Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default ! Official VESCELL hangout x Q&A thread !

Hello Everyone!

My Name is Enrique Carrion and I am the Creator and Writer of the Image Comic Book Vescell.

First of all I want to thank all the loyal readers who have enjoyed VESCELL and hope you continue to spread the word about the book.

Image Comics is coming with some heavy heat and is really bringing some great books to the world of shared Imagination.

I will do my best to check in regularly and look forward to hanging out with you guys, sitting down talking VESCELL, and answering any Questions you may have about Mauricio Barrino and his crazy world.

and again thank you to all the VESCELL readers, forum representers, and comic convention prop givers!

peace

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vescell #4- Church of Fame.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	89161

Thank you for being here.

I can't wait for saturday( that's when I go to my shop with a friend to get the week's current comics ) to get the latest issue. Hands down when this book comes out it's always at the bottom of my pile to read( I go from at the top least fav to fav at the bottom ) and has been my pick of the week since issue #1
    Child Of The Atom Smasher
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew
    Get well Christ Bearer

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Preview for #6!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=11596

I most likely won't be able to get my issue today as I'm shooting all weekend. But reading the preview, Moo's mom?! And she looks very familiarly. Is she based on that lovely lady I saw that day at NYCC?

Can't wait for the return of Batan!
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    Thank you for being here.

I can't wait for saturday( that's when I go to my shop with a friend to get the week's current comics ) to get the latest issue. Hands down when this book comes out it's always at the bottom of my pile to read( I go from at the top least fav to fav at the bottom ) and has been my pick of the week since issue #1
    Good looking Genki Sudo! and thanks for all the Support!!! Let me know this weekend how you like Vescell #6 !

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Preview for #6!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=11596

I most likely won't be able to get my issue today as I'm shooting all weekend. But reading the preview, Moo's mom?! And she looks very familiarly. Is she based on that lovely lady I saw that day at NYCC?

Can't wait for the return of Batan!
    Peace Greg!!!

yea the women that helps Machi in issue #6 is based on my Mom!

Oh yea Batan is back in full effect!

Swwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

A Vescell community(Vescellcom) thread....& finally #6 preview is up.

Gonna get it as soon as possible.

Big holla 2 Carrion.

Review: Vescell #6
    http://www.comicbastards.com/2012/02...vescell-6.html

After really enjoying the last issue of Vescell I decided to continue on with the series. This newest issue isnít quite as great, but itís damn close and still a very good read that has continued my interest in the series. Mission Accomplished for the creative team! That is their goal after all to hook new readers on the series so that sales increase and they can work on the book more. Well it worked, I bought the last issue (the cover helped) and I will pick up this issue as well.

I love it when comics attempt something new and this issue breaks from the three act structure that basically every comic follows and most should always stick to. You can tell when a writer is creating out of their ass when the structure is broken, but with Vescell it works. Itís essentially split into two, but whatís clever is that each half has a loose three act structure to it. I was actually surprised when the story started the next chapter of the book because I thought it was done.

The first half is about Machi aka Shortwings coming out of her cocoon. Mauricio our main character prepares for her arrival and itís a great moment that shows his compassion and care. The characters share some banter and then they break into Machiís experiences within the cocoon. She was transported to her home which is another dimension, but itís under attack due to the scales of good and evil being tipped to far one way. She learns a life lesson from Mauricioís mother and grows her new wings.

The second story is strange, highly sexual and ridiculously funny at the same time. The gist is that a cyborg, Batan is on a case for Cybercan that involves the death of several of their employees and the gathering of the employeeís brain data. Thatís my wording by the way; it was the easiest way to describe it. Batan uses his gay lover as bait for the ripper (dual meaning), but doesnít know that Mauricio has been hired to find the same man on behalf of Vescell. The two groups run into each other and more hilarity ensuesÖ but the tale ends very somberly.

The story wasnít as balls to the wall as the last issue, but it was fun and tried something different. More importantly, it worked. This issue gives the reader the perfect chance to get to know the characters and find out what theyíre going to be up against in the future. I hope that there is a similar issue in the future that reiterates the different plot lines of the story since being a new reader Iím still a bit in the dark. In general though, the writing was very good and even though the characters all tend to share the same tone, theyíre still very unique with their own quirks and dialog mannerisms.

There are a lot ofÖ stereotypes that are reinforced in this series, but I donít think itís done in an offensive way. Hell, I could be wrong. All I know is that it didnít offend me and gave the book a very mature tone and attitude. Enrique Carrion has created an ambitious world and populated it with characters that are unique and as ambitious as the world. Itís fun in a mature well. Itís clear that this story will not be censored or controlled if it doesnít make sense to the plot and I like that. Frankly, everything is pretty much face value and sometimes itís nice to have a book like that.

It might be the sixth issue, but if youíre like me and new to the series this isnít a bad place to start. Like I said you really get to know the cast of characters and theyíre settled in to their roles in the story. Sure you may be in the dark on a few details like me, but unless youíre going to track down all of the other issues and fall behind even furtherÖ youíve got to start somewhere. A good read with a dose of maturity that is simply fun.

Score: 4/5

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Swwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

A Vescell community(Vescellcom) thread....& finally #6 preview is up.

Gonna get it as soon as possible.

Big holla 2 Carrion.
    Big Shout out to Silver Zeal!!!

Never read this book before (or heard of it).
    Will google and see what its about.

Really loved this issue, Machi is becoming one of my fav characters in this series
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew
    Get well Christ Bearer

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    Really loved this issue, Machi is becoming one of my fav characters in this series
    Thank You Genki Sudo!

Okay fellow StreetNerds! I hope we all saw that Vescell made and was on top of CBR's famed Buy pile:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=37334

So do digital Driveby's and please blow it up on your FB pages, twitters and other forum threads to let people know whats up!

Break yoself FOOL! GalactaSurfer's Avatar
    VESCELL - Sexy Sci-Fi Noir
    Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by GalactaSurfer View Post
    Every time I hear someone point out how they're tired that there's no black/latino voice in comics I gladly point to Vescell and say the big two won't give it to you but you got it at Image
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew
    Get well Christ Bearer

Maaaaaaaaan, Mr Carrion....dis issue was a lil 2 episodic 4 us particularly d 2nd story which had a gr8 opportunity of bringing in a shadowy figure in2 d whole Vescell world dynamic perhaps as a hint dat der r more baddies out der other dan d Devourers & Monarchess which can b used as d founding stone 4 a semi-regular ongoing sub-plot. In other words Mr Carrion, u hv a gr8 premise here with massive potential which has d capability of being high concept without pushing itself 2 seriously...simply put, u nd 2 ump-up d complexity of d plots.

By d way, we hvnt seen or even read any mention of d head of Cybercan, hv we?
    If not was has it(he/she/thing) been up2 all dis time?

On a gd note d Machi story a gd read & we finally got 2 c Upchurch do sum nice bakgrounds esp in Batan's apartment though it quickly went bak 2 blank bakgrounds 4 d almost d remaining of d issue.

Pls tk dis as constructive criticism bcuz we/SZ really really luv d ideas u & Upchurch hv 4 dis buk given d really gr8 genre combo its based on but it lacks d complexity of execution 2 go with it particularly with dis issue.

Pls dont 4get our requests & suggestions from d last thread(Vescell Snapbacks).

Luking 4ward 2 issue 7!