Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Kindle Daily deal is 14 PKD novels for 1.99 each.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

The Humble E-Book Bundle is a name-your-own-price deal sponsored by the EFF, Child's Play, and the SFWA. For your donation, you get:

Cory Doctorow's Pirate Cinema
    Paolo Bacigalupi's Pump Six
    Lauren Beukes' Zoo City
    Mercedes Lackey's Invasion
    Kelly Link's Stranger Things Happen and Magic for Beginners

And if you choose to donate more than the current average ($12.08 at the moment), you also get:

Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean's Signal to Noise
    John Scalzi's Old Man’s War

All of them are DRM-free, multi-format, the works.
    Expletive Deleted

Hi, all.

just wanted to point peopel towards the Wildside Press Megapacks

these are big meaty colelctions of short novels and shorter works - for $0.99 per pack.

They cover science fiction, horror, juvenile adventure (such as the Tom Corbett novels), mystery and more.

I stumbled on these on Kindle.com and have been buying the sf megapacks on there. But there's a request on their site that people buy direct from them as they get a bigger cut that way.

The quality of the stories in the sf packages is mixed - most of the old works are at a minimum pretty decent and soem are classics. Unfortunately most of the new works are pretty poor - but the Megapacks are about 75% older work.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Now that's a deal, Ian. And not all of these old stories are easily available anywhere else, so it's an added bonus.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Now that's a deal, Ian. And not all of these old stories are easily available anywhere else, so it's an added bonus.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing many titles (not counting the handful of recent stories) that aren't on Project Gutenberg in some form.

Unless there's value added, I've been trying to avoid repackagings of public domain and CC-licensed material.
    Expletive Deleted

There also might be some infringing works in those packs. One of them had a Doctorow story that was released under a CC non-commercial share-alike license, so I don't know if they have permission to sell it.

Just searching for some of the newer stuff, I'm seeing some writers promoting their appearances in these anthologies. So presumably they're licensing this stuff properly.
    Expletive Deleted

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing many titles (not counting the handful of recent stories) that aren't on Project Gutenberg in some form.

Unless there's value added, I've been trying to avoid repackagings of public domain and CC-licensed material.
    True, but the packaging of many texts at Project Gutenberg are at best serviceable. Useful when one wants to quickly research something, but often something of a chore to read due to random typographical anomalies, figure legends that suddenly appear in the body of the text, and other small things that are to be expected in documents produced pro bono. No big deal, certainly, but I think it can be worth two bucks to upgrade to a version that's cleaned up a little.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Tim Pwers' Hide Me Among the Graves is .99 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hide-Me-Among-...mm_kin_title_0

Amazon has a number of James Bond books for $1.99 today.

Currently free for Kindle at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ref=pd_rate_rs

Amazon's new program, Matchbook, will reduce the e-book price on any book you've purchased in print from Amazon since 1995. Prices will range from free to $2.99. Basically, it's their Auto-Rip program for CD purchases adapted to e-books.

So depending on your Amazon habits, there may be additional free/cheap Kindle books coming your way this October.
    Expletive Deleted

You can buy all of L. Frank Baum's Oz books in one volume for $0.99. So far, only 4 of Roth Plumly Thompson's Oz books are available also for $0.99 each.
    Last edited by DoubleWide; 09-08-2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Omited word
    "Just this once, everybody lives!" The Ninth Doctor, The Doctor Dances.

From what I hear, the big action in sci-fi these days is in e-books rather than physical print stuff. That's where you'll see most of the new authors who try different stuff, since the publishers seem to want only to work with established people in that genre at least.

No particular recommendations, but I'd say go through the cheap stuff, (99 cents or thereabouts), and look for new authors with books that appeal to you. That helps them out and supplies the next generation of sci-fi writers, and gives you what is hopefully a good read. Probably also works for fantasy as well.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!