Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 675 of 999
  1. #661
    deep green nepenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ivy's Lair
    Posts
    6,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman9 View Post
    But it's actually kind of important to know the broad scope of FC for RoBW. Not mandatory, but if they can, people should try to give it a read.
    They can get the broad scope in Time and the Batman in far more detail, on the Batman specific elements, than in FC. But I think the main thing is that people should know FC itself is a sprawling, multifacted and at times wildly esoteric DC wide story and then make up their own mind knowing that. As long as they're not expecting Batman stories, is all.

  2. #662
    Junior Member Tristan_MC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    110

    Default

    I've read a number of Batman books like Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween (one of my favs), etc. I've always heard of Batman Inc., and based on the cover it looks like a fun read!

    I've read parts of Final Crisis, never finished it. Should I continue on? Does it affect later stories or is it something I can skip?

  3. #663
    Senior Member Batman9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan_MC View Post
    I've read a number of Batman books like Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween (one of my favs), etc. I've always heard of Batman Inc., and based on the cover it looks like a fun read!

    I've read parts of Final Crisis, never finished it. Should I continue on? Does it affect later stories or is it something I can skip?
    Tough call. I'd give it a go if I were you, but don't feel pressured to read it if you hate it. Just read a plot synopsis online or something.

  4. #664
    Junior Member Tristan_MC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman9 View Post
    Tough call. I'd give it a go if I were you, but don't feel pressured to read it if you hate it. Just read a plot synopsis online or something.
    Got cha. I'll take your advice. Thanks!
    Check out my sci-fi webcomic https://www.facebook.com/eonviant
    Connect with me on Twitter https://twitter.com/TristanMcClark

  5. #665
    Senior Member Batman9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan_MC View Post
    Got cha. I'll take your advice. Thanks!
    As long as you get the gist of it, however that may be, you're set. Have fun!

  6. #666
    Senior Member Batman9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    They can get the broad scope in Time and the Batman in far more detail, on the Batman specific elements, than in FC. But I think the main thing is that people should know FC itself is a sprawling, multifacted and at times wildly esoteric DC wide story and then make up their own mind knowing that. As long as they're not expecting Batman stories, is all.
    That is so true. A lot of the hate for FC is because they came in expecting a story that, quite frankly, they didn't get. It's not Batman's story, it's not anybody's story in particular. It's not straight forward and spoon fed, it makes you think. A lot of people expected a comic that would hold their hand through out, and when it didn't, they lashed out. They felt frustrated, bored and disinterested. If you go into FC with a clean slate of mind, understanding that everything won't be immediately clear, and willing to think, the outcome should be more positive than it would be if you hadn't done those things. I think that's why the Hobbit is getting a lot of backlash right now. It's not LOTR as many critics complain, it's not meant to be. It's a personal quest, a revenge story, not an epic 'end of the world' be all end all story. The tone of the book is lighter in comparison to the trilogy, so of course the movie should be lighter.

  7. #667
    New Member Elric of Grans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Just a simple question. I am working my way through the Batman and Batgirl back-issues and have just got up to the Night of the Owls. Would this be a good opportunity to check out all the titles that cross-over here to get an idea of the characters and writing-style of their respective titles? If so, are any particularly bad examples of what their series is like and should not be taken as a guide?

  8. #668
    New Member BatmanReturns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Shall I get the Long Halloween or the Killing Joke? Decisions, decisions...

  9. #669
    Senior Member Batman9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatmanReturns View Post
    Shall I get the Long Halloween or the Killing Joke? Decisions, decisions...
    Both eventually. I'd say, for right now, TLH. It's longer, so you will get more out of it. But both are excellent.

  10. #670
    Member batman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Keystone City
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatmanReturns View Post
    Shall I get the Long Halloween or the Killing Joke? Decisions, decisions...
    Yeah you should eventually get both. But The Killing Joke first
    Currently reading: Flash 227-Flashpoint

  11. #671

    Default

    I say go for the Long Halloween but I also echo that that you should get both. :)

  12. #672
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default batman knightfall

    hi
    at the risk of sounding stupid if i was to buy the knightfall the collected edition 634 pages edition would i need to buy the original set.i am a little confused as for eg the 2nd edition is called who rules the night 234 pages as the collected edition is knightfall knightquest 634 pages.part one broken bat 234 pages and part one new edition is called knightfall.hope i explained myself,i suppose what im asking is if i buy the 600 page versions do i need the 200 page versions.im trying to read the whole set in chronological order
    thanks in advance

  13. #673
    Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by furryrattus View Post
    hi
    at the risk of sounding stupid if i was to buy the knightfall the collected edition 634 pages edition would i need to buy the original set.i am a little confused as for eg the 2nd edition is called who rules the night 234 pages as the collected edition is knightfall knightquest 634 pages.part one broken bat 234 pages and part one new edition is called knightfall.hope i explained myself,i suppose what im asking is if i buy the 600 page versions do i need the 200 page versions.im trying to read the whole set in chronological order
    thanks in advance
    No. The new Knightfall Volume 1 contains all the material from Broken Bat and Who Rules the Night, plus additional material like the Vengeance of Bane one-shot.

    The new volume 2 collects Jean Paul Valley's Knightquest Arc (The Crusade), but omits Bruce's (The Search).

    Volume 3 collects Knightsend and Prodigal.

    So there's still some gaps in the story, but not like you'd get from the original three trades.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

  14. #674
    deep green nepenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ivy's Lair
    Posts
    6,037

    Default

    Buy the New Editions only. They collect more of the original issues than the first series of collections did. They look like this

    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...-1-new-edition
    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...st-new-edition
    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...l-3-knightsend

  15. #675
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    New member, found this list brilliant. Now know how to fill gaps in my Batman reading

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •