Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 75
  1. #46
    Marquis de carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belgium.
    Posts
    31,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Yeah, there's a reason that creators like Ennis, Ellis, BKV, etc aren't bringing anything new to Vertigo.
    And now you can add Grant Morrison to that list.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

  2. #47
    Hey, Larry! Darrell D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    And now you can add Grant Morrison to that list.
    Yeah, I saw that he took the book he's doing with Darick Robertson to Image.
    Wow.
    So, what will happen to Vertigo? Will it become Marvel's MAX, where creators do adult themed stories with corporate owned characters?

  3. #48
    Elder Member Libaax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    And now you can add Grant Morrison to that list.
    With the sales, acclaim Ennis has had with his several Dynamite series it wasnt smart in hindsight to make a thing of The Boys.

    Frankly the only reason i began to start reading Vertigo was Ennis comics like HB, War Stories, Ellis comics.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

  4. #49
    Say WHAT?!?!?!? FanboyStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Yeah, I saw that he took the book he's doing with Darick Robertson to Image.
    Wow.
    So, what will happen to Vertigo? Will it become Marvel's MAX, where creators do adult themed stories with corporate owned characters?
    Since all of Vertigo's corporate characters have already moved back to the DCU, I don't think that's what's going to happen. Karen Berger mentioned that Vertigo will be strictly creator-owned moving forward, and all of the new books launching this month are creator-owned. The difference is that DC/WB retains certain rights to the books, particularly those pertaining to other media, whereas at Image all of that is the domain of the creators. On the other hand, if you go if Image, you pay a publishing fee and will not see any money on the front end-- everything comes to you after the book has been published. At Vertigo, you will get a steady paycheck for as long as the book is published. That's why you tend to see creators that are breaking in or creators with an established fan base publishing with Image-- there is more of a financial risk if you're depending on the regular income.

  5. #50
    Junior Member Rawhide Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow (or Paris, France)
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Frankly the only reason i began to start reading Vertigo was Ennis comics like HB, War Stories, Ellis comics.
    Ok, but maybe it is time for Vertigo to go to look after the new generation of Ennis, Moore, Morrison, Ellis, whatever...
    Well, they already let shine authors like Carey, Willingham, Snyder, Robertson... right now.
    Thus no, I'm really not worried, the Vertigo books I'm reading now are good.
    (well, I'm worried about the last chapter of SeaGuy)
    The Unwritten - iZombie
    Frankenstein Agent of SHADE - Batwoman - The Flash - Captain Atom
    X Factor - Beasts of Burden - Star Wars Invasion - Witch Doctor

  6. #51
    Member Predator jp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    972

    Default

    i hope more creaters will move to Image because i'm a trade reader and Image is doing far better job on that front. at least with Image i can get my hands on lovely hardcovers as soon as possible. how long do i have to wait for Scalped hardcovers, a decade?

  7. #52
    Digital Reader NCatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Predator jp View Post
    i hope more creaters will move to Image because i'm a trade reader and Image is doing far better job on that front. at least with Image i can get my hands on lovely hardcovers as soon as possible. how long do i have to wait for Scalped hardcovers, a decade?
    Even if they ever do get collected in hardcover, the paper will be worst possible quality.

    Loved Vertigo, not so much these days - they used to be the best around for quality "Indie" work, but Image is wiping the floor with them at their own game.

  8. #53
    Elder Member Libaax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide Kid View Post
    Ok, but maybe it is time for Vertigo to go to look after the new generation of Ennis, Moore, Morrison, Ellis, whatever...
    Well, they already let shine authors like Carey, Willingham, Snyder, Robertson... right now.
    Thus no, I'm really not worried, the Vertigo books I'm reading now are good.
    (well, I'm worried about the last chapter of SeaGuy)
    Im not worried about Vertigo right now either, its the near future that might be problem. It needs more new comics like American Vampire. Less flops acclaim,trade wise. Stop losing talent to DCU so easily.

    You need more bold,different comics to survive. Fables spin offs is only good for the Fables fans you already have. Keep finding talent like Jason Aaron,Snyder.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

  9. #54
    Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Noir City
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Does anyone agree that new coming writers would be a good idea for vertigo?
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

    Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

  10. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTpitch View Post
    Does anyone agree that new coming writers would be a good idea for vertigo?
    I'm not sure what you mean. I mean, of course, it would be good for Vertigo to find up and coming writers. That was kind of their M/O for a while. But honestly, there are a ton of great up and coming talent in the industry, you just have to go and find it.
    Calling All Writers!
    Join the fledgling Ultimate DC Unified Fanfiction Community
    Ultimate DC Universe
    Tons of Titles still available!

