Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Justice League: Doom discussion thread

Your thoughts on the latest DC animated movie.

I like how it ties into the DCnU. That DC chose to use Barry Allen for Flash, and bringing in Cyborg just like the comics. It was amazing seeing Cyborg get the spot light. I also enjoyed being introduced to this Savage villain. That's a good bad guy! I also like the way they used Mirror Master. I've never seen him kick so much @$$!

On a side note, I'll be looking forward to seeing if the Legion of Doom or Savage show up in the DCnU.

A very fun movie. It is always great to see the Justice League interacting with each other. I also like how the movie plays with the theme of trust. Batman obviously trusts his team mates, but yet he made all the plans as he saw it as a necessity. In the end, others probably no longer trust him, but that scene with Superman was very heart warming.

One question/problem though, how did Vandal Savage know Batman had those contingency files?
    "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot." - Dick Grayson
    "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." - Damian Wayne

Best animated comic book movie since Under the Red Hood.

BANNED

Loved it. Great to see Barry and Hal in animation. Cyborg's role was great. I wish the current book was anywhere near this level.

My favorite part was how they left Green Lantern's ring in the mine right next to him, like he would never think to put it back on or exit the mine or try to get the bodies out of there. They were planning on him just sitting there and clinging to the body until he died of thirst I guess??

Also I enjoyed how Batman's contingency plan for if Green Lantern turned evil / was mind controlled was apparently to just guilt-trip him into giving up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Death by Mime View Post
    My favorite part was how they left Green Lantern's ring in the mine right next to him, like he would never think to put it back on or exit the mine or try to get the bodies out of there. They were planning on him just sitting there and clinging to the body until he died of thirst I guess??.
    Yeah I thought the same. I was willing to overlook/forgive this, but I still can't help but wonder why they just left him with the ring, as if they knew nothing would ever change his mind.

I like to imagine that when they got to Batman's files on Hal, it just said, "yo, this guy's a total maroon, just make him feel bad about himself and boom, he's out of the picture."

Anyone with half a brain would figure out how to counter Superman...
    "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot." - Dick Grayson
    "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." - Damian Wayne

Thought this film was really great, as far as DC Justice League films go this was definitely one of the better ones. This film and Crisi on Earth Two have become 2 of my favorite DC direct films. Sure there might have been one or two very minor things I could pick at, but I never get the point of being this critical. This was definitely one of the better films. Personally I enjoyed it more than the comic it was "loosely adapted on." Typically in films like these with such versatile and powerful characters there are elements of the story you can pick at or question, this movie had surprisingly few. I also like that in this movie every character got a moment to shine, unlike past Justice League movies. Really every character was given an important role or impressive scene. More importantly this script and team felt organic. Loved the interactions between all the characters. My only problem with some of this film is that this creative team has to fit so much into a 77 minute time slot at times it can feel rushed. I thought the pacing was good overall, but a little rushed at the end I guess that cannot be avoided.

I thought the Cyborg vs Wonder Woman encounter was hilarious.

Cyborg: "wait. Did you just call me Cheetah?"

pow!

I though Wondy was a little brutal though. I know she really broke off Cyborg's robotic arm. But in her mind she was ripping Cheetah's arm off. Whatever, its a minor thing. vLoved how Wonder Woman used her lasso as a whip. Its pretty simple idea but worked really well surprised no one else thought of it before.

Also that scene where Wonder Woman told Cyborg "Stay, your a part of this now." I was all like dang! We know who really runs the Justice League. LOL

Moreover, I thought the plan to take down Wonder Woman was a big improvement over the comic version. It just came out much better. My only question is. How seriously do you think Wonder Woman hurt some of those bystanders and policeman she thought were Cheetah?

Cheetah was awesome by the way. Heck all the villains were awesome.

For Cyborg, McDuffie really did a great job of adapting the Teen Titans Go version into more of a DC Animated Original format. His design was well thought out. And his functions were well illustrated in the film. I think part of the difference between the movie version and this comic version has to do with intent. Meaning the roles the writer gives each character and their purpose on the team. McDuffie really gives each hero their own distinct/iconic archetypes.

