Default Boston Comic Con 2012

We're less than two months away from Boston Comic Con and I'm pretty stoked, as there are a bunch of great creators appearing this year. Plus I have more money on hand to spend on comics than I have had in the past for these shows, so it should be a fun time.

What I'm trying to figure out is what comics I should bring to have autographed. My number one rule of getting comics autographed is that I always have the creator autograph an issue of Avengers (or something Avengers related) if they ever worked on the book. Only a couple of this year's artists are Avengers related, though, so I'm struggling to figure out what books to bring. My number two rule is that I usually only bring a max of 2 comics for each creator, though sometimes I will bring three if they did several different projects that are important to me.

Here are some of the creators I am most interested in:

Al Feldstein -- I don't actually own any EC stuff, but I am strongly considering buying something for Feldstein to sign. He's a legend. And his EC sci-fi covers are amazing.

Steve Epting -- This one is easier of course, as Epting drew Avengers for a long time. I'm not quite sure which Avengers issue I should bring though; probably #367 with the Vision cover, as Vision is one of my favorite characters. I'll also probably bring a Captain America #25 as well.

Joe Sinnott -- Talk about a legend. He inked a few issues of Avengers and a few covers. But which to bring? I'm leaning towards #51, 102 or 160. He did ink a couple pages in #100, but only a handful so I think I'll bring something else. He also penciled some early Thor appearances in Journey Into Mystery, like #95 and 96, so I could bring one of those. Not my favorite issues though. Maybe something from Tales of Suspense or Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD instead?

Bill Sienkievicz -- I will probably bring Thor #333 because I just love the cover. It seems like he must have done some stories with the Avengers in them but I can't seem to think of any.

Bernie Wrightson -- Never worked on Avengers, but he did do the cover for Jonah Hex #9, so that will be my pick.

Michael Golden -- Avengers Annual #10 seems like a no brainer.

Jimmy Palmiotti -- More Jonah Hex.

Kevin Maguire -- Maybe something from the Adventures of Captain America mini series?

There are a lot of other great creators, but I've met Bob Layton and Herb Trimpe before and some of the others I don't really own anything by (like Tim Sale and Al Jaffee) so I think these are the ones I am going to aim for. Sergio Aragones was supposed to be there but unfortunately he had to cancel, which is a bummer.

Any suggestions on what I might get signed by these folks? Anyone else planning to attend the show?
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Joe Sinnott -- Talk about a legend. He inked a few issues of Avengers and a few covers. But which to bring? I'm leaning towards #51, 102 or 160. He did ink a couple pages in #100, but only a handful so I think I'll bring something else. He also penciled some early Thor appearances in Journey Into Mystery, like #95 and 96, so I could bring one of those. Not my favorite issues though. Maybe something from Tales of Suspense or Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD instead?
    I may be stating the obvious, but shouldn't Joe Sinnott's name go on something truly fantastic? Some thing you can read, that wouldn't be invisible? I may be able to come up with four suggestions for you.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Now that you mention it, I guess I do have two issues of Fantastic Four in my collection. #26 was inked by George Roussos, but #150 was done by Sinnott. If I bring that I will still have to figure out which Avengers issue to bring. #102 he did the cover as well as the interior, but the covers for 51 and 160 are cooler. He only did the covers for those though and not the interior. Hm.

How's the traffic for this convention? My wife, friends, and I may need a new mid-range convention to go to if Motor City doesn't get its act together this year. We don't like conventions that are TOO big and crowded. We just like meeting celebrities (preferably media celebrities for my wife) and talking it up with dealers while dropping a load of cash.

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Now that you mention it, I guess I do have two issues of Fantastic Four in my collection. #26 was inked by George Roussos, but #150 was done by Sinnott. If I bring that I will still have to figure out which Avengers issue to bring. #102 he did the cover as well as the interior, but the covers for 51 and 160 are cooler. He only did the covers for those though and not the interior. Hm.
    I'm glad I could help. I do need to blame you (in a good way though, thank you) for getting ME going to this con as well. Now I need to decide what I'd like to bring for Joe to sign.

In any case, I'd think cover work to be sufficient reason to justify an autograph, especially if you're an Avengers fan.

Wonder if the old baseball coach is hitting Sox/Yankees at Fenway that weekend.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    How's the traffic for this convention? My wife, friends, and I may need a new mid-range convention to go to if Motor City doesn't get its act together this year. We don't like conventions that are TOO big and crowded. We just like meeting celebrities (preferably media celebrities for my wife) and talking it up with dealers while dropping a load of cash.

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. Pumpkinhead might be able to answer that better; for one reason or another I haven't been able to attend this show for quite a while. I will say that while there are a ton of famous comic book folks at this show, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of non-comic celebrities, if that's what your wife is into.

Here's the website for the show with a list of creators:

http://bostoncomiccon.com/guests.html

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I wish I could be sure I was going to be able to go to the show.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

If I remember correctly I think Kevin Eastman is going to be there as well as Brian Azzarello and Tim Sale.

Okay, I have dragged my comics out of storage and ended up with the following books to get signed:

Steve Epting -- Avengers #367, Captain America #1
    Joe Sinnott -- Avengers #102, Fantastic Four #150
    Bill Sienkievicz -- Thor #333
    Bernie Wrightson -- Jonah Hex #9
    Michael Golden -- Avengers Annual #10
    Kevin Maguire -- Adventures of Captain America #1

I was planning to have Epting sign Captain America #25, but I discovered that for some reason I have a variant cover that some other dude drew, which is annoying because the normal cover by Epting is one of the most iconic covers of the past 15 years. I may buy a regular copy at the show if I see one cheap.

I'm working both days of the convention

Hey Scott, Sinnott inked Fatastic Four #150. It was the second part of a crossover between the Avengers that started in Avengers #127. It's the wedding of Crystal and Pietro.
    Life is what you make it.

I went to the Boston show a few weeks back. I found it surprising that the demographics have changed since the last time I went to a show two years ago. In the past the conventions consisted mostly of middle age men and few younger kids. I've also noticed in the past few years that the crowds have been getting a bit smaller. This convention however was not only packed, but I saw a lot of younger kids. To my surprise there were a fair amount of women as well. And wearing costumes seemed to be the trend.

I’m not sure why the sudden change, but it didn’t look like comic book collecting was a dying hobby.

The very successful superhero movies have made cons a hot place to be for all kinds of people. The costumes are based on the movies. It's great.
    Life is what you make it.