Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Hey, where would Long Shadows Go on your List?

Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolAL View Post
    Hey, where would Long Shadows Go on your List?
    Right after Batman Reborn, there's a few things in there that place it very early in Dicks time as Batman

I'm planning on picking up http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...-1-new-edition (Knightfall Vol1. New Edition) when it's out next week.

But while looking at some comments on the collection, some people seem to be pointing out some missing issues? Are those missing issues important ones, or will I be ok picking up this edition, or should I look for the old one?
    Last edited by darkb1ue; 04-16-2012 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Right after Batman Reborn, there's a few things in there that place it very early in Dicks time as Batman
    Awesome, Thanks. That's a great place to start now.
    Kudos on a good Thread, this is my new go to place for info based on the fact that none of my mates know anything about Batman!

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

How's "War Games"?

My buddy asked me if I wanted to read it. He's got the 3 trades from the library.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by coconutphone View Post
    How's "War Games"?

My buddy asked me if I wanted to read it. He's got the 3 trades from the library.
    There was a thread about it not long ago; you may want to look for it.

It tends to be the target of a lot of fan-hate, some justified and some not IMO. In a nutshell, Stephanie Brown and Leslie Thompkins are written completely out of character and Stephanie is sadistically tortured. I make no defense for these things. But I found the actual storyline quite engaging. Your mileage may vary.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

How's "War Games"?

If you can read it for free, sure. Don't pay for it.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

I've updated the first page to include Owls in May and also the Top 50 a little - with the new Demon Trilogy out Birth of the Demon and Son of the Demon have been combined into one entry and moved up with their scores added. This also opens a new spot at the very bottom for...Batman VS Predator!

Quote Originally Posted by darkb1ue View Post
    I'm planning on picking up http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...-1-new-edition (Knightfall Vol1. New Edition) when it's out next week.

But while looking at some comments on the collection, some people seem to be pointing out some missing issues? Are those missing issues important ones, or will I be ok picking up this edition, or should I look for the old one?
    Those missing issues were noticed by posters here when the solicit was first released, and it's probably just a typo. DC publishes wrong solicit information once in a while and those are key issues, would make no sense at all to skip them. We'll know for certain next week but I'd say the new edition will be fine
    Last edited by nepenthes; 04-18-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    If you can read it for free, sure. Don't pay for it.
    Cool thanks. Got curius becuase of what I saw of the aftermath in Gotham Central. I read about the Stephanie/Leslie stuff. Not looking forward to that.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

Cool thanks. Got curius becuase of what I saw of the aftermath in Gotham Central. I read about the Stephanie/Leslie stuff. Not looking forward to that.
    The Stephanie stuff is kinda disgusting and depressing, but it still the best plotline of the event. The basis of War Games was to kill her off and word is that is only because DC was killing all of Chuck Dixon's characters.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Those missing issues were noticed by posters here when the solicit was first released, and it's probably just a typo. DC publishes wrong solicit information once in a while and those are key issues, would make no sense at all to skip them. We'll know for certain next week but I'd say the new edition will be fine
    What are those missing issues? So I know what to look for when I am in the store this Wednesday?

they're apparently Detective 661-666 but whether they're actually missing is still not certain. If your shop wraps the trade I'd definetly be asking to open and have a look inside.

they're apparently Detective 661-666 but whether they're actually missing is still not certain. If your shop wraps the trade I'd definetly be asking to open and have a look inside.
    Thanks, will make sure to look for those issues to be included in the trade as well.

Update: Picked up the collection today, and it does contain Detective Comics #659-666
    Last edited by darkb1ue; 04-25-2012 at 09:25 AM.

