Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here's another vote for Schaffenberger. This guy was great, and doesn't get enough recognition.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

I knew his art, from years of lois lane stories he drew, so when he did shazam 20, back in mid 1975, I both knew his art, and something of his history on the character.He should have done the book from the first issue.I also like issue 34 the Alan weiss issue, and Dave Cochrums one and only capt.marvel jr effort in issue 9.A shame he had the altercation that at the time it came out,led to him walking from dc, through he offered to still draw the strip.Dc had a simple rule,no working also for marvel!So,the title was denied any more of cocrums art.Its the issue with the monkey on the cover,you know dc and monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Here's another vote for Schaffenberger. This guy was great, and doesn't get enough recognition.
    Hear, hear! He is my fav Capt. Marvel artist, and he did a terrific job for DC on (I believe it was called) "The Adventures of Superboy".

Would love to see his work get some respect and a reprint!

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    I liked Pete Costanza. It's too bad he had his stroke when he did, because otherwise he could have been around to do Cap when DC got the rights.

Imagine if we could have had Pete, C.C., Kurt, Bob Oksner, Dave Cockrum, and Don Newton all doing Marvel Family stories in the 70s.

Also, I gotta admit I like Alex Ross's Big Red Cheese. I don't like painted stories in comic books as a rule--but every time Ross has touched Cap it's felt right.

If DC had handed Shazam! over to Ross and let him do anything he wanted with the character, they would have made so much money and Captain Marvel would have gotten the kind of fan attention he desperately needed.
    My choice for NUMBER ONE favorite HAS to be ALEX ROSS! I just loved his version in KINGDOM COME and every time he does a Marvel Family related cover for ALTER EGO I would buy it just so I could tear off the cover! His Mary Marvel is also great and his idea for using the actor who portrayed Billy Batson on the 70s show--for CAPTAIN MARVEL JR (!) was brilliant!

RUNNER UPs:

JERRY ORDWAY
    MIKE NORTON
    PETE CONSTANZA
    MAC RABOY (Captain Marvel Jr.)
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!