Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default DC Unveils Kevin Maguire's Earth 2 Robin Design

DC Comics has released the first full-body look at Helena Wayne, the Earth 2 daughter of Bruce Wayne, in her pre-Huntress alter-ego of Robin as conceived by "Worlds' Finest" series co-artist Kevin Maguire.

Full article here.

BANNED

ok this i like, its bizzare how much better the Robin outfit looks on a female, it gives the character a sense of badass that it rarely does on the male robins

The more preliminary art that is released the harder the wait becomes. I cant wait until this comes out!!!!!!

Now that right thar's a good design.

The center R as a clasp for the cape, the reinforced gloves, boots and shoulder pads are all nice.

I'm still disappointed that Dick doesn't appear to be the Batman in this story.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

That is a really cool take on the costume. :D

Valued Member Since 2008 semicyon's Avatar

I like this costume.

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Man, I like that design. Of all the female Robins, that costume is by far my favorite. (Of course, Carrie just had the standard Dick Grayson model and Steph had a very slightly modified version of Tim's, so it's nice to see Helena end up with one that's unique.)

The more I think about it, the more I think revealing Bertinelli to be Wayne in disguise actually can fit in pretty easily with pre-DCnU continuity. The defining qualities of Helena's interactions with Batman have always been a combination of desire for his approval and resenting his superiority and attitude toward her. That actually makes perfect sense for a character who (unbeknownst to anyone but her) is interacting with an alternate version of her own father. There's a mixture of that visceral reaction of wanting approval from someone who reminds you of your dad; but also resentment because he's NOT your dad, and how dare he try to be the Big Bat when he's not the real Batman, dammit (from Helena's perspective, obviously). Especially if the Earth-2 Batman ends up being someone other than Bruce Wayne, but really even if it is E-2 Bruce Wayne.

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

I like how this design incorporates some functional elements from her current Huntress costume like the shoulder and knee protection. It would make sense for her to keep those things she was used to working with.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Worlds' Finest, My Little Pony, The Flash, Birds of Prey, Batman '66

I like that; almost all of it. She is Robin now and will grow up to be Huntress. I'm used to Helena being the Huntress already and I was expecting that, but I guess I can adjust.

The only things I don't like are the bare arms. With all the armor/padding on her gloves, boots, and shoulders, it seems incongruous for her arms to be uncovered completely.

Why couldn't Drake get this outfit instead of that horrible get up they have him in?

Quote Originally Posted by Shimarenda View Post
    I like how this design incorporates some functional elements from her current Huntress costume like the shoulder and knee protection. It would make sense for her to keep those things she was used to working with.
    Yeah, I'm really digging this design and the continuity between the two costumes is a really nice choice that informs the costume and makes it more original than just being based off of Dick or Tim's.

The only thing I think I'd really change is I think the R's on her kneepads are a bit silly. And maybe ditch the extra thigh pouch but it doesn't bother me. Overall though, it's pretty awesome.
    Last edited by minasithil; 02-28-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Masked Bat-Mod RonnieThunderbolts's Avatar

The costume looks pretty good, IMHO. I'll echo what many have expressed as well, that the similarities between this and her Huntress costume are a cool connection between the former and current stages of her life.

Quote Originally Posted by brenticles View Post
    I like that; almost all of it. She is Robin now and will grow up to be Huntress. I'm used to Helena being the Huntress already and I was expecting that, but I guess I can adjust.
    She is Huntress "now" in the comics though, she is appearing currently in the Huntress mini-series. She WAS Robin, on Earth-2, but she and Karen Starr have been stranded on the main DC Earth and are now Huntress and Power Girl, after previously having been Robin, and presumably either Supergirl or Superwoman.

I was a little sceptical about Helena being Robin but I am willing to see how it goes. The costume looks great.

I'm sure this will be good, even that I will love it, but I am also still waiting for the "real" Earth-Two in a lot of ways--which this just ain't. I am sure it will be back in some form eventually, however.