Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Talking How can people keep saying Superman's disguise is bad...

when both the Flash and Green Lantern walk about in their civillian disguises wearing their extremely noticeable and recognisable rings for all to see? Then there's Jay Garrick, who disguises himself...with a helmet that doesn't even cover his face. I mean, fair's fair.
    Last edited by Stu; 03-02-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    "Batman is this force that appears out of nowhere behind a guy or all the sudden comes through the window like a man-sized brick and the note attached is a serious ass-whooping"

I partially agree with you. The Flash's mask definitely helps him out and people don't generally know he uses a ring to store his costume. GL is another case entirely. That little mask really wouldn't keep anyone from recognizing him and his ring is well known. Superman's secret identity is pretty lame though. Glasses wouldn't hide anyone's identity in the real world, but this is not the real world. If we are to believe he can toss a tank and shoot lasers out of his eyes, why not have the belief no one recognizes him. It's all fantasy anyway. :)

BANNED

Its not really bad, just people have to stop taking things so seriously.

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

Superman has a better disguise than either. Mostly because Superman isn't suspected to have a secret identity, being an alien who lives in an Arctic Fortress. A couple of GLs, Guy and John, have public identities, and I think Bart and Barry were posthumously identified.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Then there's Jay Garrick, who disguises himself...with a helmet that doesn't even cover his face. I mean, fair's fair.
    Jay vibrates all the time he`s in Flash guise, to "blur" his face. Yes, really.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    Superman has a better disguise than either. Mostly because Superman isn't suspected to have a secret identity, being an alien who lives in an Arctic Fortress. A couple of GLs, Guy and John, have public identities, and I think Bart and Barry were posthumously identified.
    Barry was. Than Geoff Johns wrote an "OMD" kind of deal for Wally, and then Barry wasn't anymore. Bart, I can`t recall.... I kinda blocked "Countdown`era DC Comics". Once Cass cain knows Navajo and Bart Alen gets whinny, things blur in my memory.

The Clark Kent disguise can work, it just depends on the artist, like how Frank Quitley made the two personas look distinctive, the "Harry Potter" look in the New 52 works too. Also the whole vibrating his face that was used in the early Post Crisis stories were useful. Plus the ability to change the tone of his voice like in the radio serial helped too
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

I always figured that all the normal people and super villains were just really, really, suffering from a bad case of myopia.

Barry was. Than Geoff Johns wrote an "OMD" kind of deal for Wally, and then Barry wasn't anymore. Bart, I can`t recall.... I kinda blocked "Countdown`era DC Comics". Once Cass cain knows Navajo and Bart Alen gets whinny, things blur in my memory.

This is arguably the best bit of identity hiding I ever saw: go from a lighthearted fun character to a brooding wreck. If even your own fandom readers can't recognize you anymore...your I.D. is pretty darn safe.

Supes disguise works fine for the general public. How it ever fooled Lois, Perry, Jimmy, et al, on the other hand...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I don't think little bits of accessories are enough to give away a secret identity. You can throw Daredevil and his batons into the same pile.

As for Superman... Even at its very best its still flimsy. Christopher Reeve did a fantastic job of differentiating Clark and Supes, but it was still really obvious that they were the same guy. The only things standing in Clark's favour is that nobody really knows who Clark Kent is and nobody thinks Superman has a secret identity. But the fact that Clark's job entails hanging out with people whose job is to be perceptive kind of negates all that.

But a lot of secret identities don't really make sense. The only guy in Gotham who has the resources, motivation and chin to be Batman is Bruce Wayne (which is why I prefer a Batman whose more theatrical to the point where people think he has powers rather than tech). That dorky awkward Peter Parker kid is always able to get those Spider-Man snapshots, has a motive to fight crime and (like Clark) hangs out with people whose job is to figure this sort of thing out.

Its just part of the genre.

Superhero disguises in general are bad, news at 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtheboring, at LJ, on the subject of LotR fanfiction
    At this point, if they hooked up a generator to Prof. Tolkien's grave, the spinning would power half of Europe.

It's like hydroelectric power, only evil. ;)
    http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm393671.html

The disguise works best when it´s shown as being more than just glasses. Different personalities & voices. In the silver-age (at least) he also compressed his spine when he was Clark. Making Clark Kent shorter than Superman. There were times then when superman would shred his Clark outfit by flexing his muscles. To me that implies that Kal compressed his muscles when he was Clark. Clark would appear to be at least 3 inches shorter & thinner. They would be seen by most people as two separate individuals who bear a resemblance to each other. Lois Lane & Lana Lang both spent decades trying to prove that Clark was Superman. There were others that tried to prove it too. And he always found a way to ¨prove¨ them wrong. Every time he ¨proved¨ that He & Clark Kent were two separate people, would make his disguise more convincing.
    John Martin, citizen of the Omniverse. :D :evilsmile ;)

Clark Kent is more iconic than the Flash and Green Lantern: he is the secret identity. So it's natural more people will poke fun at it. But a week ago I was at a convention where Mike Deodato was present, and I went to greet him: however, it was just someone who resembled him with glasses. Heh. I think most people will dismiss the notion when they see Superman with a Clark Kent robot: however, I've always believed if anyone could figure it out, it was Lois, hence my dissatisfaction with continuities where he reveals it to her.

Here's something I learned as a kid and it's helped me through the years: Comics are not literal; comics are figurative.

I used to strain my brain as a little kid as I tried to apply the literal logic I learned in school when it came to comics. And it drove me nearly insane. Take for example Charlie Brown. When Charlie Brown faces forward (well, three quarter view--we never see Charlie Brown head on), he has that curly loop of hair. When he's in profile, he has that one hook of hair. I would try and try to resolve how this could be when I was a little kid, as it made no literal sense.

Another example that hung me up as a kid was the Batman mask (as drawn in the Bob Kane style)--was that black on the mask a shadow? was it painted on? was one part blue and the other black?

Eventually I realized that we aren't supposed to question these things. Comics do not represent the literal truth of things. They are figurative. Stories are figurative, drawings are figurative. We best understand comics by understanding what they represent through symbolic language.

I think the problem for readers these days is that writers and artists try too hard to be literal. So some readers assume that everything they read and see has to make sense in a literal way and they don't learn to think about comics in a figurative way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    But a lot of secret identities don't really make sense. The only guy in Gotham who has the resources, motivation and chin to be Batman is Bruce Wayne (which is why I prefer a Batman whose more theatrical to the point where people think he has powers rather than tech).
    In light of recent events this actually works. Bruce Wayne publicly finances Batman with his "resources" because of his "motivation"... and there's a lot of chins out there.

I mean according to Harvey Bulloc in Batman #1 Bruce Wayne is Batman's pal, and when Bruce Wayne's life was threatened and he accept police protection Gordon assume that Batman had it covered...

Hell in the Dark Knight comic Bruce Wayne has special agents on his ass for funding Batman.

With the current Batman Inc status quo Batman just works, the people of the world knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne's "agent"... they just don't know they are the same guy.