Default How to collect Marvel story arcs?

Hello! I've been collecting comics for about half a year now, but they just seem to gather dust on my shelves once I take a glimpse at them. When subscribing to a superhero series, I tend to be interested in the first couple issues, then back off once the story becomes bland or too dialogue heavy. In my experience, the most action-packed and best written issues stem from important story arcs (EG: Fear Itself), and I think I'd save money and become more interested in the 'cream of the crop' of comics by only collecting those issues.

My question is how to go about collecting a story arc in it's entirety, take Fear Itself for example.

Comicvine (http://www.comicvine.com/fear-itself/39-56288/) lists Fear Itself as having 154 issues, but I don't really understand how/why there are comics related to Fear Itself, without the giant title 'Fear Itself' on the cover (EG Iron Man, Avengers Academy). Anyone have some good tips? Sites for checklists? Other good arcs to collect?

Thanks!

BANNED

Buy this first: New Avengers vol. 1: Breakout

This is outstanding and EXACTLY what you are looking for. It's a very important story. Action packed, with amazing art, by the best writer working in comics. It's only $10, so buy it NOW! If you do not love this story, I will eat worms and post pics, srsly!

Fear Itself is great, but don't read or buy anymore Fear Itself books until you read this book. Why? Because this comes before Fear Itself. Several years before. And if you love it, you can read everything important that came before by just starting here at vol. 1. This story leads to everything important. Civil War, Secret War, House of M, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion, Dark Avengers, Siege, then Fear Itself. Because it's vol 1, you don't have to read anything else before starting here.

Buy it first, then report back immediately when you purchase it, then report back again after you read it to give me your honest review.

If you have already read vol 1, then I have wasted my time posting this.

BANNED

Complete List Reading Order:

Title & Material collected

Volume 1: Breakout The New Avengers #1-6
    Volume 2: The Sentry The New Avengers #7-10; New Avengers: Most Wanted Files
    Volume 3: Secrets and Lies The New Avengers #11-15; Lead story from Giant-Size Spider Woman #1
    Volume 4: The Collective The New Avengers #16-20
    Volume 5: Civil War The New Avengers #21-25
    Volume 6: Revolution The New Avengers #26-31
    Volume 7: The Trust The New Avengers #32-37, Annual #2
    Volume 8: Secret Invasion (Book 1) The New Avengers #38-42
    Volume 9: Secret Invasion (Book 2) The New Avengers #43-47
    Volume 10: Power The New Avengers #48-50; Secret Invasion: Dark Reign
    Volume 11: Search for the Sorcerer Supreme The New Avengers #51-54
    Volume 12: Powerloss The New Avengers #55-60
    Volume 13: Siege The New Avengers #61-64, Annual #3; The New Avengers Finale

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzywoods View Post
    My question is how to go about collecting a story arc in it's entirety, take Fear Itself for example.

Comicvine (http://www.comicvine.com/fear-itself/39-56288/) lists Fear Itself as having 154 issues, but I don't really understand how/why there are comics related to Fear Itself, without the giant title 'Fear Itself' on the cover (EG Iron Man, Avengers Academy). Anyone have some good tips? Sites for checklists? Other good arcs to collect?

Thanks!
    the main story was 8 issues (IIRC). all those other books with the Fear Itself banner are taken from a different point of view. For example in Iron man we see how he and pepper deal with the troubles in Paris and tony going to asgard to build a new weapon. Journey into Mystery is about Loki working behind the scenes setting up different events that helps fear itself come to a close. and so on and so on for just about EVERY marvel title (very common with big events). Are they necessary? No. but if you like certain characters/writers/artists and want to see a different point of view away from the main mini series, then they are generally enjoyable.

you may be better collecting trade paper backs or hard covers as they typically cover 1 arc, or possibly 2. that will be much easier on you than following the monthly releases.
    Marvel: ASM, Deadpool, Thor, Iron Man, etc
    DC: Batman and related, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc
    Omnibus wishlist: Classic Deadpool, Pak Hulk, Spider-Man 2099