Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Lemire Takes a Road Trip in "Animal Man"

Eisner-nominated writer Jeff Lemire spoke to CBR about this week's "Animal Man" #7 and teases the future of his his critically-acclaimed series, as well as a crossover with "Swamp Thing."

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Eisner-nominated writer Jeff Lemire spoke to CBR about this week's "Animal Man" #7 and teases the future of his his critically-acclaimed series, as well as a crossover with "Swamp Thing."

Full article here.
    This run has been brilliant all the way through (a whole 6 issues, I know!).

But honestly, I'm impressed with what I'm seeing here on a whole number of levels. For one, it's got some of the best character work in comics, and certainly the best family characterization in comics (eat that, Jonathan Hickman!). It's blending plot and character into a perfectly balanced whole, and that's an extremely impressive job. It's blending old concepts with new concepts to create something that feels different but grounded in history, simple but complex. It's subtly one of the smartest, most experimental books on the market -- the things Lemire is doing here, playing with meta-text in a couple of different ways without going back to the Grant Morrison well, are brilliant, with layer after layer. I didn't love last issue as much as the others, but my-oh-my was it a brilliant underscoring of the themes of the run thus far.

It really does it all. I'm loving it, and it's one of my favorite books being published today, period.

Also very relieved to hear, the last couple of days, that the ANimal Man/Swamp Thing crossover will be pretty minimal - just two direct crossovers, just two extra issues to buy to understand the story - even if I'm already buying both titles (just because I think these types of events hurt, rather than help, sales, generally).

Finally, also happy to hear that Justice League Dark is its own thing entirely, rather than tying into the Rot concept, which could very well get over extended if they do too much with it. Interested to see this entirely new, reimagined version of Black Orchid -- I expect one that goes more to the Gaiman version than the previous versions, just given Lemire's chief influences.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

This book is so great. I can't wait for Wednesday.

The more I see and read this book and the Swamp Thing one, the more I love them!!! They are the Best of The Best DC Comic books from this amazing relaunch!!!!

It was a risky choice at the period to do a such relaunch, but now, we, readers, are really happy with that!!!

Also, to read that the Black Orchid will return in a book, it is... there is no word to explain what I am feeling!!!!
    I need to buy the Deluxe HC Edition too!!!!

Here's a thought. Why hasn't Buddy thought to seek out Vixen? They both draw their powers from the Red. I remember they had an adventure in Grant Morrison's run of Animal Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
    Here's a thought. Why hasn't Buddy thought to seek out Vixen? They both draw their powers from the Red. I remember they had an adventure in Grant Morrison's run of Animal Man.
    Probably because Jeff Lemire hasn't made him think about Vixen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
    Because she would very likely be useless -- that selfsame team up in Morrison's run showed that Buddy was indisputably more powerful, more the 'connected' to the Red of the two.

Whatever she can do, he can do, and better.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Because she would very likely be useless -- that selfsame team up in Morrison's run showed that Buddy was indisputably more powerful, more the 'connected' to the Red of the two.

Whatever she can do, he can do, and better.

I remember her powers being redefined and upgraded since to the point where she no longer needs the tantu totem to channel her animal abilities. Oh well. Maybe somewhere down the line we'll see a teamup.

They were changed quite a bit and quite around for a while, but I think she ended up basically where she started.

Valued Member Since 2008 semicyon's Avatar

Mostly read the article to get more info on the Black Orchid of the New 52... despite the claim that "Lemire also discussed his love for John Constantine, his re-imagined vision of Black Orchid..." His "discussion" was pretty much, "Yup. She's in the Justice League Dark. She's different." lol

Still, good to check in and see that Lemire has a good handle on balancing out love for what other creators have done and then figure out how your own voice will add to the stories that inspire the next generation of readers and storytellers.

I'm not thrilled about a crossover with a book I don't read, but I will still be picking it up because I'm a sucker for Animal Man. Curse you comics!
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain" Steven Pinker

Veteran Member

Love Lemire and his complete understanding of how a family dynamic should be portrayed, this made me realize how good would he be at writing The Flash family, unfortunately DC does'nt seem to have any plans to update it yet.

Oh well, I guess I will have to settle to Animal Man and Justice League Dark, but I need more information of the latter.

I think the Steve Pugh art is a significant step down from Foreman but the writing on this title rocks too hard, I'm really excited to see where this series is headed.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

I had never read Animal Man before the relaunch, and it has been a very pleasant surprise; put together AMan, Swamp Thing, JLD, Frank and Demon Knights the dark titles are really a highlight of my comic reading.

Here's hoping that the upcoming crossover shows the rest of the industry how its done.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

I disagree with you Desaad on the family thing, while it is fantastic, IMO, it has good while till it goes up to Hickman terrority because Hickman (with FF and F4) brought some amazing family dynamics and dialogue which came off very grounded (as grounded as you can get with a superhero family) and very down to earth and real.

I say, wait a few more issues with Lemire and then we can come back to the discussion, IMO.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!