Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Abbadon View Post
    I'm hoping this is the inkwash painted story Mike and Scott Allie mentioned when I saw him last year at a signing!
    (Gee, last year I met a lotta Hellboy folks!)
    I'd forgotten about that until you mentioned it just now. I think I remember reading somewhere that it was only going to be a segment of the book, not the whole book too. And of course, plans can (and frequently do) change. Still, it'd be cool to see.

Considering the story is taking place either in the year 1947 or shortly after (it's set after Pancakes which was in 1947), it's possible it may have links to the upcoming 1948 miniseries too.

Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

I personally would rather not see these collected in tpb format. They're "original" graphic novels, and I feel should be treated as such. They even follow the same spine coloring treatment as the tpbs, so they keep the design flow intact.

Now I WOULD like to see these eventually collected in a library edition for archival/posterity type purposes.

I hear people say they want hardcover graphic novels, but then when we get them, people sort of complain about them. For less than the price of a movie, popcorn, and a coke you get a great little story that's worthy of a nice bookshelf collection. I don't make a lot of money by any stretch of the imagination at all, but Mike's world and Hellboy are worth investing in now and then.
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

Some early sketches for The Midnight Circus...

BANNED

I greatly look forward to this... or any Hellboy, really. but this will be great. Fegredo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Some early sketches for The Midnight Circus...
    How inspired and 'on' those Fegredo sketches look, is filling me with great awe both as sweet anticipation.

For most any of Mignola's representations of young Hellboy, such as 'Pancakes', or the SDCC promo 'crayon delinquent'-thing, both as Paul Azaceta's chickenchaser rendition in 'BPRD: 1946' or Ba & Moon's 'BPRD: 1947' Anubis moment, the characterization & renderment seems very similarly and strongly fleshed out, much like these Fegredo sketches also.

Junior sporting his asymmetry and horns, with also looking as dimply and potbelly-like, appearing as 'old-folks-like' as how especially way young children both as wrinkly babies often do.

His right hand seeming like a built-in mischievous device or at least a great tool for catching bugs or frogs if not butterflies with.

I wonder whether this 'real' version of Hellboy Junior would have secret or 'imaginary'-type of friends, like how the Hellboy Junior character often had that black flying two-faced thing along with him.

A look into Hellboy's youth (although the Midnight Circus has been described as being a coming-of-age story) seems especially interesting, since Hellboy being his own man instead of being a demon or hellspawn summoned or commanded into the world seems significant.
    It seems obvious to me that Hellboy would age or physically grow completely abnormally. But his character or psyche as developing also, since I couldn't imagine it other than more innocent or childlike more deeply than any human, since he wouldn't be belonging in the world - he wouldn't be of any world, not even his own.

So consider me wowed here .
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Those sketches are sooo perfect! I can't wait.

Another glimpse...

He's a slightly older Hellboy now.

After picking up Hellboy Library 5 I realized how much I am going to miss Duncan on the ongoing series... sure I am ecstatic that Mike is back, but DAMN Duncan is good! These glimpses into the future are exciting...!

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Another glimpse...

He's a slightly older Hellboy now.
    Woohoo, flying cooty munkee fellers!
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Storey74 View Post
    After picking up Hellboy Library 5 I realized how much I am going to miss Duncan on the ongoing series... sure I am ecstatic that Mike is back, but DAMN Duncan is good! These glimpses into the future are exciting...!
    Yeah, I feel the same. Duncan wasn't just a temporary replacement. He's become such a part of Hellboy now that I can't imagine it without him. As long as Hellboy is running, I hope he and Mignola will be illustrating the stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Woohoo, flying cooty munkee fellers!
    I like Hellboy's little backpack.

Another glimpse:

I love this one:

Who didn't love that pancake story?

Oh, I was just hankering for an update on this. Sweet.

I can confirm there are inkwash pages in this story.