Flash: Speedster
    Wonder Woman: The ultimate warrior/gladiator
    MM: the shape-shifting telepath
    Cyborg: Cyberpath (Expert electrical/mechanical engineer etc. The tech guy)
    Batman: World's greatest detective/The planner and strategist
    Superman: Hey he's Superman. The Paragon of all things heroic. Leader etc.
    Green Lantern: Member with the strongest will; energy blaster and energy constructs

I think some of the criticisms in for this film I've hear have been pretty shallow. The movie already explains how mirror master stole the plans and why Batmans security didn't stop him. I thought everyone was written well the fights were awesome. Its a loosely adapted film, it doesn't have to be the same as the comic. As far as pacing goes it wasn't perfect, but they have to fit it into 77 minutes, so this is as good as we were going to get. I mean as far as Superhero animated films this was a one of the better ones.

My only real minor complaint with this film is that the missile got to the sun way to fast. But I know DC knows this, and just kind of ignored it because of time constraints, so whatever its really not a big deal to me.

Also I don't get people complaining about Superman looking weak in this film. He looked unstoppable when Kryptonite wasn't involved. And even when he fought Metallo he won by sheer force.

All the fights in this film were gorgeous, great choreography for everyone. Michael Rosenbaum is the perfect voice for the Flash as always his scenes were awesome. And even though I don't like Hal Jordan, I enjoyed him this movie. Nathan Fillion totally kills it on his part

My favorite part is how Batman keeps assuring everybody the plans weren't meant to kill, just to incapacitate.
    Superman - Shoot him with a kryptonite bullet. Batman Commentary: I meant just the leg!
    Wonder Woman - Make her fight until her heart gives out. Batman Commentary: I thought she'd just get tired!
    Flash - Attach a bomb to him. Batman Commentary: The bomb was made of... candy?
    Green Lantern - Make him cry. Batman's actually okay here.
    Martian Manhunter - Set him on fire. CONSTANTLY. Although that's his weakness, it wouldn't outright kill him. I think. So that's two for Batman's incapacitate theory.

I actually really liked the film, the only thing that really bothered me was GL's whine fest. Even with Batman explaining about Scarecrow gas being used to amp up the fear, it seemed a pretty weak way to handle GL.

Nice movie; a reviewer elsewhere asked " Why do all the DC animated movies time out at 80 minutes?" An extra 10 minutes would have helped the pacing.
    The art and animation was well done; it was great to see villains other than Joker and Luthor go up against Batman and Superman. Mirror Master was cool.
    Bane really needs to redesign his costume so the venom-tubes aren't exposed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gorosaurus View Post
    Nice movie; a reviewer elsewhere asked " Why do all the DC animated movies time out at 80 minutes?" An extra 10 minutes would have helped the pacing.
    The art and animation was well done; it was great to see villains other than Joker and Luthor go up against Batman and Superman. Mirror Master was cool.
    Bane really needs to redesign his costume so the venom-tubes aren't exposed.
    that was IGN, which gave it a 7/10

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Black Cat View Post
    My favorite part is how Batman keeps assuring everybody the plans weren't meant to kill, just to incapacitate.
    Superman - Shoot him with a kryptonite bullet. Batman Commentary: I meant just the leg!
    Wonder Woman - Make her fight until her heart gives out. Batman Commentary: I thought she'd just get tired!
    Flash - Attach a bomb to him. Batman Commentary: The bomb was made of... candy?
    Green Lantern - Make him cry. Batman's actually okay here.
    Martian Manhunter - Set him on fire. CONSTANTLY. Although that's his weakness, it wouldn't outright kill him. I think. So that's two for Batman's incapacitate theory.

I actually really liked the film, the only thing that really bothered me was GL's whine fest. Even with Batman explaining about Scarecrow gas being used to amp up the fear, it seemed a pretty weak way to handle GL.
    Actually I think that's how he died in Final Crisis.

Overall I really enjoyed it. Burying Bruce next to his parent's corpses is one of the most f'd up things I e ever seen a supervillain do to a hero! I was actually kinda shocked. Just had a few issues with the contingency plans for the heroes. While the concept of the Wonder Woman plan was cool, I just don't see a demi-god like Diana almost having a heart attack after fighting 20 or so mortals. Plus how many people did she kill?!? One punch from her would smash a person's head. I loved the idea of using Scarecrow's fear gas on Hal, sticking with the whole Will Power vs Fear thing, but all those robots made the set up kinda complicated. Overall i really liked the movie. Cyborg was awesome! Loved his character design and his welcome into the Justice League.