My friend got into Batman about a year and a half ago, so doesn't just want the 'essentials' list. He asked me if I could compile a chunky list of the essentials, plus others for people who have already read Year One etc al, some of the supposed lesser books, all in chronological order. I've been re-reading the entire saga, and so made a decent/chunky sized list with all the main books, and others I personally think he should read. So this list is for people properly trying to get into the batman universe (I also included Year Ones for Nightwing, Robin and Batgirl for that reason) and not just read the 'Big Ones'. Some one-shots, or ones that don't fit in continuity, may still be included in a rough space were I'd recommend.

I decided to post it here in case it's incorrect and you guys can help me out, and because it might help others looking on this thread.

Legend:
    CAPITALS and/or bold = Main Book that you really, definitely should read.
    Not in Capitals = Not essential, but if you are really serious about getting into Batman not just casually, I'd still read.
    Not in Capitals, but in italics: Ditto above, but probably a little bit more important (or at least more Known) than those with neither capitals or italics.
    s p a c e d o u t l e t t e r s = DC 'Event' (Isn't just Batman, but should still be read; read either 1. just Batman and other characters you like/are trying to follow, or 2. the whole thing if you want. A better understanding will be gained from no. 2)
    ----- = Start of Morrisons run/area (Not all books after this point are by Morrison, or part of his run, but still tie into his story, or at least the Batman mythos)
    Navy Blue = The main books from Morrisons main run (from 06-now)

YEAR ONE
    Shaman
    & The Mad Monk
    Prey
    THE MAN WHO LAUGHS
    Four of a Kind
    Gothic
    Venom
    Going Sane
    THE LONG HALLOWEEN
    DARK VICTORY
    CHRONICLES: THE GAUNTLET
    ROBIN: YEAR ONE
    BATGIRL: YEAR ONE
    TALES OF THE DEMON

Strange Apparitions
    Tales of the Batman Vol 1 (Gene Colins)
    NIGHTWING: YEAR ONE
    SONE OF THE DEMON

Ten Nights of the Beast
    THE KILLING JOKE
    The Cult
    Arkham Asylum: Serious House on Serious Earth
    A DEATH IN THE FAMILY
    Blind Justice
    The Many Deaths of Batman
    A LONELY PLACE OF DYING
    ROBIN: HERO REBORN
    BIRTH OF THE DEMON

Last Arkham
    Sword of Azrael
    KNIGHTFALL (1-3)
    PRODIGAL
    CATACLYSM
    NO MANS LAND

JLS: Tower of Babel
    Evolution
    New Gotham (1-2)
    Officer Down
    False Foes
    Bruce Wayne: Murderer?
    Bruce Wayne: Fugitive (1-3)
    HUSH
    Death & The Maidens
    Superman/Batman Vol 1 (Public Enemies)
    Broken City Batman
    Hush Returns
    WAR DRUMS
    WAR GAMES (1-3)

i d e n t i t y c r i s i s
    City of Crime
    Under The Hood Vol 1
    War Games
    O M A C p r o j e c t
    Under the Hood Vol 2
    i n f i n i t e c r i s i s
    Face to Face
    Detective
    Dark Knight Dark Sky
    Black Casebook
    ----- BATMAN & SON
    Death & the City
    Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul
    Private Casebook
    THE BLACK GLOVE
    Gotham Underground
    Heart of Hush
    R.I.P.
    f i n a l c r i s i s
    Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader
    Battle for the Cowl

Battle for the Cowl: Comapanion
    BATMAN & ROBIN Vol 1 (Batman Reborn)
    Long Shadows
    BATMAN ROBIN Vol 2 (Batman V Robin)
    Life After Death
    Arkham Reborn
    TIME & THE BATMAN
    RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE
    BATMAN & ROBIN Vol 3 (Batman Must Die)
    BATMAN INC. Vol 1

Still Being (or to be) Published: BATMAN INC Vol 2 / Leviathan)

Is this a fairly accurate list to give to someone? Any help or pointers, extra books to include? Thanks! :)
    Last edited by Sallou; 04-27-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Anybody recommend the Batman vs Bane tpb? Saw it on sale at a bookstore near work.