  11. #56
    Senior Member Statham's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Im not worried about Vertigo right now either, its the near future that might be problem. It needs more new comics like American Vampire. Less flops acclaim,trade wise. Stop losing talent to DCU so easily.

    You need more bold,different comics to survive. Fables spin offs is only good for the Fables fans you already have. Keep finding talent like Jason Aaron,Snyder.
    I have to agree with this. I mean, they're launching another new American Vampire mini which is great, but again, it's already an established property. The biggest Vertigo book anyone will take notice of this month is Fairest - yet another Fables spinoff that I give about six issues, tops, before it folds like Cinderella. If Vertigo were still good at their old game, they wouldn't have let DC let people like Nick Spencer go. Vertigo would've done great with a series like Morning Glories.

    As it is, Image is wiping them up. Image has Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie doing Phonogram. Hickman doing stuff like Manhattan Projects. Morrison. Millar. The list goes on. Vertigo have no big-name creators, and their trade program is terrible; They can put out reprint after reprint of Sandman, but what about keeping 100 Bullets trades in print? Or Madame Xanadu? Vertigo has the same problem as their parent company, though. So it's not entirely their fault. DC make you wait until a book is on Issue 12 before putting out a trade with issues 1-6. Image, on the other hand? Morning Glories vol.1 was out while the iron was hot. Same for volume 2.

  12. #57
    Hey, Larry! Darrell D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Since all of Vertigo's corporate characters have already moved back to the DCU, I don't think that's what's going to happen. Karen Berger mentioned that Vertigo will be strictly creator-owned moving forward, and all of the new books launching this month are creator-owned. The difference is that DC/WB retains certain rights to the books, particularly those pertaining to other media, whereas at Image all of that is the domain of the creators. On the other hand, if you go if Image, you pay a publishing fee and will not see any money on the front end-- everything comes to you after the book has been published. At Vertigo, you will get a steady paycheck for as long as the book is published. That's why you tend to see creators that are breaking in or creators with an established fan base publishing with Image-- there is more of a financial risk if you're depending on the regular income.
    Actually, there is no publishing fee at Image. You may not receive any upfront money, but you don't have to pay anything to Image to publish.
    You would get your money after Image recoups what they spent for publishing, marketing, etc.
    From the Image site:
    http://www.imagecomics.com/faq/#q32

    How does publishing a comic book or graphic novel through Image work?

    Image was set up so that creators could do what they want with their creations, and reap the benefits financially. When a book is published by Image, creators are not paid up front. It can sometimes be two or three months before one sees money from a book. It sounds rough, and it most definitely can be. But if it's done right, the payoff can be far more rewarding than producing a book in the conventional manner.

    When the creator does finally get paid, they get paid on what their book makes after the cost of printing and Image's modest office fee, which covers solicitations, traffic, production, and some promotion of the book. We make no more money off of our highest selling book than we do our lowest.
    And, this is the most important part:
    Does Image take my film and television rights?

    No. You own ALL of your rights.
    So, for a creator doing work for the big two, Image is a LOT more attractive than Vertigo.

  13. #58
    Hey, Larry! Darrell D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxMulder2012 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. I mean, of course, it would be good for Vertigo to find up and coming writers. That was kind of their M/O for a while. But honestly, there are a ton of great up and coming talent in the industry, you just have to go and find it.

    With the contracts that Vertigo is using now, I would say that any up and coming writers should avoid them. There are far better options out there.

  14. #59
    Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Noir City
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxMulder2012 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. I mean, of course, it would be good for Vertigo to find up and coming writers. That was kind of their M/O for a while. But honestly, there are a ton of great up and coming talent in the industry, you just have to go and find it.
    That was basically the point of my post. to go out and find new writers. sorry for confusion
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

    Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

  15. #60
    Marquis de carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belgium.
    Posts
    31,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTpitch View Post
    That was basically the point of my post. to go out and find new writers. sorry for confusion
    Sure, but as has been stated, there is very little reason right now for those new writers to go to Vertigo.

    They'd have a much bigger chance of making a name for themselves doing superhero stuff, or even one of the less superheroey DCU books, or if they absolutely have something creator-owned they love and want to do, they'd be crazy to do it at Vertigo right now.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •