Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC relaunch

BANNED

I started buying DC two years before the new 52. Was thinking of dropping it altogether but decided to give it another try. Some titles were a disappointment but I enjoyed the majority of what I bought.
    Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    I can't and wont follow a company who is so willing to delete characters that fans have been following for years on end.
    That's why I dropped Amazing Spider-Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by timeismoney View Post
    Marvel, DC when you think about it, it's all the same both got good titles both got bad titles and trust me you will see that 3.99 price point slowly come to DC.
    We already saw DC at 3.99 but they brought their titles back down to 2.99. They brought back the 3.99 price point but they gave fans extra material. Still sucks but at least it doesn't feel like a rip off.

I never really got into DC. I don't know why, because I enjoy some of the characters and the first comic I actually read was from DC. Since the relaunch, I am definitely going to start picking up some books in tpb format (which will be in...what...a year?). Hopefully I can finally get into DC.
    Good news everyone! I've taught the toaster to feel love.

Meh.

More of the same by DC.
    They do reboots every five or so years,and i have seen that before.
    Was nothing that made me read much more dc comics that before.

I read some titles are good but over all its is just a hyped gimmick.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

For me (as an individual), their strategy worked 100%. I collected only Marvel comics and found the old DC continuity and universe impenetrable, confusing and ridiculous (how many Crises do they need?). The relaunch cleared all that away and allowed me to hop on board with a few titles and I think they are pretty good. That's taken me from zero to three DC titles - I'm sure I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    That's why I dropped Amazing Spider-Man.
    Your favorite character was Mary Jane? You do know she only appeared in 2-4 pages at the most in a Spiderman title right? Whatever to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    We already saw DC at 3.99 but they brought their titles back down to 2.99. They brought back the 3.99 price point but they gave fans extra material. Still sucks but at least it doesn't feel like a rip off.
    They brought back to 2.99 because they were barley selling at 2.99. Bringing the price to 3.99 was dumb on their part.

"Hey I know we hadn't been selling that well for the past decade but lets raise the price. I'm sure we will get sales then."

Whoever came up with that idea must have got his degree behind a Mom and Pop store.
    Last edited by NamorsTrident; 02-19-2012 at 06:27 PM.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Love it.

From the mid 80's to early 2000's I read Marvel exclusively except for some Image stuff in the mid 90's and Crossgen later. I read a small amount of DC (JLA, Green Lantern, and Flash mostly) the last ten years.

Now I don't read any Marvel but am reading around 15 DC books a month. While this in large part is my protest against Marvel over $3.99 I've also grown very bored with Marvel and I've even dropped the $2.99 books like X-men Legacy that I was getting.

I used to read more by Marvel, primarily the X- Men comics. I did, however, read several Vertigo titles.

Now, more of my comics are DC. They are releasing several horror/dark fantasy titles, which are right up my alley. They also have several successful series with females as leads.

Of course, I would love for Marvel to make more comics that appeal to me! Many of their big brand names just don't at the moment.
    Nanny: The True Phoenix Egg

DC has some good stuff and some bad stuff, just like Marvel. I'm generally a Marvel fan first, but a good book is a good book, regardless of whoever publishes it.

Right now, I'm loving Action Comics, Batman, Blue Beetle (very underrated!), Justice League, Justice League International, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Supergirl, and Wonder Woman. And I'm looking forward to World's Finest, even though Power Girl's new costume is kind of lame.
    "I want to see beautiful people doing amazing things." - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    Oh. Well she going be the next big arch. Scott said RH&O goes to outerspace.issue one she was popular with the gang.....
    Which is worry some as Scott did not want her in the book and she's only there because someone higher up said tough luck she's in the book, now you could make a argument on her actions in the first issue being Scott taking a piss on her or him just actually being clueless( I thought it was the dumbest thing you could do but controversy makes $$$ and half the fans on the DC boards have freely admitted they get the book because of that controversy ).
    Child Of The Atom Smasher
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew
    Get well Christ Bearer

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    Which is worry some as Scott did not want her in the book and she's only there because someone higher up said tough luck she's in the book, now you could make a argument on her actions in the first issue being Scott taking a piss on her or him just actually being clueless( I thought it was the dumbest thing you could do but controversy makes $$$ and half the fans on the DC boards have freely admitted they get the book because of that controversy ).
    Well at least the next arch will focus on her.. I'm going check out issue 9 for the night owls event. Hopefully it's gotten better.

I've been reading comics since the mid 80s and never followed any DC titles (except death of Superman/reign of Supermen). I was getting a little burned out on what Marvel was putting out and thought about taking a look at DC finally just around Flashpoint and then I heard the rumors of the reboot.

I probably have picked up at least one issue of 3/4 of the New 52 as well as a couple limited series and I was glad. I am not saying overall it was better than Marvel but for me I found a lot more interest and enjoyment. There was a lot of good stuff and I had to drop a lot.

Marvel is still the universe I prefer, maybe because I am so familiar with it, but as I've had to cut my pull list down by a lot, it was much easier to drop most of the Marvel books I was reading than any of the DC I was still following.

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

It worked for me. The only stuff from DC I had been reading regularly pre52 was Morrison's Batman and Robin/inc., Cornell's Action Comics, Rucka and Snyder's Detective Comics runs and Johns' GL and Flash, and I had dropped the latter two. Now I'm reading Action, All Star Western, Animal Man, Batman, Batwoman, I, Vampire, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Swamp Thing, and Wonder Woman, and shall be adding Batman Inc., Dial H, and Earth 2 when they are released. For comparison, my Marvel list is currently 21 titles strong, and I get 14 other creator owned series.

The Anti Internet Fanboy

I think it's crap for the most part. The only books I read before that I still read are Snyder's Batman, Batman and Robin, and the main GL book. I gained Wonder Woman cuz of Azzarello, Red Hood and the Outlaws cuz I love Jason Todd's character and I Vampire. Justice League I'll keep getting but hopefully it improves on the next arc.

IMO Flash has sucked besides the art, Superboy has been ruined for me (that is NOT Conner Kent), in fact the entire Super family sucks, the rest of the GL books have gotten just boring for me. No JSA. I could go on and on

Bottom line I'm really glad the reboot worked for DC sales wise and I hope it continues to do good business. But for me it ruined a whole lot I loved about DC.
    Loving Marvel NOW! right now! Amazing books. Down to just Batman for DC. New 52 sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHER9 View Post
    But for me it ruined a whole lot I loved about DC.
    You mentioned Superboy, but curious which other DC books you were reading pre-relaunch that have since been ruined?

You also mentioned GL got boring, but that didn't change much b/c of the nu52.

I like comics

I'm following Action Comics, Batwoman, and Demon Knights. I will be picking Batman Inc when it starts in May. I did read Stormwatch, but I'm dropping it now that Paul Cornell is off. I read Justice League for 2 issues, but dropped it because it was pointless.

I read a ton of Marvel. Almost all of the X-Men and Avengers books. Marvel just has more ongoing stories and concepts that I'm interested in. The X-line right now is just phenomenal.