Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Batman9 View Post
    But it's actually kind of important to know the broad scope of FC for RoBW. Not mandatory, but if they can, people should try to give it a read.
    They can get the broad scope in Time and the Batman in far more detail, on the Batman specific elements, than in FC. But I think the main thing is that people should know FC itself is a sprawling, multifacted and at times wildly esoteric DC wide story and then make up their own mind knowing that. As long as they're not expecting Batman stories, is all.

I've read a number of Batman books like Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween (one of my favs), etc. I've always heard of Batman Inc., and based on the cover it looks like a fun read!

I've read parts of Final Crisis, never finished it. Should I continue on? Does it affect later stories or is it something I can skip?

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan_MC View Post
    I've read a number of Batman books like Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween (one of my favs), etc. I've always heard of Batman Inc., and based on the cover it looks like a fun read!

I've read parts of Final Crisis, never finished it. Should I continue on? Does it affect later stories or is it something I can skip?
    Tough call. I'd give it a go if I were you, but don't feel pressured to read it if you hate it. Just read a plot synopsis online or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman9 View Post
    Tough call. I'd give it a go if I were you, but don't feel pressured to read it if you hate it. Just read a plot synopsis online or something.
    Got cha. I'll take your advice. Thanks!
    Check out my sci-fi webcomic https://www.facebook.com/eonviant
    Connect with me on Twitter https://twitter.com/TristanMcClark

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan_MC View Post
    Got cha. I'll take your advice. Thanks!
    As long as you get the gist of it, however that may be, you're set. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    They can get the broad scope in Time and the Batman in far more detail, on the Batman specific elements, than in FC. But I think the main thing is that people should know FC itself is a sprawling, multifacted and at times wildly esoteric DC wide story and then make up their own mind knowing that. As long as they're not expecting Batman stories, is all.
    That is so true. A lot of the hate for FC is because they came in expecting a story that, quite frankly, they didn't get. It's not Batman's story, it's not anybody's story in particular. It's not straight forward and spoon fed, it makes you think. A lot of people expected a comic that would hold their hand through out, and when it didn't, they lashed out. They felt frustrated, bored and disinterested. If you go into FC with a clean slate of mind, understanding that everything won't be immediately clear, and willing to think, the outcome should be more positive than it would be if you hadn't done those things. I think that's why the Hobbit is getting a lot of backlash right now. It's not LOTR as many critics complain, it's not meant to be. It's a personal quest, a revenge story, not an epic 'end of the world' be all end all story. The tone of the book is lighter in comparison to the trilogy, so of course the movie should be lighter.

Just a simple question. I am working my way through the Batman and Batgirl back-issues and have just got up to the Night of the Owls. Would this be a good opportunity to check out all the titles that cross-over here to get an idea of the characters and writing-style of their respective titles? If so, are any particularly bad examples of what their series is like and should not be taken as a guide?

Shall I get the Long Halloween or the Killing Joke? Decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanReturns View Post
    Both eventually. I'd say, for right now, TLH. It's longer, so you will get more out of it. But both are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanReturns View Post
    Yeah you should eventually get both. But The Killing Joke first
    Currently reading: Flash 227-Flashpoint

I say go for the Long Halloween but I also echo that that you should get both. :)

Default batman knightfall

hi
    at the risk of sounding stupid if i was to buy the knightfall the collected edition 634 pages edition would i need to buy the original set.i am a little confused as for eg the 2nd edition is called who rules the night 234 pages as the collected edition is knightfall knightquest 634 pages.part one broken bat 234 pages and part one new edition is called knightfall.hope i explained myself,i suppose what im asking is if i buy the 600 page versions do i need the 200 page versions.im trying to read the whole set in chronological order
    thanks in advance

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by furryrattus View Post
    hi
    at the risk of sounding stupid if i was to buy the knightfall the collected edition 634 pages edition would i need to buy the original set.i am a little confused as for eg the 2nd edition is called who rules the night 234 pages as the collected edition is knightfall knightquest 634 pages.part one broken bat 234 pages and part one new edition is called knightfall.hope i explained myself,i suppose what im asking is if i buy the 600 page versions do i need the 200 page versions.im trying to read the whole set in chronological order
    thanks in advance
    No. The new Knightfall Volume 1 contains all the material from Broken Bat and Who Rules the Night, plus additional material like the Vengeance of Bane one-shot.

The new volume 2 collects Jean Paul Valley's Knightquest Arc (The Crusade), but omits Bruce's (The Search).

Volume 3 collects Knightsend and Prodigal.

So there's still some gaps in the story, but not like you'd get from the original three trades.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Buy the New Editions only. They collect more of the original issues than the first series of collections did. They look like this

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...-1-new-edition
    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...st-new-edition
    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...l-3-knightsend

New member, found this list brilliant. Now know how to fill gaps in my Batman reading