Plenty of symbolism, philosophy, action and character development. Plus it's the first in a series.
    Buy my book! It's got mutants in the wild west!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cash-...24463304272965

The Book of Ultimate Truths by Robert Rankin, just reviewed by Slam over in the "don't know what to call this thread" thread, is free through tomorrow on Amazon, and the next two books in the series, Raiders of the Lost Car Park and The Most Amazing Man Who Ever Lived, are $5 each.
    Expletive Deleted

This month on the American Kindle Store, Anno Dracula is 3.99 and The Quantum Thief is 2.99

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    The Book of Ultimate Truths by Robert Rankin, just reviewed by Slam over in the "don't know what to call this thread" thread, is free through tomorrow on Amazon, and the next two books in the series, Raiders of the Lost Car Park and The Most Amazing Man Who Ever Lived, are $5 each.
    The Book of Ultimate Truths is a really great read.

I can't help but recommend my own "Nothing Men," but it is $4.99.

FYI, Amazon has put the Kindle DX on sale for $270 (down from $380) for its Gold Box deal today (8/10). If a big e-ink screen is your thing, now would be the time.
    Soap Operus

"Gendou is probably the least whiny, but... well, let's just say that his reaction was probably not quite as healthy as a good whine."
    -The Drunkard Kid, on Evangelion

I need to apologize to people for starting this thread and then abandoning it.

I'll have a bunch of recommendations of my own later today.
    Last edited by Iangould; 09-01-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

First off thank you to everyone who's made recommendations: Doug and Miranda, as soon as I work my way through the pile of Bryant & May novels I just picked up I shall check out your works - along with many of the other books people have recommended.

Now a few recomndations of my own - and a couple of warnings:

The Year's top Short SF novels
    For someonr who grew up reading the sf magazines of the 60's and the fantastic Hugo winner anthologies, the novella/short novel format holds many fond memories. One of the msot important elements of science fiction and the shrot novel (50-150 pages) permits writers to do so in greater detail than in the short story format whiel avoiding the gigantism that afflicts the contemporary field. This collection steches the definition of cheap at $5.99 but it provides an enormous amount of entertainment for that price. Alistair Reymolds, Stephen Baxter, Paul McCauley and Geofrey Landis all provide excellent stories as one would expect. David Moles, Steven Popkes and Rick Wilber, whose work I wasn't previously familiar with provide really otustanding stories that make me want ot read mroe of their work.

Then there's Wired by Douglas E Richards, a bad, bad, book that strips away the hope for the future of the genre that the previous book inspired. I won;t link to this since I can't concieve of any real use for this book except as a catalog of errors to be avoided.

Next: Wool by Hugh Howey. These books have been a phenomenon on Kindle and have been best-sellers in the free/cheap category. The Wool Omnibus collects five stories that originally appeared as individual volumes. but as physical books they'd be very thin indeed. The collected Wool reads much like the best "fix-up" sf novels of the forties and fifties. Each piece stands on its own and yet advances an overall narrative. There are weakneses botth in characterization and plot but overal lthis is a very entertaining book.

Timecachers This tiem travel novels just isn;t very good.

Extinction Point by Paul jones. I had mixed feelings about this one. It's a very cozy end of the world novel where 99.99% of the human race dies off-stage and don't even leave bodies behind. however there are moments of real fear and the it's an oddly convincing apocalypse.

Forge of Stones by Vasilios Kalampakas: I'm reading this currently and it's a challenging book - but not in a good way. There appears to be a fairly interesting, if soemwhat pedestrian science fiction story in there somewhere. Unforuantely the author doesn't appear to be a native English speaker and doesn't appear to have hired a professional translator. This goes beyond the minor but irritating typoes common to self-pubished Kindle books. At one point, they seem to get confused abotu te use of "he" and "she".

Anyway, it's coming up on 11 PM, more reviews tomorrow.

Transfer by Neal Steckel $2.99: This is a very mixed book. It starts out as a fun and somewhat different First Contact story. Then the fighting and it's some of the most ludicrous over-the-top Conanism i've seem in long time.

Stories from the Quiet War $0.99 Paul McAuley. now this is an example of the strengths of e-publishing. McAuley is one of the most outstanding sf writers working today. Unfortunately, this series of short stories set in the same universe as McAuley's Quiet War novels only rusn to aroudn 200 pages whihc would make it a difficult sell in the current market as a physical book. Plus, to be honrst, a couple of these stories are from early in McAuley's career and aren't as accomplished as his later wrk. But at 99 cents this collection is still a bargain.

The Monster in the Mist by Andrew Mayne - $0.99. This is the first in a series of short humorous adventure novels. They seem to be heaily influenced by Dr Who but they're still fun. Lots of running aroudn the sewers of 1890's Boston after Creatures from Beyondf Man's Imagining.

Finally Walter Jon williams has a bunch of his older books available for $4.99. Williams is possibly the most underestiamted writer in current sf. Its' not that he's overlooked it's that I think he rates with the very best writers in the field. In particular I'd recommend Knight Moves and Days of Atonement. There seemw to be a view that charactrerization is of secondary importance in hard sf. In Days in particular Williams demonstrates that it doesn't have to be so, mixing technological speculation with exceptionally well-realized characters.

Well that's me for now and thanks again for everyone who contributed to this thread.

Looks like most of the Parker novels by Richard Stark are 3.99 on the American Kindle Store right now.

Barry Hughart's complete "Master Li and Number Ten Ox" series is currently available in one volume for $2.99 here.
    Expletive Deleted

For fans of Spies, Hugh Laurie, and Jeeves and Wooster, The Gun Seller is 1.99 this month.

Joe Hill's debut novel Heart-Shaped Box is currently $1.99 here. It's not quite as good as his sophomore effort, Horns, but it's a fun, creepy little ghost story.
    Expletive Deleted