Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Zircher & Brevoort Deliver a "Shock to the System" in "Captain America"

Artist Patrick Zircher joins writer Ed Brubaker in May for a new arc of "Captain America." CBR spoke with him and editor Tom Brevoort about the arc featuring Cap hunting for a murderer.

Full article here.

BANNED

Why can't they just say Diamondback. Guess it must be a surprise cliffhanger ending or I guess they don't think anyone cares enough for it to be enough for a draw to mention it in the solicitations. I know somebody it is for.....

I'm assuming the other is Scourge.

I am worried that Brubaker's previous disinterest in Diamondback may result in a very different character though. But hey any non A-listers getting any kind of spotlight at the moment is all good.

I'd be amused if the return of Diamondback was met with an increase in sales though. I miss the Gruenwald Cap era. That was probably the last time I found the book an essential read.
    Last edited by Sabrewulf; 02-23-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Sentinal of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

VERY stoked to see Patrick Zircher on Cap! Mystery Men is still one of my favorite titles from 2011! I loved Greunwald's Cap but I'm very excited to see Brubaker's take on Diamondback and Scourge. I wonder if The Bar With No Name" will make an appearance?

BANNED

DIAMONDBACK!
    Diamondback Diamondback Diamondback!
    DIAMONDBACK!

I'm absolutely stoked for this arc! Zircher's pages look amazing and I'm glad that this'll be a grittier Cap tale.

Personally, I think we're going to see a new Scourge, since it fits in with the whole killing (reformed, in hiding) super criminals. Just a wild guess, though.
    Omactivate! RIP

Attention! Invading alien scum! I am Bentley, scourge of man, destroyer of hope, and I also have a passing interest in dinosaurs -- Prepare to surrender now!

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Default I like the art

and the idea of older Cap characters showing up, makes me smile. I think I'll trade wait for this since Bru's stuff is collected so darn quick. It'll be nice to read a Cap book from Bru again.

So looks like I'll be reading this and the Winter Soldier in trade form since the latter has disappointed and frustrated me in monthly format.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

I'm worried Brubaker's previous disinterest in Diamondback will result in her gratuitous death for "shock value". That would suck.
    And that will make me drop the book.
    I believe all that needs to be said has been. So here’s my two cents.”
    -- ScottMC, inadvertently summing up the Internet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    I'm worried Brubaker's previous disinterest in Diamondback will result in her gratuitous death for "shock value". That would suck.
    And that will make me drop the book.

Very big ditto from me.

Default Ohh..

Something just occured to me.

What if the whole reason Cap get's involved in this, is if the murder victim is Diamondback? (She could be in the witness protection programme as a former villain testifying against her old colleagues..)

Man, that would really suck! Loved Cap & Diamondback back in the day, and still feel she's more interesting for Cap than Sharon.

Ohh..Looks like this just occured to a couple of other folk above me. I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not, then I'm certainly never reading another book by Brubaker again..

An infinitely more interesting story would be if Cap was murdered and Diamondback was hunting the murderer.

Diamondback is a vastly underrated character. Don't waste her, Marvel.
    I believe all that needs to be said has been. So here’s my two cents.”
    -- ScottMC, inadvertently summing up the Internet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    An infinitely more interesting story would be if Cap was murdered and Diamondback was hunting the murderer.

Diamondback is a vastly underrated character. Don't waste her, Marvel.
    Now that would actually get me to pick up the book.

I don't think Brubaker will kill her off but I'm concerned he will take the fun out of the character like he tends to do with most of the characters he works on.
    It's not bad writing but he just makes everything so drab and serious.

Chaotically Neutral Specimen 297's Avatar

DIAMONDBACK. SCOURGE. ZIRCHER.

I am going to be all over this.
    I'd just like everyone to know that not only am I dropping Marvel, I'm dropping this forum considering I'm not even allowed to voice a negative opinion because a thread "isn't about me".

Chaotically Neutral Specimen 297's Avatar

I honestly don't think Diamondback will die. And I'm incredibly cynical with Marvel's current output.

Even though Bru said he doesn't like the character, he's not the sort of writer to twist a story or character to fit his grand scheme of what the Marvel continuity should be like unlike a certain Avengers writer. I also think he's very conscious and aware that the character has a large fanbase who have been quite dissatisfied with her absence, so I think he'll try to keep them happy.

I think the "deaths" will be Serpent Society members like Fer-De-Lance, Rattler, Copperhead, Coachwhip, Boomslang and Slither... kinda useless folks like that. They really don't add anything to the Marvel Universe and I really doubt they have fans. Don't think most of them have been seen since Gru. Bru might through in one bigger one like Anaconda or Bushmaster to give the story impact. But definitely not Diamondback (for starters, Scourge kills villains.. Diamondback isn't one).

To stoke S/D even more, it's possible we could even see Constrictor if they go with that idea... since the original Scourge did try to kill him and that's what brung Cap and Diamondback together.

I so can't wait for this story. I just hope my belief in Bru is warranted and he doesn't have Sharon roundhouse Diamondback on every page...
    Last edited by Specimen 297; 02-23-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    I'd just like everyone to know that not only am I dropping Marvel, I'm dropping this forum considering I'm not even allowed to voice a negative opinion because a thread "isn't about me".

Default CBR: Zircher & Brevoort Deliver a "Shock to the System" in "Captain America"

I hope they include that 1999 issue of CAP Zircher mentions here in the eventual TPB.
    EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!