Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default should dynamite comics titles share a universe?

Green Hornet, Phantom, Vampi, Shadow, Spider, Red Sonjas, Bionic, Lord of the Jungle, Flash Gorden.....

Should these books characters all bundle themselves unti one shared universe? It would be cool because there are so many different characters to enjoy and they could eventually meet and adventure together. It would be cool. :-)

I don't think that all of them would fit, but some could.
    Warlord of mars and lord of the jungle, should be in the same universe.
    Green hornet, bionicman, robocop, vampirella, shadow, phantom and army of darkness, could share a universe.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

I'd much rather they stay separate. I'd hate to read one book and then have the story abruptly end and continue (or begin as a continuation of a story) in another book I wasn't reading.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

Would be cool, but a logistical nightmare with all those licenses. I would like to see an anthology series where the characters cross over, but beyond that I don't think it is viable.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

I don't know.....

A part of me would like select properties under Dynamite to be included into a shared universe, but at the same time it's nice to have the books be all individual so that you don't have to worry about some insane crossover event that will affect all the books and you can pick and choose which titles to read without feeling like you're missing something. It's a 50/50 split with me.....

In a way many of the books do have a shared universe. Flash Gordon, Phantom and Mandrake would all share one. As would Lord of the Jungle and Warlord of Mars, and Conan and Red Sonja. I suppose Zorro, Lone Ranger and Green Hornet share a Universe as well based on crossovers and the classic story that GH is LR's descendant. The New Line horror books also share a universe.

And if you go by Phillip Jose Farmer's "wold newton family", all literary and pulp characters share the same universe.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    In a way many of the books do have a shared universe. Flash Gordon, Phantom and Mandrake would all share one. As would Lord of the Jungle and Warlord of Mars, and Conan and Red Sonja. I suppose Zorro, Lone Ranger and Green Hornet share a Universe as well based on crossovers and the classic story that GH is LR's descendant. The New Line horror books also share a universe.

And if you go by Phillip Jose Farmer's "wold newton family", all literary and pulp characters share the same universe.
    True to a certain extent, but the chances of characters from Phantom and Flash Gordon meeting up would be slim to none, giving the "shared universe" a feeling of being non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    True to a certain extent, but the chances of characters from Phantom and Flash Gordon meeting up would be slim to none, giving the "shared universe" a feeling of being non-existent.
    Characters don't necessarily have to interact to be a part of a shared universe. Small nods, Easter eggs, or background events can link books and provide a wink and a nod to loyal readers without massive crossovers or mega events. If you then throw in the occasional cross-over--like Flash Gordon/Phantom for example--it just makes it concrete and adds some sales punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Actually the chances of Phantom & Flash Gordon meeting might be pretty high, they are kind of hinting it will happen.- http://www.dynamite.net/boards/showt...2770#post22770 With current Phantom run ending and getting a "Bold Return" hints at a relaunch, maybe the original Phantom which could line him up timewise with the Flash Gordon series.
    Also add Mandrake & Lothar (which Dynamite has acquired) to that same particular universe.

as pointed out John Carter and Tarzan should definitely share a universe. I'd add Carson Napier of the Venus Series and the Pellucidar universe if they acquire that licence.

As should Lone Ranger and Green Hornet.

I would have liked to have seen Man with no Name as a triptych series, all three with the same title name and parallel stories only one is a Western one a Samurai(Yojimbo) and one a Detective(Continental Op.) never meeting but all sharing a butterfly effect type universe where distant events in one set off seemingly unconnected events in the others.

Although for the most part I'd keep most others separate.
    Last edited by Guicho; 03-18-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Earl View Post
    I'd much rather they stay separate. I'd hate to read one book and then have the story abruptly end and continue (or begin as a continuation of a story) in another book I wasn't reading.
    You got it right.Enough is enough with shared universe crap.Let the spinoffs from the original books(as long as they are good)be how Dynamite handles any story expansion.I'm already having trouble keeping up with them.

No.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

I agree - NOOOO!!

Please, god, no.

Have to agree with those who are against this - usually licenses don't lend themselves to be set in a same universe and Dynamite has to many that the end result could turn into a huge mess.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

While I don't read any Dynamite titles, I think a lot of comics could really benefit from not being in a shared universe, so I'd be in the "they shouldn't share a universe" boat.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Well Ron Martz will be writing a large crossover featuring Vampi, Eva, Red Sonja, Dorian Gray and others. Here's the announcement: http://www.comicvine.com/news/dynami...-event/144416/